Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 09:03 AM
HVW HVW started this thread

4 posts, read 30,846 times

Advertisements

Am preparing to retire from a Federal position in Dallas and wife (Texas Native) and I (Eternal Resident) - no children, are considering packing the pension and relocating to the Alpine / Marfa area. Any and all information, insights, recommendations, etc., will be greatly appreciated. Many "THANKS!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2006, 02:30 PM

1 posts, read 7,880 times
Here it goes HVW. My family and I lived in Alpine for three years. We lived in the center of town on the 500 block of 8th street. From there we walked to the grocery store, the movies, college, walked our son to school, walked to the public library etc. Alpine is small with small town people. There is little or no stealing. Everyone knows everybody else or else knows somebody who does. I loved the place and wished we didn't have to move because of a new position. Its a nice place with nice people and nice views. Ft Davis and Marfa are only a 30 minute drive. Marfa has turned into an artsy town. Alpine is getting there and Ft Davis isn' far behind.

ON the negative side, you are one hour from a small Walmart in Ft Stockton and two to three hours from good shopping. You will have to do business with the locals with very little competition. There are some in Alpine who can't accept diversity among people and you hear it once in a while.

For the most part, Alpine is a nice place to retire. The weather is great, the views are great, and the people are great and the cost of living is great as least it was when I left in 2003. Other than that, you can't go wrong.

Feel free to email me if you have any questions.

good luck

Old 03-30-2006, 06:26 AM

Thumbs up Thanks!!

Thank you for the informative response. While all this time in Texas we knew no one from this area. As this develops, I hope you will not mind if I might want to follow up with you. Thanks, again, and good luck where you are now. HVW

Old 03-30-2006, 09:25 AM

1 posts, read 7,879 times
Default Alpine

Loved Alpine, went to school there at Sul Ross State back in late 80's. Still keep in touch with many of my profs there and guys I went to school with. Always thought it would be a great place to retire. As previous post said nearest wal-mart in Ft. Stockton 1 1/2 hrs and other shopping in Midland 3 hrs. Complained about prices in the supermarket one time and was told that there's 4 ways in town and 4 ways out, ha, ha. Loved going down to Big Bend and used to take the train out of Ojinaga other side of Presido (but often drove 4hrs. to Chihuahua City for fun, nice city, good hotels and food and shopping. Activities at the University seemed to be very community oriented plays, sports ect. Think you'll enjoy it. Weather is great not to hot in summer since you're at 5000 ft winters mild but can get down in the 20's Jan/Feb but could also be in 70/80's. El Paso is 4 hrs, Dallas 8 hrs I think. You might want to rent first for a year to see if Alpine's for you. Some folks couldn't take the isolation and small town atmosphere yet others loved it and became part of the community.

Old 04-01-2006, 01:52 PM

Thanks, mcdab. Small and far away is exactly what we are looking for.

HVW

Old 04-28-2006, 12:13 PM

7 posts, read 35,891 times
Hi - I was born and raised in Marfa and moved to Alpine for 20 years, and am now back home in Marfa in the home where i grew up. They are two completely different towns. Alpine is a typical small college town with the ups and downs of all the students and their pranks, etc. Marfa is an old ranching town that has become an art mecca. We now have 10 art galleries and virtually no crime.

The weather in Marfa is usually 10 or so degrees cooler than Alpine - and is normally the coolest spot in Texas. Presidio - 60 miles south of Marfa - is usually the hottest spot in Texas.

The small town politics are always entertaining as are some of the characters in this area, such as the Donkey Lady.

We have the mountains in Ft. Davis and the Rio Grande River down south.

I liked Alpine, but love Marfa. Any place in far West Texas is great! Unless you go too far west and then there is El Paso - a 3 hour drive. A good shopping city, but i have very little patience with traffic after living here. We have to drive 100 miles to see a three colored traffic light. (Thank goodness for the internet when it comes to shopping....)

I have also lived in other Texas cities/towns - but you just can't beat the weather (we have almost no humidity) and the friendly people out here.
If i didn't already live here - i would do whatever it took to get here!!
MCM

Old 05-31-2006, 03:17 PM

2 posts, read 9,662 times
Default Alpine and Marfa Relocation

Both Fort Worth natives, my husband and I are wanting to move to the Alpine/Marfa/Ft. Davis area so badly. Alas, it will be at least a year before we can consider moving, and we will need to continue to work for another 10 or more. We have scouted some of the real estate - and yikes! Employment appears to be problematic as well.

We are in the process of starting up a new mural business ( hubby is a a very talented artist, and prefers the western genre) and wonder if this location will be too much of a impediment or a help. But, what wonderful inspiration in the local landscape!

Old 05-31-2006, 06:00 PM

1,883 posts, read 3,003,685 times
Quote:
We are in the process of starting up a new mural business ( hubby is a a very talented artist, and prefers the western genre) and wonder if this location will be too much of a impediment or a help.

You will actually be moving to an artsy area.The reason for high real estate is a lot of people retiring into the area from out of state.Marfa is becoming sort of art mecca of Texas.If you've ever had a dream of making a living from art and living in such a landscape you will definitely want to check out Marfa/Ft. Davis.

Old 08-28-2006, 01:24 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown Pattie View Post
Both Fort Worth natives, my husband and I are wanting to move to the Alpine/Marfa/Ft. Davis area so badly. Alas, it will be at least a year before we can consider moving, and we will need to continue to work for another 10 or more. We have scouted some of the real estate - and yikes! Employment appears to be problematic as well.

We are in the process of starting up a new mural business ( hubby is a a very talented artist, and prefers the western genre) and wonder if this location will be too much of a impediment or a help. But, what wonderful inspiration in the local landscape!
I live in Fort Worth too, and I love the Ft Davis-Alpine-Marfa area. I've been to the Texas Star Party twice, and the stars at night are definitely big and bright out there. The main problem is that I'm a professional musician, and I doubt if I could do much with that out there. The climate is splendid there compared to the nearly insufferable summers here. I may try to retire out there.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:07 AM

28 posts, read 133,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyowl View Post
Here it goes HVW. My family and I lived in Alpine for three years. We lived in the center of town on the 500 block of 8th street. From there we walked to the grocery store, the movies, college, walked our son to school, walked to the public library etc. Alpine is small with small town people. There is little or no stealing. Everyone knows everybody else or else knows somebody who does. I loved the place and wished we didn't have to move because of a new position. Its a nice place with nice people and nice views. Ft Davis and Marfa are only a 30 minute drive. Marfa has turned into an artsy town. Alpine is getting there and Ft Davis isn' far behind.

ON the negative side, you are one hour from a small Walmart in Ft Stockton and two to three hours from good shopping. You will have to do business with the locals with very little competition. There are some in Alpine who can't accept diversity among people and you hear it once in a while.

For the most part, Alpine is a nice place to retire. The weather is great, the views are great, and the people are great and the cost of living is great as least it was when I left in 2003. Other than that, you can't go wrong.

Feel free to email me if you have any questions.

good luck
Hey, just wondering how two retired gay seniors would find the "climate" in Alpine-Marfa-Fort Davis?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas