Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2021, 02:41 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody, the eatery i am talking about was a steak restaurant in San Angelo called Zentner's Daughter.I ate there a couple times.The first was during a spring break visit to San Angelo with my family.I remember liking it.The last time was several years later when I was in San Angelo with my dad and we decided to eat there that night and maybe have a beer.

I think i possibly had shrimp both times.However, I saw on the San Angelo news that Zentner's Daughter closed in 2019.I was sad to hear about the closure.So do any of you remember the restaurant if you used to live in San Angelo or spent anytime there???Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2021, 04:30 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Yes, I remember it well from my ASU days. My dad always wanted to go there for a steak when he visited. On Sunday nights, when the cafeteria was closed, Zentners Daughter did an ASU student special of a really good hamburger.

Old 04-09-2021, 05:52 AM

5,475 posts, read 12,240,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Hi everybody, the eatery i am talking about was a steak restaurant in San Angelo called Zentner's Daughter.I ate there a couple times.The first was during a spring break visit to San Angelo with my family.I remember liking it.The last time was several years later when I was in San Angelo with my dad and we decided to eat there that night and maybe have a beer.

I think i possibly had shrimp both times.However, I saw on the San Angelo news that Zentner's Daughter closed in 2019.I was sad to hear about the closure.So do any of you remember the restaurant if you used to live in San Angelo or spent anytime there???Thanks in advance.
Yes, I remember it. Honestly, the place had gone downhill in recent years. I was there for an office luncheon, and the place was just sad. It smelled musty and of old people, the service was achingly slow, and the food was mediocre at best. I wasn't surprised it closed. I think those last few years they were pulling on business out of those who had sentimental reasons or those who went out of habit, not necessarily because the place had good food.

Old 04-12-2021, 05:50 AM

364 posts, read 1,420,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Yes, I remember it well from my ASU days. My dad always wanted to go there for a steak when he visited. On Sunday nights, when the cafeteria was closed, Zentners Daughter did an ASU student special of a really good hamburger.
I'm an ASU alum and have the exact same memories. I think it was like $4 or $5 (could have been $2; it's been a while) for a burger, fries and a drink with your ASU id. This was back in 1990-94. Good times!

Old 04-12-2021, 09:40 AM

5,264 posts, read 6,399,224 times
I went there a few times too.

Old 04-12-2021, 10:02 AM

19,778 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post

Betty Zentner was married to one of my great-uncles. He was in his 81 or 82 or so and Betty probably her early 70s when they closed. Both Bernay and Betty are lifelong inveterate workaholics who likely both would have died in the kitchen had they kept going.

I know for a fact they had several offers to sell the business instead of closing, my brother and I sent in a bid, but Betty in particular didn't want to take the chance that someone would buy the place and screw it up and she'd feel obligated to come back. That and several of the staff had been there for decades and they were tired too.

FWIIW Betty's father John opened The Lowake Inn (low-A-key and not to be confused with the Lowake Steakhouse) in maybe 1945 or so for years John would raise, slaughter/butcher cattle (like he'd do it by hand on his ranch) and then serve that meat at Lowake. I don't know that they were friends but my granddad and John used to swap and buy and sell cattle for breeding purposes around that time...........best burgers I've ever eaten by far. Legend has it that in the early days John would sometimes slaughter beeves in the AM, butcher and grind and only cool the meat a bit so it wouldn't fall apart and cook and serve at lunch. Betty grew up around all that.

For a number of years Betty and Bernay served their own beef as well.

Good people all around.

For a span of time around San Angelo one could eat world class food at the Lowake Inn (closed in '81 or '82 IIRC), Zentner's Daughter which opened in the mid '70s and the original downtown SA Fuentes Mexican food place which was equally fabulous. I'm pretty sure one of the Fuentes children has re-opened the downtown location. I'd bet it's great.

Old 04-12-2021, 10:10 AM

19,778 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Yes, I remember it. Honestly, the place had gone downhill in recent years. I was there for an office luncheon, and the place was just sad. It smelled musty and of old people, the service was achingly slow, and the food was mediocre at best. I wasn't surprised it closed. I think those last few years they were pulling on business out of those who had sentimental reasons or those who went out of habit, not necessarily because the place had good food.
The place always smelled like old people, looked worn too and the service was always slow. The food did go downhill towards then end.

Old 05-11-2021, 12:07 PM

2,449 posts, read 5,947,779 times
Just as an FYI. Zentner's Daughter is now closed. An Italian restaurant (Napoli's) now runs from their location.

Old 05-19-2021, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
Just as an FYI. Zentner's Daughter is now closed. An Italian restaurant (Napoli's) now runs from their location.
i was aware that the restaurant in question went out of bidness.But I appreciate your input,Rathagos. though.

Old 05-20-2021, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Betty Zentner was married to one of my great-uncles. He was in his 81 or 82 or so and Betty probably her early 70s when they closed. Both Bernay and Betty are lifelong inveterate workaholics who likely both would have died in the kitchen had they kept going.

I know for a fact they had several offers to sell the business instead of closing, my brother and I sent in a bid, but Betty in particular didn't want to take the chance that someone would buy the place and screw it up and she'd feel obligated to come back. That and several of the staff had been there for decades and they were tired too.

FWIIW Betty's father John opened The Lowake Inn (low-A-key and not to be confused with the Lowake Steakhouse) in maybe 1945 or so for years John would raise, slaughter/butcher cattle (like he'd do it by hand on his ranch) and then serve that meat at Lowake. I don't know that they were friends but my granddad and John used to swap and buy and sell cattle for breeding purposes around that time...........best burgers I've ever eaten by far. Legend has it that in the early days John would sometimes slaughter beeves in the AM, butcher and grind and only cool the meat a bit so it wouldn't fall apart and cook and serve at lunch. Betty grew up around all that.

For a number of years Betty and Bernay served their own beef as well.

Good people all around.

For a span of time around San Angelo one could eat world class food at the Lowake Inn (closed in '81 or '82 IIRC), Zentner's Daughter which opened in the mid '70s and the original downtown SA Fuentes Mexican food place which was equally fabulous. I'm pretty sure one of the Fuentes children has re-opened the downtown location. I'd bet it's great.
wow thats pretty interesting.Thanks for sharing.I appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas