Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 07:10 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiamariakia View Post
Thanks everyone! Your advice has been so helpful. Mega man, you mentioned what about the weather i was looking for...I want WARM winters! I would like mid-50/60/70 degrees in Jan-Feb.

On the small town thing, I am not a clubber or anything like that....I do like to shop, i do like nice dining and movies on occasion. I like dressing nicely and keep my appearance quite put together, and I do not want to stick out and be out the "norm" or feel like I being stared at bc there are not enough of similar people.

However, I am okay with a slow pace but not a slow mentality bc I am a "mind my own business type of person." My issue is when others think my business is their business. I want a good church, nice gym, a nice mall, and nice living environment ( i can walk around in the evening). I do NOT want to feel like I am restricted in any kind of way.

Again, I do NOT mind small town as far as the pace, the quietness. I do not drink, smoke, drug or any of that so I am fine with a dry town. I am fine with church, but I am not looking for one of those church places that are hypocritical, church going, but at the same time hating thy neighbor for no reason. Again, my concern is I have heard of these places seen them in the movies, but coming from an urban area and suburbs of diverse professionals, I have not had allot of experience with an exclusive culture. I just want peace of mind that I can be me and go and come without stares like you have not seen a professional AA which there are AA all over TV and radio.

I feel in the year 2014, an issue of finding somewhere to comfortably live for anyone should not be an issue; however, when your not accustomed to an area or its subtle or unspoken culture, you want to be informed. I know nothing about Longview, so there may not be any issues of concern; however, every place has a culture or vibe, and I am just trying to get some glimpse into the vibe and inclusiveness of the community.

I want decent neighbors whom I can walk outside and its not like seeing Michele Obama (okay that was a big stretch :0), but still I hope you catch what I am trying to say). From one of the post it started to seem like AAs are mostly poor, and I am thinking it must be segregated with a have and have nots type of mentality where AA are "expected" not to have and get stares when they do "have." Please say it aint so, however, I always prefer TRUTH over sugar coated reality. Thanks to everyone as all advice shared is most appreciated and a million thanks!
Do you have a job offer in Longview? What sort of work are you planning on doing?

Longview has decent shopping - and Tyler has BETTER shopping and is only about 40 miles away. I think you will be fine in either town. Dallas is two hours away and Shreveport is one hour away from Longview. Between all those good sized towns/cities you should be very well "shopped and entertained!"

In all of the cities I just mentioned, including Longview, there are plenty of professional African Americans living and working in various industries. You sound like a polished, intelligent woman and I am sure you will have no problem making friends of any race in these areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 07:25 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,793,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
In all of the cities I just mentioned, including Longview, there are plenty of professional African Americans living and working in various industries. You sound like a polished, intelligent woman and I am sure you will have no problem making friends of any race in these areas.
"Plenty" though? I don't deny that they are there in Tyler/Longview, but there simply won't be the community that she is most accustomed to.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
"Plenty" though? I don't deny that they are there in Tyler/Longview, but there simply won't be the community that she is most accustomed to.
Who's saying she has to hang out exclusively with AA professionals? My point is that as a professional, intelligent young woman, she should have no problem making friends and finding her place in Longview.

A good friend of mine is an AA woman who is a bank manager in the Longview area - she has a wide circle of friends of various races and interests and working in different industries. The common ground is that they're all similar in age, intelligence, professionalism, and values. She has AA and white and Hispanic friends. She is also active in her church, she is a member of a gym, etc. She's very happy and busy and has a full and interesting life.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Who's saying she has to hang out exclusively with AA professionals? My point is that as a professional, intelligent young woman, she should have no problem making friends and finding her place in Longview.

A good friend of mine is an AA woman who is a bank manager in the Longview area - she has a wide circle of friends of various races and interests and working in different industries. The common ground is that they're all similar in age, intelligence, professionalism, and values. She has AA and white and Hispanic friends. She is also active in her church, she is a member of a gym, etc. She's very happy and busy and has a full and interesting life.
She made it a point to specify black professionals, so I'm assuming she's interested in having a circle of associates who are much like herself.

All I'm saying is that East Texas may not be the best fit for her, considering her background.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:06 AM

Quote:
She made it a point to specify black professionals, so I'm assuming she's interested in having a circle of associates who are much like herself.

All I'm saying is that East Texas may not be the best fit for her, considering her background.
And all I'm saying is that I'm pretty sure that if she has a normal personality, she will have no problem making friends and finding a fit here.

She said she's not a clubber. Most people only need a few friends - not a huge circle of friends - to feel emotionally fulfilled. Now - if all she wants is AA professional friends, sure - she's going to find a smaller group in Longview or Tyler than she will in Atlanta or Dallas or Baltimore or wherever. But that's because the town itself is smaller so of course the pool is smaller.

I think she should definitely visit the area first - spend a couple of weeks here if possible, looking at real estate, observing people, interacting with people.

Old 10-01-2014, 12:40 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,041,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiamariakia View Post
Hi,

Moving to Longview, TX and kind of afraid, I do not know what to expect? Where do professional young blacks live in Longview, TX? Also, are the people there progressive minded or is it a "hick" town, that is ..it still decades behind? I appreciate any info. you can share on best areas to stay? Thanks!
So it's either "progressive minded" people or "hicks living decades behind"?

If those are your 2 classifications of people you should stay in whatever urban environment you live in currently because those of us who do live in rural Texas don't take too kindly to your kind of bigotry and prejudice.

Old 10-01-2014, 01:09 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,273,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post

If those are your 2 classifications of people you should stay in whatever urban environment you live in currently because those of us who do live in rural Texas don't take too kindly to your kind of bigotry and prejudice.
Agreed. Yeah it's not a good start when you lead off with basically "Are you all hicks..."

I heard that a lot growing up in SE Tx, and it was never meant as a compliment.

Old 10-01-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post

Oh, you mean like how a certain race of people can't even dress a certain way without being called "ghetto" or "thugs"? I guess it does work both ways after all.

I'm certain the OP does not intend to offend anyone. But her questions are valid.

Old 10-01-2014, 02:31 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,273,096 times
I have heard 'ghetto' and 'thugs' applied to all races. No lie.

Old 10-01-2014, 02:56 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,041,959 times
Quote:
Oh, you mean like how a certain race of people can't even dress a certain way without being called "ghetto" or "thugs"? I guess it does work both ways after all.

I'm certain the OP does not intend to offend anyone. But her questions are valid.
Whether she intended to offend anyone or not makes no difference, the statement was offensive and ignorant at best.

When you say that people are either progressive minded or hicks living decades behind you don't leave a lot of room for interpretation... especially when the overwhelming majority of people don't fall in either of those categories, especially in Longview Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas