Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2023, 10:32 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,352,455 times

Advertisements

Lot of goal post-moving going on here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2023, 12:08 PM

3,429 posts, read 1,567,869 times
Out of the fryer and into the oven. Ugh! I'd be happy if we were looking to sell.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/roun...on-today-show/

Old 07-14-2023, 03:30 AM

1,515 posts, read 1,527,568 times
They say Dems "tax and Spend" and to some extent they do, but the GOP has controlled all three branches of Texas Gov since the 1990's and we are #3 in highest property tax. Washington State also no income tax looks as bad as Texas but there are so many exemptions that on my 503 acre tree farm in Skamakawa on the Colombia River worth millions, my tax is $1.33 per acre.

Old 07-14-2023, 11:04 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,102,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
They say Dems "tax and Spend" and to some extent they do, but the GOP has controlled all three branches of Texas Gov since the 1990's and we are #3 in highest property tax. Washington State also no income tax looks as bad as Texas but there are so many exemptions that on my 503 acre tree farm in Skamakawa on the Colombia River worth millions, my tax is $1.33 per acre.

As previously mentioned... you need to play the property tax games each state defines. For the forested 'Evergreen State' it will be trees, Texas is Ag / Wildlife. (Each really should be focused on LT conservation measures, not short term perks)

My WA property taxes (National Scenic Area of Columbia River Gorge) are 10x my TX equivalent property taxes, so it 'depends'.

My valuations in TX have gone up about 3x, where my valuations in WA are over 10x over aquisition costs.
I can fight my TX valuations with some success, but I cannot fight my WA valuations (except for commercial props). Valuations only COST you (taxes, insurance, replacement). If you have no intent or need or desire to sell, you are stuck with higher costs obligations (unless in CA under Prop 13), or other states with caps and exemptions for LT residents.

Old 07-15-2023, 05:43 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,304,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
As previously mentioned... you need to play the property tax games each state defines.
Guess who doesn’t have time to “play the game”
Poor people that live paycheck to paycheck

Old 07-16-2023, 01:24 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,102,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Guess who doesn’t have time to “play the game”
Poor people that live paycheck to paycheck
paycheck?

I haven't had a paycheck for pver 19 yrs, and have 30 more yrs of retirement ahead of me.

Many times seniors are displaced from their lifelong housing due to increased property taxes. They've spent a lifetime building the communities we can all enjoy, raise our families, and feel safe in. Yet we kick the seniors to the streets in the name of higher property valuations and taxes. Texas does offer a homestead exemption (which some states do not). Won't help the millions of seniors who rent. (of which I will be one,) even tho I've owned 40+ properties, I will be renting my later homes as a senior. Done with the ownership thing, it's an expensive proposition (and getting much more expensive).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas