Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 01:30 PM

130 posts, read 147,277 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any suggestions on any reasonably priced hotels in Manhattan? I will be going there with my wife this summer and am looking for a decent, clean hotel under $150 a night if such a place exists. Cleanliness and security are our main concerns. We will basically just be sleeping and getting ready for the day/night in our room so we are not concerned with much more than the shape of the room and bathroom. We do not want to stay in a place with shared bathrooms. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2007, 01:34 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,130,674 times
You might try the Southgate on 7th Avenue @ 32nd Street; they also have a sister hotel on the East Side. Last night I checked the rates were below $150/night.

Old 05-01-2007, 05:32 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,258,215 times
I just wanted to say good luck! They are few and far between! I know b'c I never found one for under $200 and I've been probably a dozen times or so. My friend, however, did find one for $150 but I think she just got lucky!

Old 05-01-2007, 10:57 PM

7,056 posts, read 19,323,074 times
There's a LaQuinta in Koreatown that has low rates. I stayed there 2 years ago and I think it was $109 or $119 on a weeknight for a room with 1 queen bed. Not a bad place, just a no-frills place. It's close to Herald Square and tons of subway lines. I'm sure all of the travel search engines would pick it up. Otherwise go to the laquinta.com website.

Old 05-21-2007, 02:31 AM

2,994 posts, read 3,766,399 times
I stayed last December in Best Western Convention Center.
This hotel is very great for that price.

522 W 38th Street, New York City, New York, 10018-1104, US
Phone: 212-405-1700 Fax: 212-947-1545

The position is very wonderful!!!!!

Old 05-22-2007, 11:30 AM

554 posts, read 2,308,291 times
Hotel Pennsylvania and the New Yorker often have more reasonable rates. They're both near Penn Station.

I've stayed at a B&B called the 414 Inn a few times and our room was around $150 before tax. It's just a couple blocks from Times Square off 46th in between 9th and 10th.

Old 05-22-2007, 02:09 PM

786 posts, read 4,734,740 times
You can stay at a nice place in New York for about $120 a night if you name your own price on Priceline.com. These same hotels would cost about $250 if you booked through the hotel directly.

Old 05-26-2007, 07:11 AM

1,332 posts, read 1,991,123 times
Default Look outside of Manhattan

I was born and raised in NYC. And, I always suggest that people consider looking for hotels outside of Manhattan.

You may get a good deal on the popular discount web sites - But, some of the hotels are not that great (Just think of the turnover in these hotels). And, quite frankly - With that turnover in the hotels and the congestion of buildings in Manhattan, exterminating is almost useless (to get right to the point).

There is a good transit system in the NYC area. You can look for a hotel near a commuter train station - And be in and out of the city in about 30 minutes.

These outer area hotels would be in more open spaces (allowing you to get away from the hustle and bustle), have more amenities, and generally be nicer places. Definitely you will get more for the money. And the difference in prices, could make up for a good part of the commuting costs.

Also, some of them would be in nice little towns.

Try looking at places in Long Island, Westchester NY, New Jersey and even Connecticut - Such as Stamford (nice city with hotels within walking distance to station) and Greenwich (which can be pricey - though there is a nice hotel on the water and right next to the train station).

The trains from north of the city (Westchester, Rockland and CT) go into Grand Central Station, while the trains from Long Island and New Jersey go into Penn Station. Both right in the center of Manhattan.

Also, you do not want to take a car into Manhattan - Parking is very expensive, traffic is terrible. So, if you are driving to the NYC area, you may be better off leaving your car parked at one of the suburb hotels. Just the risk of accidents in NYC (even fender benders) is enough to take the train. For a while, I drove a taxi there - And, to this day when I visit, I take the trains.

Old 05-26-2007, 10:09 AM

2,408 posts, read 14,399,443 times
I second the recommendation of staying in the suburbs if cost is of the utmost concern to you. There are budget chains like Motel 6 and Super 8 in New Jersey and elsewhere in the suburbs where you can find a perfectly decent room for $60/night, and then round-trip train fare into the city would run around $10-15. While there's something to be said for staying in the center of the action, as migee pointed out, there are some drawbacks as well and some of the hotels, even if within the city itself, may require just as much commuting time to sights and attractions as would a train from the suburbs, considering the heavy city traffic. If you're just seeing your hotel room as basicaly shelter for the night, as just a place to shower, get dressed and go to sleep, I think that it's worth it to check out the suburbs.

Old 06-03-2007, 12:49 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,136,207 times
I suggest looking for apartment rentals. Typically cheaper than a normal hotel room in Manhattan.

new york city sublets & temporary classifieds - craigslist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel