Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 03:06 PM

117 posts, read 539,116 times

Advertisements

Hello. I'm totally new to this forum and am pretty amateur on computers in general.
However, after living most of my 39 years in northwest Indiana, I'm done.
I love this area-it's home-but my family and I (husband, 2 teenage girls, son and toddler girl) are ready for a new chapter in our lives and the timing is just right to finally stop grumbling and get outta this snow. We did the tests that factor climate, crime, city size, religion, geography and so on to help you find your "match"(sounds like a date) Lo and hehold, this area in Texas kept popping up which confused me because I thought Texas was the old west and tumbleweeds... After doing a little bit of research-wow-there's some green in Texas. I'm not intending to sound disrespectful, just surprised. So, it looks like maybe somewhere in the Hill Country would do for us.
I'm hoping for some advice from those of you who are familiar with the area.
My husband and I design and build high-end custom cabinetry. We live in a small town but most of our clients have homes on the lake in Chicago and Michigan. We just sold our company, our house is on the market, and we're ready to start over.
So far, I'm thinking somewhere between Austin and San Antonio. We love living in the country. We'd like some land again, but not to be so far out we have to drive an hour to get to Starbuck's or Barnes and Noble. Our son is all about football-lives for his dream of being the next Walter Payton though he's just 8-and my husband loves coaching.
We're planning a "scouting" trip in a few weeks to take a look. We could rent for a year or buy if we find the right place. We could spend about $400k for land and house. We would like something with trees to climb, pasture, sky and sun. A pool wouldn't hurt. At least 5 or more acres and some privacy but not isolation as in miles from intelligent life. Charming is great but not flooded with tourists. Is this possible? Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2007, 03:13 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,414,307 times
aw hayull yeah we got lots of green in Texas. Canyon Lake or Blanco would suit you PERFECTLY.

Old 02-18-2007, 03:32 PM

Thanks for responding. I've added those 2 to my list.
I noticed someone on another thread complaining about it being brown and dormant in the winter. Does it do that? I guess I was thinking if the winter is so mild that it might not. It's something that always depresses me up here in the north. Does it stay green in the eastern piney area?
And are the mosquitos really awful in the hill country?

I do, of course realize that no place is perfect short of heaven.
Anybody have any opinions?

Old 02-18-2007, 04:15 PM

90 posts, read 472,949 times
I was thinking New Braunfels til you said no to the tourists. Havenwood at Hunters Crossing, the new master-planned community located in New Braunfels. Schlitterbaun Water park is in New Braunfels and it is "touristy". Someone already said Canyon Lake, which is near by. Not all that many mosquitos in and around Austin. Austin houses the largest urban bat colony in the US. Their nightly feedings clean up most bugs. The Texas "brown and dormant" is not the same as what you would be used to. It's brown and dormant to us. As for east Texas, the trees are taller and so are the bugs. Anyway Havenwood is north of New Braunfels, give it a look even if it is just online. www.havenwoodtexas.com. There is also www.hill-country-visitor.com, just select a city.

Old 02-18-2007, 06:50 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,701,039 times
First, the brown, is mostly the wild grass and some trees. Many of the trees are green (live oak and cedar).

Second, you might try north of San Antonio along Highway 281N. Spring Branch and Blanco are nice. You might also look closer to San Antonio in Bulverde. There are lot's of custom home builders here, so your husband could start up another custom cabinet business if he wanted to.

Old 02-18-2007, 09:24 PM

Thanks.
We are planning on starting up again doing cabinets and custom furniture.

We will be down the 1st weekend in March to look at some properties and get a feel for the area.

I've seen a few properties that looked nice around Dale. Is that area ok, too?
If you're east of 35 are you still in Hill Country?

Old 02-18-2007, 09:39 PM

Except for a few slivers, the Texas Hill Country is pretty much West of I-35.
Dale is pretty rural, though land would be cheaper there. Here is a link to a map of the Texas Hill Country (scroll down to my post).

https://www.city-data.com/forum/texas...try#post362592

Old 02-18-2007, 09:53 PM

90 posts, read 472,949 times
281 goes thru the hill country, 35 goes around. East of 35 is not considered part of it.

Old 02-19-2007, 10:42 AM

I'm narrowing it to somewhere between 281 and I-35, between Austin and San Antonio.
New question to help me...
Can anyone recommend a private Christian school in the area that is established and has a good reputation and an established sports program?

Old 02-19-2007, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greystonefarm View Post
I'm narrowing it to somewhere between 281 and I-35, between Austin and San Antonio.
New question to help me...
Can anyone recommend a private Christian school in the area that is established and has a good reputation and an established sports program?
There is the Hill Country Christian School in San Marcos. Here is their web site:

http://www.hillcountryschool.net/ind...tpage&Itemid=1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas