Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2009, 06:27 PM

10 posts, read 22,548 times

Advertisements

So Im from Nebraska, and we dont have this in our schools. So im under the impression (have read online) that the southern states, TN included, Practice this in the schools. Is it really still practiced in TN? Do the kids actually get spanked at school? Im not saying we as parents dont swat our kids on the butt at home now and again, but having a pricipal do it, not so sure im ok with this. Is it just a scare tactic to let the kids know not to misbehave, or is it happening alot? Just wanting to know what the policy is on spanking at school. let me know your experiences. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 07:22 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wantingtogosouth View Post
So Im from Nebraska, and we dont have this in our schools. So im under the impression (have read online) that the southern states, TN included, Practice this in the schools. Is it really still practiced in TN? Do the kids actually get spanked at school? Im not saying we as parents dont swat our kids on the butt at home now and again, but having a pricipal do it, not so sure im ok with this. Is it just a scare tactic to let the kids know not to misbehave, or is it happening alot? Just wanting to know what the policy is on spanking at school. let me know your experiences. Thanks
This varies from district to district here in Tennessee. Once you decide on an area to live, you can ask the school administrators directly about this issue. That way you can discuss it directly with "the horses mouth".

If you want to discuss/debate the topic itself you can do so in the Education forum on this site.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:47 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,321,489 times
I have had my children in 3 East TN school systems over the past 12 years. Some of them have it as a policy, some don't. I have found that the more rural the more likely for this policy to still be in place. However, I was given a form at the begining of each year that not only explained the policy but gave me, as the parent choices. One was "yes", I accept and agree to this policy and you have my permission to enforce when you feel necessary. One was "Yes" I accept this policy but you must contact me to discuss the situation before paddling my child. And the other was "No" you do not have my permission to paddle my child.
So, if I am not mistaken, even the schools that have that policy allow the parents to have control over the use of it.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:48 PM

851 posts, read 2,458,282 times
I think it's a good idea. When I went to school you would get the paddle if you misbehaved. So if you didn't want that, your choice was to behave... (no brainer there) The kids now days are out of control. And are not held accountable for their actions. Maybe if they go into the school knowing what the school policy is they will have move incentive to behave. Hopefully my child would behave and they wouldn't need to enforce the policy. TN has my vote. I wish they would bring it back to FL. Maybe we wouldn't have so many gangs and so much crime.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:25 PM

5,985 posts, read 4,378,901 times
This reminds me of the time years ago when I paid a business related visit to a local high school principal. When I arrived she was in the process of paddling a male student. I told her I thought this type of punishment was no longer permitted and she replied that she only did it when the student volunteered to accept it. And given the choice of either being paddled or being suspended from the football team the student would accept the paddling every time.

Old 03-21-2009, 05:55 PM

17 posts, read 50,478 times
I think its interesting we as parents... can be arrested for physically punishing our children, but the school can paddle them?!?! Strange.

I always vote no paddling when my kids go to a school. Luckily they are never a discipline problem so its never mattered. But I would be doin some paddling myself if someone took it upon themselves to physically punish my child. Of course *that* would be assault though @@

Old 03-21-2009, 08:33 PM

275 posts, read 1,125,290 times
well we have it in white co. and yes I agreed to it.
I had it when I was in school, and only got it once.
(for popping fire crackers behind classroom)
looking back now, I guess I deserved it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee