Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 12:25 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,860,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Why would you ever move some where that had an HOA? You give up control of your property to someone else. Might as well live in an apartment.
I second the motion! I get that HOA's may work for some, but they do not work for me. I specifically found a home in a non-HOA area in Green Valley to buy. I lived in one HOA situation previously and I vowed, never again. The concept might be good, but this issues arise when you have too many neighbors that have nothing better to do than snoop and try to find violations.

Again, that is just me and my experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2019, 01:02 PM

30,350 posts, read 19,138,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkolodzi View Post
I second the motion! I get that HOA's may work for some, but they do not work for me. I specifically found a home in a non-HOA area in Green Valley to buy. I lived in one HOA situation previously and I vowed, never again. The concept might be good, but this issues arise when you have too many neighbors that have nothing better to do than snoop and try to find violations.

Again, that is just me and my experience.
Do you have access to some of the recreation and social activities of Green Valley. I'm torn because I see your point but also like the amenities and activities. I own 3 houses that have HOA's but don't live in them, I rent them out.

Old 06-25-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Do you have access to some of the recreation and social activities of Green Valley. I'm torn because I see your point but also like the amenities and activities. I own 3 houses that have HOA's but don't live in them, I rent them out.
At this point in life, I still work and I have some projects I am working on. In addition, we have a pretty active social life with our neighbors. My particular house does not have the Green Valley Recreation (GVR) attached to the deed, so I do not have access to those, but many of the homes here do have that access, but with the associated cost. I really do not want this access tied to my deed, so it is not for me. I do a lot of walking, and we have a pool, so for now, we are good. I really do like the fact that there is no HOA telling me what I can and can't do. I have some friends that live in HOA areas, and they tell me nightmare stories where the complaining started with their moving van, and plants that were dead before they could even get moved in!!! As you might imagine, there were hard feelings right off the bat. Absolutely NOT for me!

On a different track, great job on the rentals! That will help with retirement income!

Old 06-25-2019, 01:48 PM

30,350 posts, read 19,138,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkolodzi View Post
At this point in life, I still work and I have some projects I am working on. In addition, we have a pretty active social life with our neighbors. My particular house does not have the Green Valley Recreation (GVR) attached to the deed, so I do not have access to those, but many of the homes here do have that access, but with the associated cost. I really do not want this access tied to my deed, so it is not for me. I do a lot of walking, and we have a pool, so for now, we are good. I really do like the fact that there is no HOA telling me what I can and can't do. I have some friends that live in HOA areas, and they tell me nightmare stories where the complaining started with their moving van, and plants that were dead before they could even get moved in!!! As you might imagine, there were hard feelings right off the bat. Absolutely NOT for me!

On a different track, great job on the rentals! That will help with retirement income!
I think I saw one of your videos on Youtube where you walked in the high heat in GV? GV seems really nice.

Wife and I do want to make another trip to Arizona and see Green Valley, more of Tucson, and other areas. We are thinking of selling one of our investment houses and buying something else possibly in GV. But our grandkids in Seattle are keeping us here for at least another year.

Old 06-25-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I think I saw one of your videos on Youtube where you walked in the high heat in GV? GV seems really nice.

Wife and I do want to make another trip to Arizona and see Green Valley, more of Tucson, and other areas. We are thinking of selling one of our investment houses and buying something else possibly in GV. But our grandkids in Seattle are keeping us here for at least another year.
I completely understand. Yes, I did a video about walking on a 113 degree day. I also have about 450 more videos about wildlife, local events and my project cars. I hope you give Green Valley a good look. We moved here 5 years ago and love being here every day. Probably better stop posting here as I am off the subject!

Old 01-13-2020, 09:00 AM

114 posts, read 334,394 times
Default Saddlebrooke HOAs reasonable and much lower than most

To the question about fees and amenities.
Saddlebrooke area north of Tucson, is a very large community with tons of amenities. Great location in the foothills with viewsof the adjacent forest and mountains, right next to it,

You need to be careful when looking at many of the communities for fees and amenities available.
There is another community called Saddlebrooke Ranch. THATis NOT Saddlebrooke. It has a newer clubhouse but a lot less amenities and not near the size of lots, widthof streets, open spaces, performing arts theaterand multiple restaurants and views at main Saddlebrooke.

And most important Saddlebrooke Ranch has higher dues and some hidden fees like mandatory food and beverage, and amenity fee.

We just spent a considerable amount of time evaluating Arizona resort style adult communities and found the main Saddlebrooke community to have the best bang for the buck, better weather and much better surroundings and amenities than others.

The HOA fees for 2020 are around 200 fir main Saddlebrooke and no mandatory food beverage.

Old 01-13-2020, 09:50 PM

364 posts, read 617,689 times
HOA's keep my neighbor from painting his house neon orange and parking garbage in his front yard. I will take a reasonably priced HOA over no HOA any day of the week...

Old 01-17-2020, 09:42 AM

5,151 posts, read 3,080,320 times
In four years our HOA fees (55+ community north of Vail) increased from $195 to $220. They also instituted the dreaded CIF, as a 2% fee at closing split between buyer and seller (yeah riiight) used to pay off a big loan the HOA entered.

It’s my understanding that these CIF fees could become an issue if mortgage investors (the folks that “own” the house if it’s not a cash deal) decide they don’t like an HOA hand in their pockets. They could demand no CIFs and that would close the secondary markets for 95% of mortgages, or they would simply jack up the rates.

Old 01-19-2020, 05:52 PM

7 posts, read 8,038 times
HOA in Saddlebrooke seems to be very reasonable and lower than similar communities.
Stability at the main Saddlebrooke is possibly a result of size. Lots of homes to share costs and amenities.
When doing comparison shopping it was much better than almost all of them in Arizona.

Old 02-14-2020, 07:07 AM

108 posts, read 94,449 times
IMO,

HOA's are out of control and should be banned. Other than by consent , contract and desire to live in a particular place, where do they get the legal right to control other peoples lives. They are not a government entity and have no power than what you give them. they are as corrupt and politically money oriented as any city.
Why pay a group of strangers to tell you what you can and cannot do with your property and even to join their little club. I has become the norm in most cities and they don't even provide a gate anymore. [rant off]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson