Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2010, 10:33 AM

22 posts, read 59,165 times

Advertisements

We have been looking and are close to deciding on moving to Athens, Tx.

I am wondering about renting. I have read some reviews about apartments in Athens and alot of them were not very positive.

I know every city has bad areas. Where would that be in Athens?
Would we have to go through a real estate agent to rent a house?
I looked at the Athens Review paper online, not too much there.
I was thinking about getting a subscription for a month or two just to see the local happenings.

Is Athens a place where it floods alot?
I don't know if it is considered to be in Tornado Alley , but that doesn't worry me too much. I have seen plenty od tornadic activity living in Oklahoma. I know I can just duck and cover and ride it out if necessary. If something is supposed to happen it will happen.

I would just like to find out as much as I can about the Athens area. I have searched and plan on searching more online.

Whatever you locals have to offer would be great to hear.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 03:35 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,240,110 times
I don't think you'll find anythng in the paper you won't find online. There are several homes for rent.....

Classifieds » Athens Review, Athens, Texas

Old 04-04-2010, 04:55 PM

Thanks for the link GayleTx. I was just looking at the paper online before I checked back here.
My eyes are starting to get blurred from reading so much online. =)

Old 04-06-2010, 08:28 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,619,427 times
Find some local realtors to deal with - there are several on line. Just to mention a few: Lynda Echols, Century 21/Tumlinson, Excite Realty, etc..

Athens is a beautiful area, and most people are friendly. However, the town is well known for corrupt politicians, and meth labs in the country. In particular, stay away with any dealings whatsoever with the local water authority. Time and again they've proven themselves to be a bunch of good old boys who are there for the power it gives them to make money for themselves and their friends.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:10 AM

It's unforunate that we have to think about Meth Labs in an area, but it seems like most cities have their spot for them. I guess back in the day it was people selling marijuana. Now it's crack and meth.

As the times gets closer and we decide on an area for sure I will really try to ask about specific areas of the town I am wondering about.

I apprecaite the names of the RE people. That will be helpful.

Thank you for the information ETex2. I will definitely keep it all in mind.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:00 AM

12 posts, read 40,223 times
I've lived in Athens, as well as a few other towns in Texas. Athens is a great little town. Regarding the meth labs....most of that kind of drug problem is out toward Cedar Creek lake area and the towns that go along with it. I really doubt you are gonna be affected by it if you just look for a decent area to live. We have 3 kids, went to the public schools, and didn't see any problems of the kind.

People are very friendly there. It is a retirement town. There is good and bad to that. A good majority of older people want to keep it quiet, stall any growth, and don't want to put money into the schools. And a growing group are doing all they can to stimulate growth and make the schools nicer. I can see both sides of it. I think the parents will eventually win out.

Not many places to eat. Some local restaurants, Applebee's, Jalapeno Tree, Dominos, San Luis (excellent Mexican), McAlister's....not much more. There is a Walmart, Brookshire's,...No public outdoor pool. The Cain Center has an indoor one. The country club is also an option.

No Lowe's or Home Depot...no Chili's....gotta go to Tyler for most things.

All in all, it is a very nice town. Nice medical center. Schools are average...but I think an education is what you make of it. There are some bad crowds (what school doesn't have them). Athens is a good choice. We liked it there.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:06 AM

12 posts, read 40,223 times
Almost forgot....regarding rentals....anything southeast of the square (east of 19 and south of 31) is a sure bet. Usually the nicer rentals are near the schools, especially the elementary schools. You can find some nice houses to rent in those vicinities. Stay away from northwest of the square. And houses aren't selling very fast in Athens...you might want to inquire about renting something that has been on the market for a while. I know of several people who did this. They don't advertise, but might consider it.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:11 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,619,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cja388 View Post
I've lived in Athens, as well as a few other towns in Texas. Athens is a great little town. Regarding the meth labs....most of that kind of drug problem is out toward Cedar Creek lake area and the towns that go along with it. I really doubt you are gonna be affected by it if you just look for a decent area to live. We have 3 kids, went to the public schools, and didn't see any problems of the kind.

People are very friendly there. It is a retirement town. There is good and bad to that. A good majority of older people want to keep it quiet, stall any growth, and don't want to put money into the schools. And a growing group are doing all they can to stimulate growth and make the schools nicer. I can see both sides of it. I think the parents will eventually win out.

Not many places to eat. Some local restaurants, Applebee's, Jalapeno Tree, Dominos, San Luis (excellent Mexican), McAlister's....not much more. There is a Walmart, Brookshire's,...No public outdoor pool. The Cain Center has an indoor one. The country club is also an option.

No Lowe's or Home Depot...no Chili's....gotta go to Tyler for most things.

All in all, it is a very nice town. Nice medical center. Schools are average...but I think an education is what you make of it. There are some bad crowds (what school doesn't have them). Athens is a good choice. We liked it there.
You left out some of the best places to eat: the Marina Restaurant on the lake (best catfish in the state IMHO), Old West Steak House, Ochoa's. I owned rural property there just east of town for 10 years and we were going to retire there. The corrupt politicians that run the local water authority, and the meth cookers next door that kept robbing us blind, drove us to sell the place. I found meth cooking supplies on our land out in the woods, and the local authorities did nothing about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas