Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 04:00 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,392,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Again, nothing other than cost. Plenty of the older buildings built in DFW area had basements, most of the historical ones did. Plenty of expensive homes in Highland Park also have basements.
My waterline on my house which doesn't have a basement goes into my house 4 feet underground, so the frost line isn't a consideration either. Digging a deeper trench 20-30 linear feet across a yard is not at all comparable cost-wise to digging a 30X30 foot or larger basement, so anyone who says its because of the frost line has no idea what they are talking about.

Granted, my time of living in Dallas was decades ago, but I still have family there, and I'm wondering where on earth you're talking about that basements are common? I lived in Highland Park, by the way, as well as Oak Lawn, and have friends who remodeled homes in Oak Cliff for a living.

As for saying it's because of the frost line, you obviously misread what was stated, which is true. The frost line UP NORTH requires deeper foundations which makes it more reasonable to go ahead and have basements. We don't have that problem down here and so don't need to have basements - we have other solutions to the same problems that fit the climate we're in, not the one someone else is in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 04:53 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,885,004 times
Basements are damp, humid, and dark. Why would we want them down here? Our ground doesn't freeze, we don't need them.

End of story. Period.

Old 06-27-2018, 06:43 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneySilva View Post
I hear you, KathrynAragon, but I also found this guy yesterday who is really challenging these concepts. Check out his web-site. Basement Kings | The Basement Contractors In TX He apparently started with swimming pools where he had to address many of the same issues as one would with basements and then he got deep into basements. He has one of the only books on the subject and does consulting globally about it, but he lives right here in Texas. I always feel like it’s worth digging into deeply, before I abandon the idea, which is what I’m doing.

By the way, if you check out his site, take a look at the innovations tab. There is some really cool technology out there like self healing/sealing concrete, building techniques which become stronger the more outside force that is placed on them and a few more.

I’ve always looked at deep underground parking garages or places like downtown Dallas where there is an entire underground infrastructure of shops and tunnels and I think if they can do that, then what is truly preventing me getting a basement. That said, we’re moving out past Tyler, and I know that can change the picture - hence digging in and asking more questions. We know it’s been done successfully, the question is how and at what cost?
I am sure that in some locations and with some techniques you could build a basement. I was just pointing out that generally speaking, there are very valid reasons why there are significantly fewer homes in TX with basements and they really have nothing to do with "We don't know nuthin bout no basements."

Anyway, good luck! I like basements that don't leak and aren't damp. I've had both kinds - good and bad - in areas further north. When they're good, they're very very good but when they're bad, they're horrid!

Old 06-27-2018, 11:33 AM

5,264 posts, read 6,402,042 times
Quote:
I'm wondering where on earth you're talking about that basements are common?
The older homes - the original homes all had basements. In the 1800-1900s. Not the tract homes built in Dallas from the 1930s on.

Quote:
As for saying it's because of the frost line, you obviously misread what was stated, which is true. The frost line UP NORTH requires deeper foundations which makes it more reasonable to go ahead and have basements.
Again, burying a water and sewer line multiple feet in the ground does not require a basement. It requires digging a ditch.

And in 2018, underground parking in Dallas is becoming incredibly common, as in every new building has some underground parking. Land prices drive basements.

Old 06-27-2018, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
The older homes - the original homes all had basements. In the 1800-1900s. Not the tract homes built in Dallas from the 1930s on.

Again, burying a water and sewer line multiple feet in the ground does not require a basement. It requires digging a ditch.

And in 2018, underground parking in Dallas is becoming incredibly common, as in every new building has some underground parking. Land prices drive basements.
Half the homes in DFW probably have had foundation work done as well - which involves driving piers multiple feet into the ground - again even in ye olden days required digging ditches, not 30X30 holes.

Old 09-08-2018, 06:40 PM

9 posts, read 13,755 times
Janey Silva,
If you would like to email me about successful basement construction, you can reach me at reimersmarc@hotmail.com

Old 08-21-2019, 10:55 AM

Kathryn. This was a post from one of websites you referenced. This gentlemen actually builds in North Texas and refutes each claim. In the northern part of the US, dealing with these issues is standard fare. So, it is not just me saying these things within a vacuum.

Tom
3 years ago

I’ve reviewed this post and feel compelled to add 40+ years of experience and facts in response to it. The author offers up 4 reasons for a lack of basements in Texas – let’s review:

Rock – false. Rock’s presence has only affected cost twice out of hundreds of basements done to date. Rock exist on a site to site basic and therefore is not a general reason for lack of basements in Texas.

Water table – false. Once again ground water is a site by site issue if at all. We’ve seen 2.5 gallons per minute of water coming into an excavation. That project has been dry for years due to proper drainage and management.

Soil movement & frost line – false. Soil movement is a result of moisture changes in the dirt. Freeze is only one – rain, wind, and sun cause moisture changes also. Up north they acknowledge the potential and know how deep to put a foundation to eliminate damage. The Texas soil moves due to summer drought shrinking the ground and the winter rains expanding the soil. So, the issue in Texas is that it’s not understood. Texas drought will cause foundation damage down to between 30” and 36”. The typical Texas “foundation,” which is a shallow slab, usually only penetrates the dirt less than 16” resulting in potential damage. Therefore, I label soil movement in Texas a “3’ drought line.”

If Texas would identify and acknowledge the 3’ drought line and built deeper foundations on footers the foundation failure rate in Texas would dissipate in new home construction immediately.

Tom Werling

Founder, President of North Texas Basements, Inc

Last edited by Cram; 08-21-2019 at 11:31 AM..

Old 08-21-2019, 11:08 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,315,790 times
Well, then, it must be because we Texans are such ignorant rubes and hicks.

Why don't you educate us? Who knows, in a generation or two we might even be able to read, write, and start wearing shoes.

Old 08-21-2019, 12:14 PM

Well, I did not say that about Texans but I do think it is worth exploring different building techniques.

Old 08-21-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Well, I did not say that about Texans but I do think it is worth exploring different building techniques.

You can say it about older Texans, like as soon as you offer some knowledge they get all huffy about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas