Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 04:55 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,380,684 times

Advertisements

Sorry Daniellefort. The post was not aimed at you. We posted at the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2007, 05:02 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,012,667 times
Silverbox,

I'm hoping that the lower cost of living will be enough to offset the wage difference. I'm surprised, some of the jobs here are not much different then the ones there.....$10 for forklift operator here, $10 laborer, etc When I look at the TN sites, similar jobs are $8 - $10 an hour as well. I honestly don't know how the lower middle class, upper lower class manages here, when a cracker box house is $240,000 to $300,000. Even rents here are $1200 on a 3 bed, 1 ba 1000 sqft cracker box.........owners are seriously not cash flowing.......never mind that's best for that "other" thread.

Tony

Old 03-26-2007, 05:05 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,693,430 times
Tony,

lots of people in South Florida would love to rent a 3/1 for $1200. They're going for over $1500 here. Simply put...it's all relative to the area.

Old 03-26-2007, 05:07 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,380,684 times
Rents here are getting very high.

Old 03-26-2007, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Rents here are getting very high.
how high? and what areas would you recommend if a family with a little one is looking to rent a 3/2 for 6 months to a year before deciding on where to buy?

Old 03-26-2007, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDad View Post
this appears to be one of the big hurdles for most looking to move from a high-cost/high pay/high stress/overcrowded state to a wonderfully temperate climate/lower costing/yet lower wage paying state like TN. the wise ones have said it, and I echo their sentiments....have something lined up before going! It's a personal preference that each family has to decide whether it's right for them or not.

my situation is slightly different, however, being an employee benefits advisor (insurance agent) I have many clients here in Florida, and thus (it appears to me) several options:

1) find work at a local insurance company/agency in TN & sell my business here
2) keep my FL clients and service them from TN while continuing to obtain more FL clients
3) service & keep FL clients, and start looking for TN clients
4) option 2 & 3

Anyone here in the insurance business? Very interested in your input. Thanks
People keep saying to have something lined up before you get there, but that can be a little difficult, but still trying.

Got a question for you, how do you like the insurance field? I keep getting phone calls and emails from insurance companies after seeing my resume online. I have pretty much ignored them, I'm not really into sales, but maybe I'm missing something. What do you think?

tony

Old 03-26-2007, 05:23 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,108,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1790 View Post
People keep saying to have something lined up before you get there, but that can be a little difficult.

tony
Yes. who will want to interview you knowing your in another state anyways espeically If your not close enough to drive to the interview. Then on the other hand, if you do get an interview over the phone with someone and then tell them you have to move there first and can't start right away, that's not going to go over so well either. I guess the only other thing to do is have money on hand to survive for a while before you make the move.

Old 03-26-2007, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1790 View Post
People keep saying to have something lined up before you get there, but that can be a little difficult, but still trying.

Got a question for you, how do you like the insurance field? I keep getting phone calls and emails from insurance companies after seeing my resume online. I have pretty much ignored them, I'm not really into sales, but maybe I'm missing something. What do you think?

tony
The insurance industry offers many different career possibilities. If you're being approached about the "sales end" of the industry my advice would be to proceed with caution. If an insurance company offers you a sales position with training/benefits/bonuses they are usually all contingent upon you being able to produce ie...sell lots of their insurance!

This is very true among insurance carriers that focus on life insurance sales. Their typical M.O. is to recruit a hungry, fresh face and have him/her approach their "top 100" list (they make you write out everyone you know which usually equals about 100 people) and push you to sell them a policy. After you've gone through that list, they throw you on the street and chant "go sell, you've got all the tools" Around this time the "draw" you were getting stops and you're on straight commission. it's basically sink or swim, and thus a tough business to stay in long term unless you've got reserves (or a working spouse to support you

That was the bad side...on the good side, depending on what area a person is involved with, you can build a decent residual income and not have to worry as much. Just be sure to always do what's best for your client (it's not always what's best for your wallet, but it will let you sleep at night and probably get you more business in the form of referals down the road)

regarding your question...I've been in the insurance business since 1993 and really like being able to help people with their insurance needs. There are a lot of numbskulls running around looking for a quick commission, and then there are those looking to build lasting relationships with their clients, and help them protect the people & property important to them.

Old 03-26-2007, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Yeah, well, there you go. Of course, I am just whining again. Sorry to be so depressed guys. I just thought that this was where I could finally afford a place to live.

Y'all are way ahead of me in the game of life and I am 45. It's just that I ALMOST had it. But this is Tony's thread.

I hope I explained about the struggles of finding a job here. That is pertinent and advice from someone that is not a native, lives here NOW, and it really did happen.
There are so many ways to skin that cat, if you really want into a home.

I know that 100% loans and subprime are being stamped out, however, there are still hard money lenders that are willing to lend. If you don't have a down payment, you could arrainge a cash back offer from the seller to cover down payments, etc

You can also do a 80/20 loan with no money down and seller pays closing costs.

Also I would recommend buying a stick built over a mobile, buy a run down stick built, I've seen them listed for $25,000 on realtor.com. Buy a rundown, do your own sweat equity and you have a home. Sounds like your income should be enough for a modest home.

There should be no problem getting a home, unless you are trying for the Taj Mahal as your first house. A modest home would be a great way to start.

Let me know if you have any questions on getting into a house, you can pm me. No, I'm not a realtor or loan officer, I've just bought and sold alot of houses (mine) and I really like real estate and am a big fan of people who want to own, owning.

Good luck either way.

Tony

Old 03-26-2007, 05:36 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,795,360 times
In my opinion, the middle and lower classes are getting clobbered nationally. I know people on both sides of the fence who are in that category and just getting by is hard enough. The more expensive areas just happen to have gotten to the point where it no longer makes sense to live there unless you're loaded. That's why this board is flooded with people from other states thinking that by moving to an area that's cheaper, suddenly their problems will evaporate.

To me, a move to a cheaper area will only really make a significant difference if:

A: you do not have significant debt.

B: You have job prospects lined up

C: the area you choose to live in is truly affordable in your income bracket.

A move to a cheaper area is a very sound decision if:

A: You have actually saved up money. A house that you haven't sold yet doesn't count.

B: Your line of work is either highly available or growing in the area you choose to move to

C: You actually like the area and not just because it is cheeep.

Bottom line, everyone's income, job, living situation, reasoning is different. A move to a cheaper area can be a good/bad decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee