Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 05:34 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,773,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Maybe because people are spending too much on that mortgage

sorry - couldn't resist...
True !

Or stuff.

For example I could spend $300 to see a concert OR I could buy a resale vintage designer bag.
One last a few hours.... the other could potential last a life time.

I am cutting back on high priced concert tickets to cover the last of high prices ( resale purchased at huge discount) items like jewellery and bags.

My goal is a real Van Cleef necklace. I bought a fake by accident ( freaked out on the punk who sold it to me and they he ended up giving it to me for free ). Please note anyone who has ever sold me fake stuff under the pretense of being authentic has felt my wrath at it's worst!

It looks real and other people that actually work selling authentic designer items thought it was really ( LOL )... but I know it is fake . So all I need to save is $18 000 plus tax and then I can get a real one lol !!!! Something says that fake necklace and me are going to be friends for a long long long time.

I need to figure out who all these millionaires are that help keep these stores open. I don't think this place sells anything under $3000 k and I never see anyone in there except the sale person and the security guard. It is strange. I think I need to devote at least one day just sitting outside some of these stores to chronicle the people that actually go in and leave with bags. I probably have security chasing me away .... like in Paris. When the door man at a Chanel store in Paris wagged his finger at me saying I could not take a picture from across the street. I took 12 photos just for spite !

Anyone have any idea who is buying this stuff???????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 05:50 PM

15,102 posts, read 16,013,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
True !

Or stuff.

For example I could spend $300 to see a concert OR I could buy a resale vintage designer bag.
One last a few hours.... the other could potential last a life time.

I am cutting back on high priced concert tickets to cover the last of high prices ( resale purchased at huge discount) items like jewellery and bags.

My goal is a real Van Cleef necklace. I bought a fake by accident ( freaked out on the punk who sold it to me and they he ended up giving it to me for free ). Please note anyone who has ever sold me fake stuff under the pretense of being authentic has felt my wrath at it's worst!

It looks real and other people that actually work selling authentic designer items thought it was really ( LOL )... but I know it is fake . So all I need to save is $18 000 plus tax and then I can get a real one lol !!!! Something says that fake necklace and me are going to be friends for a long long long time.

I need to figure out who all these millionaires are that help keep these stores open. I don't think this place sells anything under $3000 k and I never see anyone in there except the sale person and the security guard. It is strange. I think I need to devote at least one day just sitting outside some of these stores to chronicle the people that actually go in and leave with bags. I probably have security chasing me away .... like in Paris. When the door man at a Chanel store in Paris wagged his finger at me saying I could not take a picture from across the street. I took 12 photos just for spite !

Anyone have any idea who is buying this stuff???????
For me 300 bucks for a concert is a bit MUCH. I personally could allocate 300 dollars to something far more valuable. The value of a thing or experience is what the individual values. Sometime an experience even short lived is far more valuable than any thing and vice versa. We're all adults and I think we can all make the best decision what is the best way to enjoy the fruits of our labour.

Sorry about the Van Cleef necklace. It sounds like you learned a valuable lesson about ensuring the credibility/legitimacy of the purchase. That might actually be more valuable to you than whatever money you lost because that stinging experience will last a life time.

As for those shops and making money - they don't have to sell 3000 coffees a day to make a profit - they just have to sell one or two items. Those goods are incredibly marked up. I imagine they have their share of online customers.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:13 PM

Default ......

Quote:
For me 300 bucks for a concert is a bit MUCH. I personally could allocate 300 dollars to something far more valuable. The value of a thing or experience is what the individual values. Sometime an experience even short lived is far more valuable than any thing and vice versa. We're all adults and I think we can all make the best decision what is the best way to enjoy the fruits of our labour.

Sorry about the Van Cleef necklace. It sounds like you learned a valuable lesson about ensuring the credibility/legitimacy of the purchase. That might actually be more valuable to you than whatever money you lost because that stinging experience will last a life time.

As for those shops and making money - they don't have to sell 3000 coffees a day to make a profit - they just have to sell one or two items. Those goods are incredibly marked up. I imagine they have their share of online customers.
Exactly lol.... that is now my bling money !!!
Never said I was financially responsible
!

I don't always spend that much on tickets but for artists I really like I will. Ex U2, Shakira, Daddy Yankee.

But now I want the cheapest in as I have found some other bad habits to burn my money.

Regarding the jewelry .... oh I am too smart to get burnt. I went through a secure 3rd party so I got my money back and the fake for free !

The jewelry is actuslly is a pyramid type situation. Buy crazy cheap . ...
Sell some of it back for a bit more until what you keep ends up being free !. Long store but I am seriously working my brain to turn silver in to gold.

Old 01-09-2018, 09:16 PM

Do you guys think more malls like Toronto is the future of Toronto?

It seems more like a museum then a mall in so many stores.

I get a bit sad when I go there..... it is the WTF ..... who gets to have all this nice stuff when I get stuck with the chump change lol.

Yorkdale is putting Yorkville to shame. Better store hours and more selection in a more customer friendly environment.

What us even more strange to me is south of Yorkdale and North of Yorkdale are pretty working classes area especially to the west side. Not sure what it must be like to be a little kid from a working class family in Toronto waking in to Yorkdale to realizing more then 1/2 the stores sell stuff your family cant afford.

My daughter knows that I buy nothing unless I get a huge discount..... but knows it still attainable.

Old 01-10-2018, 03:18 PM

Where there is a will there is a way.
So that really crazy expensive necklace and ring I want are getting closer to being mine.
Who knew some high end jewlery stores in the city have no interest for 14 months option if spending over $5000 dollars ... !!!!!!!

I might not be ready to drop 20 k on this today... but for around $1425 a month I could technically get it now! Not going to ... but there is a lot more hope to get these items now !

Value lesson again here.

Know all your options.

Also if you plan to buy resale you need to go in the stores and check out websites to study the items to know what to look for to authenticate.

Shopping habits of people in Toronto in ever evolving.

Side note if anyone is planning on getting engaged and does not have all the money to buy a really nice engagement ring. Would could get one worth around $5000 or more and pay in equal payments with no interest for up to 14 months. So around $350 a month.

Old 01-10-2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Do you guys think more malls like Toronto is the future of Toronto?

It seems more like a museum then a mall in so many stores.

I get a bit sad when I go there..... it is the WTF ..... who gets to have all this nice stuff when I get stuck with the chump change lol.

Yorkdale is putting Yorkville to shame. Better store hours and more selection in a more customer friendly environment.

What us even more strange to me is south of Yorkdale and North of Yorkdale are pretty working classes area especially to the west side. Not sure what it must be like to be a little kid from a working class family in Toronto waking in to Yorkdale to realizing more then 1/2 the stores sell stuff your family cant afford.

My daughter knows that I buy nothing unless I get a huge discount..... but knows it still attainable.
What do you mean more malls like Toronto is the future of Toronto

I honestly don't shop in Yorkville or Yorkdale. I find everytime I go to Yorkdale it is a zoo and I want to get out as soon as possible. Yorkville is honestly too rich for my blood. I'm not a big shopping person. I go somewhere to shop if I need something. I don't 'pleasure' shop very often. Sometimes I treat myself but most of the time I buy something it is a practical choice for a practical reason.

Last edited by fusion2; 01-10-2018 at 04:24 PM..

Old 01-10-2018, 05:38 PM

Default ......

Quote:
What do you mean more malls like Toronto is the future of Toronto

I honestly don't shop in Yorkville or Yorkdale. I find everytime I go to Yorkdale it is a zoo and I want to get out as soon as possible. Yorkville is honestly too rich for my blood. I'm not a big shopping person. I go somewhere to shop if I need something. I don't 'pleasure' shop very often. Sometimes I treat myself but most of the time I buy something it is a practical choice for a practical reason.
I think you that these places are too rich for your blood.
See if believing as lots of these places have average stores too.
Mmmmmm I was just in Yorkville today looking for the next item I am lusting after.

As I have no money to spend of this item. I pitched the idea to my husband.
What I want is around $20 000. What he would be willing to spend if $20 lol.

So my goal for the next few months is the market the HELL out of this idea.
I did a mini pitch like 15 minutes ago. It did not go well.
But it is free to pester him. So I have nothing to loose.

As high end designer stores dont really have discounts to pretect brand reputation so getting my husband to chip in is like my only discount option.

I think shopping in higher end stores is a must. You need to know what your are missing and then figure out how to get the next best thing for the best price.

Regarding what I said before ... I have no idea what I am was taking about.... my heads on the jewelry. So pretty ...... so expensive .

There are so many nice things .... well settle for the crappy things.

Some times the nice things in the nicers areas and stores actually cost the same or less then the bargan basement style stores. I am not even kidding. I shop everywhere ex value village to cartier.

The concept of "practical is debatable".
Is it practical to buy lower end items when would could buy something better quality that can last longer?

For example ( this is part of my pitch to my husband) buying high designer gold jewelry is not just about a temporary fashion indulgence. It is about creating a legacy. Is is something that can be passed down from one generation to the next. It is about creating wealth and prosperity for generations to come. When I die. If will go to our daughter. When she dies it will go to her child. Then to our great grand child etc. Something I wore will one day be worn by other people in our blood line that will all say wow.... my mom, grandmother, great grandmother, great great grandmother etc had wicked taste lol! We will be able to remember us for thinking about them. LOL ... that BS should get me around $100 buck lol. I might have more luck busking in Yorkville lol.

On other note we need less beggars and more buskers in Toronto.
If you want me to give you my change at least you could deplay some effort.

The spider man guy went MIA.
The Music Student signing Opera music at Younge and Bloor must of graduate or got a scholorship as he is gone too.
As much as I rarely take off my head phones ... I do appreciate all the energy that street performers add to the city.

Maybe in 2018 the city could lighten up on the street artist. I know the spider man guy got a shake down for something he did and I think lost his permit. He was fun... but again now MIA.

Last edited by klmrocks; 01-10-2018 at 05:49 PM..

Old 01-10-2018, 09:26 PM

Thing is KLM I don't need the next best thing and I seldom lust for 'things'
I lust for experiences.

When I say practical shopping I don't mean poor quality either. In some cases it Is a much better value to buy a quality piece or item because it simply does the job better, looks better and last longer.

As for jewelry - never been a big fan. I have an engagement ring, wedding ring and some other stuff I got as gifts but we don't have kids and i'm not going to hand down that to offspring though I certainly am not judging anyone who does that. It just isn't me.

Old 01-11-2018, 01:05 PM

Default .....

Quote:
Thing is KLM I don't need the next best thing and I seldom lust for 'things'
I lust for experiences.

When I say practical shopping I don't mean poor quality either. In some cases it Is a much better value to buy a quality piece or item because it simply does the job better, looks better and last longer.

As for jewelry - never been a big fan. I have an engagement ring, wedding ring and some other stuff I got as gifts but we don't have kids and i'm not going to hand down that to offspring though I certainly am not judging anyone who does that. It just isn't me.

May I remind .... men tend to have a lot less options to waste money on in terms of fashion items.
I am not even kidding.

Men's fragrances and clothing are often cheaper.
Men tend to be able to get away with a minimum effort look.

If the average women compared the amount and total costs of items she puts on each day to a man and the cost for the women would be a lot higher.

Also men can get away with more simplicity in their wardrobe.

P.S. Plus most of the at was a prep for justifying a non-essential purchases to my husband. In reality I actually know I don't need all this stuff... but similar to you I like experiences but my spin is I like the experience of owning nice things. I will eventually try to re-sell these items to get some if not hopefully most of what I put out for the items back.

Either way you cut it ... it all does boil down to experiences. All experiences have value and can be meaningful.

In 2016 I was shoe crazy....
In 2017 I was jewellery and bag crazy ....
In 2018 ... time will tell......

Just as someone learns from travelling.
You can learn from shopping.

Old 01-11-2018, 07:36 PM

Quote:

Just as someone learns from travelling.
You can learn from shopping.
I'm not judging anyone who shops or enjoys shopping -its just not really my 'thing' regardless of male or female some people love buying things. My Dad is a total shopaholic. Its like a drug for him. My parents place is littered with stuff all over.. My mom is more similar to me actually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto