Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2023, 09:11 PM

8,331 posts, read 5,488,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecitytx View Post
Dallas is attracting more black FAMILIES.

It makes sense, as Houston is more a single person's city.
That may be true from black people. I can't comment on it because I'm not black.

I don't know that I would say that, overall, I view Houston as more singles oriented than Dallas as a city. I can see the argument that as a metro area DFW is more oriented than Greater Houston because DFW is more suburban oriented.

But I personally found that people partied as hard if not harder in Dallas in the circles I ran in. I seemed to see just as many singles there. Gay nightlife is a lot bigger in Dallas I do remember.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2023, 08:04 AM

869 posts, read 319,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
That may be true from black people. I can't comment on it because I'm not black.

I don't know that I would say that, overall, I view Houston as more singles oriented than Dallas as a city. I can see the argument that as a metro area DFW is more oriented than Greater Houston because DFW is more suburban oriented.

But I personally found that people partied as hard if not harder in Dallas in the circles I ran in. I seemed to see just as many singles there. Gay nightlife is a lot bigger in Dallas I do remember.
On that last point, you're definitely correct.

Also, I never saw Dallas as any more family-oriented than Houston either...that's just what a lot of people SAY. I'm not sure how...is it the Six Flags that makes the difference or something? That's just weird.

Because of Houston's different style of nightlife (especially those establishments geared towards blacks), I view it as the more single-oriented between the two cities. Dallas has a lot of upscale night spots, but not very many cater SPECIFICALLY to blacks...and that's where Houston shines and where most of my experience comes from.

I remember I was in Addison a couple of years ago for a friend's birthday party. After having a general get-together at Sidecar Social, she wanted to go to a nightspot afterward. She's a big fan of hookah, so that was a must. The one spot we knew about from a previous outing had shut down (think it was called Union Square or something)...and we found it absolutely ridiculous that there was not one other spot available that served both liquor AND hookah...it was either one or the other. We ended up just going to a random bar and taking it for what it was.

That would have NEVER been an issue in Houston, lol.

Old 03-22-2023, 10:15 AM

2,855 posts, read 2,168,427 times
Quote:

Below is data from a Linkedin report which focuses solely on professional adults and where they moved. There are not numbers associated with it, but anyway here is the list of top 10 in-migration markets for DFW, Houston, and Austin. Time frame is 2012-2022:

Dallas/Fort Worth
1) Chicago
2) Washington DC
3) Oklahoma City
4) College Station/Bryan
5) Lubbock
6) Minneapolis/St. Paul
7) Kansas City
8) Philadelphia
9) Waco
10) Houston

Austin
1) San Francisco Bay Area
2) Los Angeles
3) New York City
4) Washington DC
5) Dallas/Fort Worth
6) Portland, OR
7) Houston
8) College Station/Bryan
9) Chicago
10) Boston

Houston
1) Washington DC
2) New Orleans
3) Chicago
4) Miami/Fort Lauderdale
5) New York City
6) Lafayette
7) Baton Rouge
8) Atlanta
9) Philadelphia
10) Oklahoma City
Moving from or moving to?

Old 03-22-2023, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Moving from or moving to?
Those are moving to.

Moving from is below:

Austin
1) Denver
2) Ashville
3) Colorado Springs
4) Albuquerque
5) Wilmington, NC
6) Portland, ME
7) Bend, OR
8) Chattanooga, TN
9) Roanoke, VA
10) Johnston City, TN

Dallas/Fort Worth
1) Los Angeles
2) San Francisco
3) Seattle
4) New York City
5) Austin
6) Denver
7) Boston
8) Tampa
9) Miami
10) Boise

Houston
1) Austin
2) San Francisco
3) Dallas/Fort Worth
4) Seattle
5) Denver
6) San Antonio
7) Knoxville
8) Nashville
9) Tampa
10) Omaha

Old 03-22-2023, 02:16 PM

Wonder why so many are moving to DC.

Old 03-22-2023, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Wonder why so many are moving to DC.
DC is on the moving from DC to Texas list. On the moving away from Texas list, Denver was the only one on all three. My apologies for the ambiguity. I think there is a trend on each though.

For Austin, it seems many think its getting too big and are moving away. The only place bigger than Austin of the cities its losing people to is Denver.

For Houston, most people seem to be moving to either smaller and less chaotic places as well as more white ones. SF is the only exception.

For DFW, it just seems to be shuffling between other corporate cities with Boise and Tampa being the exceptions.

Old 03-22-2023, 04:14 PM

Quote:
DC is on the moving from DC to Texas list. On the moving away from Texas list, Denver was the only one on all three. My apologies for the ambiguity. I think there is a trend on each though.

For Austin, it seems many think its getting too big and are moving away. The only place bigger than Austin of the cities its losing people to is Denver.

For Houston, most people seem to be moving to either smaller and less chaotic places as well as more white ones. SF is the only exception.

For DFW, it just seems to be shuffling between other corporate cities with Boise and Tampa being the exceptions.
So if I'm reading this right there aren't many that are coming from expensive CA cities. On the contrary quite a few are leaving from Houston/Dallas to the Bay Area which seemed unthinkable from a COL perspective.

Old 03-22-2023, 05:11 PM

Quote:
So if I'm reading this right there aren't many that are coming from expensive CA cities. On the contrary quite a few are leaving from Houston/Dallas to the Bay Area which seemed unthinkable from a COL perspective.
Remember this is a Linkedin survey. Linkedin skews heavily towards technology and high paying jobs. This isnt a "this many people moved from here to there", its a "this many people of this specific demographic" moved from here to there.

Old 03-22-2023, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Remember this is a Linkedin survey. Linkedin skews heavily towards technology and high paying jobs. This isnt a "this many people moved from here to there", its a "this many people of this specific demographic" moved from here to there.
True, but the conventional wisdom was that folks with high paying tech jobs in CA were relocating to TX en- mass once covid made remote work the norm.

Old 03-22-2023, 06:47 PM

9,866 posts, read 6,579,684 times
Quote:
True, but the conventional wisdom was that folks with high paying tech jobs in CA were relocating to TX en- mass once covid made remote work the norm.
That’s only 1-2 years out of this period, so this isn’t a good representation of that.

That said, considering trends change, it will be interesting to see how this changes in 10 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas