Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 02:40 PM

384 posts, read 1,415,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Are you serious? No wonder I saw so many beards in Denton.

As a gay man, I love beards. I am starting to understand Denton better now.

yes im serious. folks throughout the indie circuit are now referring to denton as that "beard town".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
What is House of Tennitus and S***banger?

sorry... i didnt explain earlier.

House of Tinnitus is a house venue in Denton that houses performance art shows usually revolving around Noise music. one recent band or artist that performed there used a microphone plugged up to a plate a glass that he would scratch and scrap on his face to make sounds....

Independent Weekly: Lucas Abela bleeds music

losts of odd stuff happening at this venue.

the slutbanger recently changed its name to "the intimate encounter"

and the jury is still out in terms of what is actually happening there.

its primarily a house venue where bands play but there have been some reports of lude and crude actions going on there.

last i heard the place was completley torn up from the inside. acts of accepted vandalism. the place changes constantly because of the accepted vandalism system they have going on there. the house has a history of alledgedly being a haunted house which adds to the mystic.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:05 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,711,818 times
Default can we say UNDERSTATEMENT OF THE YEAR???

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbit View Post

House of Tinnitus is a house venue in Denton that houses performance art shows usually revolving around Noise music. one recent band or artist that performed there used a microphone plugged up to a plate a glass that he would scratch and scrap on his face to make sounds....

Sounds a little like various incarnations of Notsuoh here in Houston... minus the blood.

Old 03-16-2008, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Sounds a little like various incarnations of Notsuoh here in Houston... minus the blood.
Notsuoh ? now you got me searching.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:10 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,156,264 times
Default The new Denton

This doesn't sound like the Denton I lived in in the late 60's when I went to and graduated from NTSU (Now UNT) I had friends majoring in art and music who were on the edge for then, but it sounds like Denton has moved way beyond what was there then. I will have to visit again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbit View Post

the slutbanger recently changed its name to "the intimate encounter"

and the jury is still out in terms of what is actually happening there.

its primarily a house venue where bands play but there have been some reports of lude and crude actions going on there.

last i heard the place was completley torn up from the inside. acts of accepted vandalism. the place changes constantly because of the accepted vandalism system they have going on there. the house has a history of alledgedly being a haunted house which adds to the mystic.

Old 03-17-2008, 02:16 PM

238 posts, read 768,294 times
It's growing by leaps and bounds. That's all you need to know. It is not such a bad place, and don't believe anyone who thinks it is.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:54 PM

Why would it be a bad place? Maybe if you enjoy normal texas towns with a lot of traffic... it would be a bad place.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:30 PM

756 posts, read 1,887,068 times
[quote=atxcio;3074867]I think what it means is that Austin has grown so much that it doesn't have the same college town, laid back feel as it used to. There is some truth to that. But there are certain things about Austin that are the same, the Hill Country, lots of live music, lakes, liberalness.. quote]

I think the liberal attitude in Austin 20 years ago was very accepting, laidback, disdain for outside influence, and very independent. Unfortunately, today that liberal attitude is condascending, pretentious, elitist, and trendy. I am not sure if all of the California transplants have been a major factor in this, but the Austin of old was enjoyable.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:52 PM

124 posts, read 450,701 times
Personally, I think the comparison between Denton and Austin 20 years ago is a bit off the mark. Twenty years ago, Austin was a city of half a million people and an emerging technology center with corporations like IBM, Motorola and 3M among its major employers. Austin was the center of commerce for the Central Texas region and as such had many decent options for shopping, restaurants, entertainment and various other diversions. Denton's population just recently topped 100,000, with most of the growth due to suburban expansion from the Dallas area. Denton is a nice quiet town, but other than a small cluster of entertainment establishments and a small regional mall, one generally has to venture towards Dallas to get a taste of city life. I think a more apt comparison for Denton in Central Texas would be San Marcos.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:03 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,647,915 times
Denton will probably never be anything like Austin since it is basically a suburb of Dallas and Ft Worth, and will always be overshadowed and lumped in with the two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas