Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2017, 08:22 AM

6 posts, read 21,527 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone I live in adrain mi and live so close to the border to Teledo oh, I like it because of the cheap cost of living and lots of things to do, but I was wondering is Teledo really as bad as people make it out to be, is the crime really bad, is the job market not any good, I would just like your opinion of what it's like to live there, and if it's worth it or not to live there, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2017, 11:58 AM

3,829 posts, read 6,742,468 times
You may want to post in the Ohio forum instead of the Michigan one. Michiganders aren't usually able to discuss Ohio objectively. Plus, they actually live there.

Old 07-29-2017, 12:53 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,897,570 times
Agree with the above poster. Toledo has a subforum in the Ohio forum and there are a few posters there who know all about every part of the city. They would be able to help u out alot more.

Old 07-29-2017, 01:05 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,324,280 times
OP, I live about twenty miles from the Ohio border. Toledo is not as bad as they say, but it has some very bad areas, along with very good areas, just like any city. The job market is okay, depending on what kind of work you do. The downtown is undergoing a bit of a renaissance right now because a huge regional healthcare company is building a new headquarters along the river. Nothing on the scale of Detroit's renaissance but it's definitely improving things nicely. As the others suggested, try the Toledo forum.

BTW, you live in Adrian which is like half an hour from Toledo. Most people in Adrian use Toledo as their go to city for shopping, dining, and events. You haven't been there? Can you take a few hours to go down and check it out? As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Old 07-30-2017, 06:48 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,857,700 times
As mentioned Toledo IMO gets a bad rap that is NOT deserving. Grant it I only lived there for four years while I attended UT but I would gladly go back if the teaching job market allowed for it. Only crime I experienced was having my bike stolen on campus and that was my fault for leaving it unchained over night haha.

Old 08-03-2017, 06:51 AM

53 posts, read 59,993 times
What type of healthcare is opening in Toledo? Is this a hospital? I apologize for not being up-to-date on Toledo current events.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:23 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,324,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejhere View Post
What type of healthcare is opening in Toledo? Is this a hospital? I apologize for not being up-to-date on Toledo current events.
Promedica, a huge healthcare company that owns many of the hospitals in the region and multiple outpatient centers, physicians offices and long term care facilities, is moving its headquarters to downtown Toledo in a new complex that was just built on the riverfront on Summit St. They are actually starting to move everything and everyone in this week. I believe the number I read is 1,800 employees moving to the headquarters from scattered offices around the Toledo metro area. It is really transforming downtown Toledo. The Renaissance, Toledo's first four star hotel maybe ever also just opened a few days ago.

These are exciting times to be working/living/playing in downtown Toledo!

Old 08-07-2017, 03:32 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,846,198 times
I am originally from Toledo and moved back about 3 years ago. I love being back home. People for he most part in both SE MI and NW OH are nice, down to earth folks IMO.

On jobs, I think it depends on what field you work in. But honestly, I think most people who can't find jobs here just aren't looking. There are lots of places hiring. Those who say they can't find jobs that make good money usually don't have any skills or education that would warrant paying them more. I now make about $30k more than I made down south here in Toledo and I live very comfortably.

On crime, I actually live in what is considered a "high crime" neighborhood and I've never been a victim of crime at all. Crime is in the city, but if you are smart and aware of your surroundings and know your neighbors, you shouldn't have any issues in most places in most cities IMO. Toledo does have high theft rates but I've never had issues with that either.

There are safer parts of the city though and due to the low costs of housing, most people could easily afford to live in one of the safer neighborhoods. We own some rental properties and when I moved back here, I moved into one, which is in a higher crime neighborhood. I liked the neighbors so much I decided to stay in the house permanently since it is paid for (we don't pay any rent/mortgage) and it is close to downtown so easy to get around to most places in the NW OH and SE MI area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
View detailed profiles of: