Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 04:15 PM

1 posts, read 13,239 times

Advertisements

I purchased an old (maybe) small wall table that has Athen's Table Co stamped on the back. I tried do do a internet search, but came up emtpy. Does anyone have any knowledge of the company and is it still in business? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2007, 02:07 AM

5 posts, read 41,078 times
The company went out of business here several years ago. They had several different facets of the business, Athens Bed Company, Athens Table Company, Athens Desk....etc. A new owner came in and very quickly mismanaged them right into bankruptcy and out of business. A lot of the furniture was sold at the end, some was even "given away" to some of the employees. They did make very good furniture. Many people were left without jobs when the company went under, some who had worked there for many years (including my sister). All of the buildings are still standing and most have other things occupying them now.

Old 06-14-2007, 11:34 AM

98 posts, read 388,642 times
I live in Athens where was it located?

Old 06-14-2007, 11:28 PM

5 posts, read 41,078 times
I'm assuming that you're asking where the company was located. Like I said, they consisted of several different plants with locations in different parts of town. The old bed company was on the right just past Athens hospital as you go in the direction of the high school now or toward Riceville. That is also where the desk company was located, in a building beside the bed company. The table company was just past the Athens municipal building/fire department. It is now owned by Chucks Cabinets/Doors and Pulls and houses their business. There is a building directly across the street from Chucks that was a part of Athens furniture, but I don't remember if it was a different plant or if it was a part of the table company. That's all I can think of right now.

Old 04-14-2009, 04:27 PM

1 posts, read 12,298 times
This information has been so very helpful! Does anyone happen to know around when Athens Furniture, Inc. went into business? I just inherited a piece of Athens furniture that looks to be dated in 1908.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:08 PM

821 posts, read 2,011,289 times
my bedroom furniture that I'm sleeping on now was made at the Athens Bed company

Old 04-15-2009, 11:10 PM

821 posts, read 2,011,289 times
Athens, Tenn., Furniture Manufacturer Closes Plant, Lays Off 600.

Publication: Chattanooga Times/Free Press (Chattanooga, Tennessee) (via Knight-Ridder/Tribune Business News)
Publication Date: 23-MAY-01

COPYRIGHT 2001 Chattanooga Times/Free Press
Byline: Ron Clayton

May 23--ATHENS, Tenn.--Athens' largest furniture plant has closed down its operation, at least temporarily putting many of its 600 employees out of work.

Moderator cut: copyright issues

To see more of the Chattanooga Times/Free Press, or to subscribe to the newspaper, go to Chattanooga Times Free Press | Home Page

(c) 2001, Chattanooga Times/Free Press, Tenn. Distributed by Knight Ridder/Tribune Business News.

Last edited by Marka; 04-20-2009 at 12:34 PM..

Old 09-07-2009, 03:31 PM

1 posts, read 11,921 times
What a shame. I just bought a beautiful tea cart dated Athens Table Co. 12 / 1973 It is in near mint condition with everything appearing to be original.I'm very sorry for all that lost their jobs.Ron

Old 02-20-2012, 06:29 PM

1 posts, read 9,204 times
Just obtained a chair-desk that also has a paper stapled under the seat showing
Athens Home Decor - Athens Table Co Item#487.
When I tried to research this company, the only thing I found was that the Company was organized in 1905.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:23 PM

1 posts, read 8,496 times
I just purchased a chair roll top desk with a tag stapled to the desk Athens Home Decor

Athens Table Co. Athens Tennessee. 8-6-74 1699R. This is in great shape roll top works smoothly
My compliments to the craftsmen-women that worked in these plants. And the Q.A department,
It's to bad it went under because of management. It's another case of no one listening to the little
Guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee