Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your Smoking habits
I smoke 22 17.74%
I occasionally smoke 7 5.65%
I quit smoking 31 25.00%
I have never smoked 58 46.77%
I sneak a smoke sometime 2 1.61%
Other 3 2.42%
I am am lying about it all 1 0.81%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 11:22 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times

Advertisements

Answer honest.

I remember back when even kids could buy cigs and they cost about 40 cents a pack!

Oh lord, the first time I got caught smoking...

See the earlier revised thread on all the stories....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIN8MmMloZE

Last edited by TexasReb; 04-16-2011 at 11:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 11:29 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
What is YOUR answer?

When my dad would send me in a store to get his Kent, one pk was $.25! (yes I am old)

Now I noticed they are $5....omg, if you do smoke, quit!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Answer honest.

I remember back when even kids could buy cigs and they cost about 40 cents a pack!

Oh lord, the first time I got caught smoking...

See the earlier revised thread on all the stories....

Old 04-16-2011, 11:31 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,182,616 times
Pack-a-day for the better side of 15 years, about 4 years now w/out a single cig

Quit on my first attempt, the patch made it cake (and I wanted to, which I think alot that 'try' really don't) and gave me some insane dreams for the couple months I used'em.

Old 04-16-2011, 11:31 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
I have never touched a cigarette. I am allergic, so I knew from an early age not to go near that stuff.

Old 04-16-2011, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
What is YOUR answer?

When my dad would send me in a store to get his Kent, one pk was $.25! (yes I am old)

See that revised thread titled Smoking in the Boys room!

I have to admit, that I STILL have dreams about smoking a cigarette...and I quit about 7 years ago.

Old 04-17-2011, 12:00 AM

2,325 posts, read 3,932,372 times
I have a neighbor who smokes, and the prevailing winds send the byproduct in my direction when I'm outside. It gets annoying. I've sometimes wondered though, what would aliens think of people sticking burning objects in their mouths to inhale? They might get a little confused. Anyway...

Old 04-17-2011, 07:42 AM

714 posts, read 2,931,782 times
My dad died when I was 14. He died of emphasema and congestive heart failure from being a long-term smoker. I even hate looking at a cigarette.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
What is YOUR answer?

LOL Here is the story (copied and pasted from the earlier revised thread) about the first time I ALMOST got busted smoking, then later, did!

It may be hard for some younger Texans to believe, but there was a time a kid of 10 could walk into a "Jiffy Store" and buy a pack of cigarettes with no problem at all. The law was on the books not to sell to anyone under 18...but it wasn't enforced at all.

This was a day and age when about 70% of the adult population smoked...and ashtrays and silver-gilt fancy lighters were a part of most living rooms when entertaining guests. To not have permitted smoking in your house was pretty much tantamount to not having anybody over at all.

It seemed that almost EVERYONE smoked! And there was a "smoking hall" in my high-school. Smoking just seemed a sort of "rite of passage" so to speak.

Anyway, the paradox was that our parents didn't want US to take up the habit! It would "stunt your growth" or something like that. THEY smoked, but YOU better not. A double standard? Yeah, for sure. But a funny one, in retrospect.

Just a little story on it...

One time me and a friend went back "into the woods" to smoke. We didn't know the concept of inhaling at the time, but just that we were doing something "forbidden" made it "neat". We bought a pack of cigarettes and puffed and blew far removed, then came back into my house where my mother was cleaning the kitchen.

When we would do this (sneak off and "smoke" that is), the usual procedure was to go straight to the bathroom and wash our mouths out with some toothpaste. This particular day though, soon as we walked in, momma said something like "Randy, you and James come in here right now!"

Gawdamighty, we panicked. Busted for sure. My daddy, when he got home from work, was gonna whup my ass good...for she was sure to tell him...

"Just a minute, momma..." We ran to the bathroom where I grabbed the tube of what I thought was toothpaste. It wasnt. This was 1967 and it was Brylcream...a little dab'l do ya...

I gagged on it...but I figured, hey?...if I am going to go down, then my buddy will too...so I handed it to him. He squirted it into this mouth, swallowed it, and immediately threw up in the commode...

As it turned out, both of us coming out heaving and weaving, the reason we were summoned originally, was that momma wanted us to help her move a table...

Later, I really DID get caught smoking. Thanks to my tattle-tale little sisters who had been watching too many Brady Bunch episodes...

Greatblueheron? Did you say 25 cents a pack? That is probably about what they were during the day of the story above. Later, the first real job I ever had, we sold them at a little bait house and beer store I worked at (it was owned by some friends of my parents). Cigarettes were 55 cents a pack and quality beer (Coors, Bud, Schlitz, etc) was a $1.45 a six-pack!

This was 1973! LOL

Old 04-17-2011, 09:12 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
I don't remember when cigs were .$25/pack. We used to run into a downtown laundromat vending machine and get them for somewhere between .35/.50/pack!

A "smoking hall" in a high school?? TR, you've got to be kidding!

And yep, during those years, more people smoked than not. Remember when Dino/George Burns and other entertainers used to simply light up during a standup comedy routine? It was just so much a part of the culture.

I remember smoking in class at Texas Tech, and just about anywhere else. The student union building, along with other campus places, had ashtrays on all of the tables, and tall receptacles filled with sand were commonplace by elevators and such.

That seems like a hundred years ago!

I have to laugh at these kids bunched up in places, having a smoke. I see myself, and I know that they will want to quit one day--and have to go through that hell.

32 years later, I am still glad to be free of the stinking, nasty habit, and it amazes me that I ever smoked at all. But I guess when you have both parents and most relatives smoking, it just seems like the (stupid) thing to do.

Both of my parents quit about 15-20 years ago, too, as well as Sis. None of us had the fancy-schmancy prescription aids and such.....we just kept a lot of chewing gum, mints, diet drinks and favorite foods around, LOL!

Old 04-17-2011, 09:23 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
I quit smoking cold turkey in 1976 when cigs were about 25 or 30 cents a pack. Sure do not miss hacking up big gobbets of yellow slimey crap every morning.

During the '60s my Mom, a lifelong pack a day smoker, used to buy a carton of Salems at the Bergstrom Commissary for $1.10 a carton.

She died from emphysema in 1992. It wasn't pleasant watching Mom gasp her life out on her deathbed those last few hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: