Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 06:54 PM

4,434 posts, read 5,348,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Perez also says there are new tools being used in Texas. Some of them include cross-referencing voter rolls with databases she says are problematic.

That's exactly what happened this go round. The SoS cross-referenced the complete state voter rolls against everyone's original drivers license application. Anyone, ANYONE who had checked the box "not a citizen" on their app was immediately put on the illegal voter list. Simple as that.

So let's say you applied for a drivers license as a legal immigrant (for example, you have a green card or an H1-B visa), and properly checked the "not a citizen" box. Years later, you applied for citizenship, passed the tests, became a proud American citizen, and registered to vote. Then in 2019, a d-bag SoS does this intentionally hateful cross-reference, and puts you on the "you are voting illegally" list.

And bingo, this is what happened to tens of thousands of Texans, lawful American citizens. The hate exhibited by the right-wing conservatives is shameful. And has driven me and millions of other moderately conservative Texans to vote Blue. I want no part of this racist hate, and won't vote for a party that supports it, or even allows it, in any form.
Right!

It is racist to ensure that people who should not vote do not vote. I guess it is racist to purge dead people too.

Look at stats by the way. States with voter id have seen no negative correlation with decreased minority voting. Life must be hard to hate people you don’t know. Keep in mind the NC ballot harvesting that is caused an election to be void is legal in CA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2019, 10:06 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,233,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
It is racist to ensure that people who should not vote do not vote. I guess it is racist to purge dead people too.
Did you even read my post? I was talking about people who are legal & registered, and were removed from the voter rolls improperly. And they were targeted since they were one-time immigrants. And the TX Sect of State has officially apologized for his actions.

How does this then become your statement "It is racist to ensure that people who should not vote do not vote."?

If you're going to quote me, then ridicule me with sarcasm, at least be correct.

Old 02-22-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Did you even read my post? I was talking about people who are legal & registered, and were removed from the voter rolls improperly. And they were targeted since they were one-time immigrants. And the TX Sect of State has officially apologized for his actions.

How does this then become your statement "It is racist to ensure that people who should not vote do not vote."?

If you're going to quote me, then ridicule me with sarcasm, at least be correct.
You are the one that started throwing out the racist comments. Just because a state agency is incompetent does not mean it is racist.

It really does speak volumes that the same states that hold our elections cannot follow federal election laws. Look west...

Quote:
California and Los Angeles County have agreed to purge as many as 1.5 million inactive voter registrations across the state as part of a court settlement finalized Wednesday with Judicial Watch, a conservative activist group.

Judicial Watch sued the county and state voter-registration agencies in Los Angeles federal court, arguing that the state was not complying with a federal law requiring the removal of inactive registrations that remain after two general elections, or two to four years.

Inactive voter registrations usually occur when voters move to another country or state or pass away but remain on the rolls. The lawsuit alleged that Los Angeles County, with more than 10 million residents, has more voter registrations than it has citizens old enough to register with a registration rate of 112 percent of its adult citizen population.
https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/l...505494031.html

How does this happen?

Old 02-22-2019, 05:59 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,233,839 times
Quote:
You are the one that started throwing out the racist comments. Just because a state agency is incompetent does not mean it is racist.
Correct. But in this case, it is obvious to all but the blind that this was racist based profiling. His list was 100% immigrants, and he made -zero- effort to see if they were legal voters or not. I guess he was hoping his actions would slip under the radar, and he would have all these "furriners" off the rolls.

And now he's lost his job. He no longer has the votes necessary to be confirmed in his position (he was working as an appointee, waiting for confirmation).

Bottom line: It doesn't matter whether he's an idiot or a racist (or both). He screwed up, big-time. And he's been made "available to the industry".

Old 02-25-2019, 01:44 PM

431 posts, read 257,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Not an admirable distinction.

The Voter Suppression State
If it is your goal to keep people of color from the polls, you can once again look to Texas for guidance
By Mimi Swartz, Texas Monthly

The state that gave you two recent mediocre-to-crummy Republican presidents (who are starting to look downright Lincolnesque compared to you-know-who), gerrymandering in the guise of redistricting (thanks a lot, Tom DeLay) and a profound if misguided antipathy to government in general is now surging ahead in a new field: voter suppression. As someone who loves Texas with a triple shot of ambivalence, I take no pleasure in spreading this news.

Opinion | The Voter Suppression StateLatest Commentary Today, Breaking Business News Worldwide | Latest Commentary Today, Breaking Business News Worldwide
As an immigrant and now lawful citizen myself, I knew at the tender age of 5, certain things that a "legal resident" and a citizen could and could not do. One of those things was the right to vote. This was imbedded in me by my parents and supported in basic U.S. social studies courses in school; something that seems to be lacking in todays politically correct environment. The resident card (green card) gave me just about every right a citizen had with the biggest exception being not having the right to vote.
As a legal resident, I had a social security number and could get a state issued ID or drivers license, but I could not vote. It seems to me, this Mimi Swartz and yourself would have encouraged folks like me, before I was a citizen, to try my luck at voting with the hopes that I would not have gotten caught; and who knows, I may not have. Either way, it would have been illegal. But using modern day tactics I could have played the race card I suppose and I would had the backing of folks like you that paint this as a racist suppression strategy by conservatives.
For me this is not voter suppression, it is the right of any sovereign government to enforce their laws, especially one that determines the town's, state or nations identity. If you truly believe this is to suppress "people of color" or immigrants like myself because the mindset is that we can't afford identification cards or the gas it takes to go get it, I can tell you that the $16 it costs to get an ID in Texas, is much... much less than most people pay to go out on a Saturday night. If they are legal and in good standing with the law, dishing out $16 for an ID is not voter suppression. On the contrary, it is suppression of the people who have earned the right to vote one way or another. This article is a leftist effort to give Texas a black eye since it's a mostly a conservative state, IMO.

Old 02-26-2019, 06:23 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
So your daughter was accidentally dropped from a voters list, and she resubmitted her documentation proving that she was legally able to vote, and she voted.

When I moved from one county to another, I had to resubmit something or other as well. So I did so. And then I voted.
Two points
You has to register to vote in your legal precinct when you moved
You have a certain time frame to do that when you move
If you move too late in the process you can vote in your OLD/original precinct I believe
We did that when we moved to our current address the first election that rolled around
But YOU KNEW you moved and changed not just your legal address but your county—
YOUR responsibility because you were no longer a legal resident of prior precinct...
And did you also notify your prior/original precinct that you were no longer eligible to vote in there?
That is one reason there are many duplications of people on voting lists
They move and might register in NEW district but not notify the one they left...
Of course you have Dick Cheney who was living in Houston and had home in Montana and was registered to vote in both states...that seemed a little more suspicious to me...
Same with Steve Bannon—registered in FL and in NYC for same election

There was no reason to drop the daughter from the roles—none, nada—
She didn’t move from what the OP said
She didn’t go to jail
So there was no reason for that to happen—ergo it happened on the part of the election system
The system did NOT notify the young woman that she was purged—because of the SYSTEM’s mistake

That is the flaw in what the AG is doing
Dropping people on local election lists likely because of some bogus similarity to a felon or name registered in another precinct...
If you wait to late—like the day you go to vote and find out—you have to file a provisional ballot and that might not work...

Old 02-27-2019, 09:23 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthTexasGuy View Post
As an immigrant and now lawful citizen myself, I knew at the tender age of 5, certain things that a "legal resident" and a citizen could and could not do. One of those things was the right to vote. This was imbedded in me by my parents and supported in basic U.S. social studies courses in school; something that seems to be lacking in todays politically correct environment. The resident card (green card) gave me just about every right a citizen had with the biggest exception being not having the right to vote.
As a legal resident, I had a social security number and could get a state issued ID or drivers license, but I could not vote. It seems to me, this Mimi Swartz and yourself would have encouraged folks like me, before I was a citizen, to try my luck at voting with the hopes that I would not have gotten caught; and who knows, I may not have. Either way, it would have been illegal. But using modern day tactics I could have played the race card I suppose and I would had the backing of folks like you that paint this as a racist suppression strategy by conservatives.
For me this is not voter suppression, it is the right of any sovereign government to enforce their laws, especially one that determines the town's, state or nations identity. If you truly believe this is to suppress "people of color" or immigrants like myself because the mindset is that we can't afford identification cards or the gas it takes to go get it, I can tell you that the $16 it costs to get an ID in Texas, is much... much less than most people pay to go out on a Saturday night. If they are legal and in good standing with the law, dishing out $16 for an ID is not voter suppression. On the contrary, it is suppression of the people who have earned the right to vote one way or another. This article is a leftist effort to give Texas a black eye since it's a mostly a conservative state, IMO.
This is a great post. Thanks for your insight.

Some of the most zealously protective people of our system that I know are legal immigrants. I was just talking with a guy the other day who was bidding on some contract work at my house. I didn't bring up anything about immigration or politics or anything like that. This guy happened to be Hispanic and young, looked like he was in his mid twenties at the latest. He owns the business (fences, trees work, etc) and he was so proud of his work, and his business, and his big new truck - LOL. He was showing me all sorts of photos of work he and his company have done in this area and somehow it came up that I used to be a bank manager and the conversation evolved from there. He told me how he had first gotten his green card, and then his SS card and he was now a legal US citizen. He was so proud of this! I don't know how long he's lived here but he didn't have much of an accent and he's young so I am assuming he came here when he was a minor. Anyway, he was sharp as a tack. And he was adamant about the benefits of being a legal US citizen and how it had taken some work but it wasn't insurmountable work, and he was frustrated when he heard other people talk about circumventing the system because he said it doesn't have to be done.

Now I don't know - I've never tried to immigrate anywhere.

But I really appreciated his input and now yours as well. Thank you.

Old 02-27-2019, 10:23 AM

1,062 posts, read 981,191 times
Quote:

It really does speak volumes that the same states that hold our elections cannot follow federal election laws. Look west...

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/l...505494031.html

How does this happen?
Because voter rolls are not magically kept up to date. I registered to vote in another state and when I moved back to Texas I discovered I was still registered, even though my DL had transferred. It doesn't matter, because I didn't vote, and neither do all those people still on the rolls. It doesn't mean there's fraud.

Old 02-27-2019, 03:42 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthisle View Post
It doesn't matter, because I didn't vote, and neither do all those people still on the rolls. It doesn't mean there's fraud.
....and there was no Box 13 in Jim Wells County, eh?

Old 02-27-2019, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthisle View Post
Because voter rolls are not magically kept up to date. I registered to vote in another state and when I moved back to Texas I discovered I was still registered, even though my DL had transferred. It doesn't matter, because I didn't vote, and neither do all those people still on the rolls. It doesn't mean there's fraud.
How would you know if someone voted for you before voter id? The fact is voter ID has NOT suppressed voting and the stats show it. Then again this is city data and everyone here has an ID and an internet connection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
....and there was no Box 13 in Jim Wells County, eh?
The person quoted above yours does not care about facts or history. Reading the post is like watching AOC say stupid things on Instagram stories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas