Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2022, 07:07 PM

22 posts, read 24,143 times

Advertisements

Beaumont/Port Arthur/Orange has very reasonable housing. But it's.....Beaumont/Port Arthur/Orange.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2022, 07:31 PM

713 posts, read 395,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
What are some of the highest and lowest cost of living places in Texas?

Obviously for highest you have Austin. People on this site have been talking about Dallas going up too. Does this include the Fort Worth portion of the Metroplex? Houston is lower than Dallas for sure, and then San Antonio is the lowest of the big 4 metros. How does Fredericksburg compare to the big cities? Is it in Houston territory? What are some other small towns that are high now? Marfa? I know the hill country towns tend to be pretty expensive, and towns outside of the big cities.

For cheapest it has to be some places in west or south Texas. Laredo and the RGV have been going up a bit but still might be the cheapest cities in Texas. I know for west Texas Midland is high. How does it compare to the big cities? If somebody is working in Midland and making the same money they were making in Houston will they save more money you think?
During the boom Midland can be as expensive as some big cities in Texas.I think sometimes its the cost of living may be close to Austins cost of living..I heard that oil companies tend to pay their Midland employees more than the Houston ones due to cost of living and it being such a lousy place to live so a Midland oilfield worker may make less than the Houston one if they are paid the same due to cost of living.

Old 11-20-2022, 11:05 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,861,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
What about Mesquite and Forney?
The decent areas of Mesquite (Creek Crossing) aren’t getting any cheaper, but the bad parts are still fairly inexpensive due to them not aging well, and having higher crime. MISD schools aren’t as good as they were back in the 1980s when they were among the best in DFW.

Forney has some inexpensive homes, but they are technically out of the city limits (Travis Ranch), or way south of I20 (Heartland). The developments in town, such as Devonshire, are priced a lot higher. Forney ISD currently has the best schools in Kaufman County and they just passed a HUGE bond to keep up with the very high growth.

In between Mesquite and Forney is Sunnyvale, home of the $1M house on 1 acre with exemplary schools.

Old 11-20-2022, 07:45 PM

5,612 posts, read 4,935,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
The decent areas of Mesquite (Creek Crossing) aren’t getting any cheaper, but the bad parts are still fairly inexpensive due to them not aging well, and having higher crime. MISD schools aren’t as good as they were back in the 1980s when they were among the best in DFW.

Forney has some inexpensive homes, but they are technically out of the city limits (Travis Ranch), or way south of I20 (Heartland). The developments in town, such as Devonshire, are priced a lot higher. Forney ISD currently has the best schools in Kaufman County and they just passed a HUGE bond to keep up with the very high growth.

In between Mesquite and Forney is Sunnyvale, home of the $1M house on 1 acre with exemplary schools.
Yeah, I knew that Sunnyvale was a little island of affluence and high home values.

Old 11-20-2022, 08:57 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,002,363 times
I'm messing around with this COL calculator and according to the salary comparison the cost of living in Houston doesn't seem to be all that much higher than San Antonio.

edit: it also says Dallas is more expensive than Austin so maybe not all that reliable...

Old 11-21-2022, 07:38 AM

1,108 posts, read 528,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
What are some of the highest and lowest cost of living places in Texas?

Obviously for highest you have Austin. People on this site have been talking about Dallas going up too. Does this include the Fort Worth portion of the Metroplex? Houston is lower than Dallas for sure, and then San Antonio is the lowest of the big 4 metros. How does Fredericksburg compare to the big cities? Is it in Houston territory? What are some other small towns that are high now? Marfa? I know the hill country towns tend to be pretty expensive, and towns outside of the big cities.

For cheapest it has to be some places in west or south Texas. Laredo and the RGV have been going up a bit but still might be the cheapest cities in Texas. I know for west Texas Midland is high. How does it compare to the big cities? If somebody is working in Midland and making the same money they were making in Houston will they save more money you think?
After 4 years living here in Central Texas from So Calif we can state that we are saving 30% in actual costs living in Texas. That does nit include the saving in buying a home since we owned ours outright in Calif and paid cash when we moved here.

Old 11-21-2022, 08:20 AM

3,265 posts, read 5,630,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifervan View Post
Beaumont/Port Arthur/Orange has very reasonable housing. But it's.....Beaumont/Port Arthur/Orange.
People afraid of crime and have left and gutted all 3 cities. Port Arthur first (80's-90's), then Orange (90's) and now an on-going thing in Beaumont which is becoming a crime cesspool.

When I go to Beaumont I have my head on a swivel and I'm armed well. All the bedroom communities around Beaumont are bursting at the seams with higher housing costs. Even up here where I live 50 miles north land prices have tripled and quadrupled in 25 years and new construction homes are popping up everywhere and I'm pretty far out in the woods.

Old 11-21-2022, 09:11 AM

778 posts, read 504,462 times
I have found that home insurance is sky-high due to the whole state being vulnerable to the Gulf and it's problems. I live not far from Ft. Worth and home insurance rates are three times what I paid in CA, which has earthquakes!

Old 11-21-2022, 10:35 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,861,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW R1100 View Post
I have found that home insurance is sky-high due to the whole state being vulnerable to the Gulf and it's problems. I live not far from Ft. Worth and home insurance rates are three times what I paid in CA, which has earthquakes!
No, homeowner's insurance rates are not high due to hurricanes since they really do not affect anything except the actual gulf coast areas. It is high due to wind and hail damage. A Texas hailstorm will ruin your roof and total your cars in a matter of minutes, and they usually occur with very little warning.

Old 11-21-2022, 10:50 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,274,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW R1100 View Post
It's the tornadoes, high winds, flooding and hail, I believe, that are the culprits. Most of Texas isn't bothered by hurricanes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas