Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 12:19 AM

1,884 posts, read 3,445,857 times

Advertisements

Hi there. Just checked the forums and found there's a separate Toledo one, which helps 'cause we're looking at NW Ohio and over the line into Ft. Wayne.

We have friends around Bryan and over towards Ft. Wayne. The general area seems very affordable for most folks. I have two interviews up that way, soon, one in Ft. Wayne, the other outside Hicksville, OH.

I know NW Ohio has seen better days, in fact I think it's Williams County where a few friends live and they report they've had double digit unemployment for several years, now. Nice area though and we'd consider living there. Our friends in Ft. Wayne like it, overall. If we do move we're going in with our eyes open, and ready to face reality. I'm originally from working class Rochester, NY, so I know what rolling with the punches, means. The folks I've met from OH (while in the military, etc.) are generally great people, which is one criteria I use when considering relocation. We moved to SC two years ago and are considering moving again due to the local economy and its recent falling of a cliff. It's getting worse down here, and the crime has gone way up, while the unemployment marches closer to 13%.

I'm an engineer with a background in precision machining, and my wife is an accountant. Our oldest child will start 2nd grade, this year, and the youngest starts kindergarten. We're to the point where we're considering holding them back a month or so while we look for jobs outside this state.

We know very little about Toledo. We're seeking a quiet life, maybe out from the city a stretch, yet still somewhat close to some basic amenities and whatnot. Also need advice on the schools.

-

Last edited by HowardRoarke; 07-14-2009 at 12:20 AM.. Reason: title, LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 07:20 AM

3,968 posts, read 8,498,863 times
While the economy is down considerably, there are a few jobs to be had. There was just an ad in the Bryan paper this week of a local firm looking for a CNC programmer, as well as the local candy maker looking for packagers. We have lived in Montpelier for over 30 years now and even though it has a reputation from people who never lived here as a rough town, living here seems to show otherwise. The teachers here for the most part truly care for their students. We still have teachers asking about our kids, and they have been out of school here for 12 years now. Our new school building opened a couple of years ago, (although that is common for Williams county). Our neighborhood street has 9 houses on it and 2 are occupied by teachers (the rest are wonderful residents, mostly retired). One of the families has 2 little boys, about the same age as your kids.

Montpelier is right off the Ohio Turnpike about half way between Toledo and Ft. Wayne. We can get to either one in about an hour, so we can get out if we like. We know a number of residents who have worked in Ft. Wayne for years. It's close enough that when we decided to do a little spur of the moment shopping last week we ended up in Toledo, and we were at a concert in Ft. Wayne the week before.

We are currently looking to move south. The only reason, however, is because my dear wife and I are both retired and our boys live near Cincinnati. Our parents are all gone now so we decided to move closer to our kids. All that we need to do is get our house sold.

While I can't give you a lot of specific details of Toledo itself, I would be glad to share as much as I can about areas a little farther west. Feel free to DM me if you like. Good luck in your quest.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:55 PM

3 posts, read 9,838 times
Great thing about NW Ohio is that you can pick from several towns, depending on what you enjoy. I am a "Country Boy" and live out in the wide open country, but near city shopping. That works for me. There are several small towns around that have great charm. Pettisville, Wauseon, and Bryan are all great towns. I am partial to Wauseon myself. It is a growing town but still has small town feel, with great schools, and parks. Drive by there sometime and see the town "in action".

Old 07-18-2009, 07:55 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,629,105 times
Coming from South Carolina (which has a higher unemployment rate than Ohio) you will not be missing much. We actually have the change of seasons here, I just hope you don't mind snow, and somtimes a lot of it.

Toledo honestly is a great city. It has a world class art museum and zoo, it has an attractive downtown that is experiencing new growth, and many up and coming exciting projects are happening in Toledo, like the Marina District. There is a lot of good shopping in Toledo as well.

NW Ohio has a lot of small attractive towns. In fact, Neil Armstrong is from Wapakoneta (spelling). You are also not far from Cedar Point, and the many state parks along Lake Erie. You can also take the ferry up to the Kelly Islands. Lots of great sunsets up that way.

Either way, good luck on your search. There are a lot of helpful people in this forum.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:30 PM

646 posts, read 2,049,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavercreek33 View Post
You can also take the ferry up to the Kelly Islands.
It's Kelleys Island...there is only one of them.

There are other islands nearby...but they are named other things and not even in the same county...if even the same country.

Old 07-25-2009, 05:49 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,445,857 times
Thanks for the tips. Still awaiting word on two jobs, up that way, so we'll see.

I really like the attitude and whatnot of folks in the Midwest. Outside of a few places it doesn't appear to be a rat race one might find in other parts of the country (even around the cities, like Toledo). Buffalo, NY, and other Midwestern cities (yes, Buffalo is on the edge of the Midwest, contrary to what some might think) seem pretty laid back, overall.

Old 07-26-2009, 03:27 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,762,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoya View Post
It's Kelleys Island...there is only one of them.

There are other islands nearby...but they are named other things and not even in the same county...if even the same country.
THere's also South Bass Island (Put-In-Bay) and Middle Bass Island - both very close to Kelley's Island. You can also visit Pelee Island which is in Canadian waters, but not far from the other 3 vacation islands.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:34 PM

646 posts, read 2,049,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBeaches View Post
THere's also South Bass Island (Put-In-Bay) and Middle Bass Island - both very close to Kelley's Island. You can also visit Pelee Island which is in Canadian waters, but not far from the other 3 vacation islands.
Yes, I am aware of that.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:44 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,762,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoya View Post
Yes, I am aware of that.
That's great!

Old 07-27-2009, 03:10 AM

78 posts, read 353,597 times
Engineering is a great field to be in....in the right place. I have been in a job search for some time now, and have noticed engineering positions are becoming much more available, in many areas, not here.

In my personal opinion, being of an engineering background, there are much better areas than Toledo to find a job. Its cheap to live here, but IMO, this area is a drag. There are so many better places.

Most engineering jobs here are in the automotive industry, or something related, which is in the toilet as many of you may know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo