Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2009, 11:25 AM

7 posts, read 10,200 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Michigan. My wife and I plan on moving to Tennessee around the end of April. We aren’t exactly sure where though.
Lately I’ve been in the researching stage. However, all this web research is wearing me out. So I thought I’d go straight to the professionals.
I’m interested in hearing the side of the seasoned veterans. I’ve read enough technical articles and am onto the stage where I would typically ask someone I know who lives there for advise. However since I don’t know anyone in TN, you’re all the next best thing!

Here’s some of my areas of interest
-Safeness
-Least safe areas / where should I definitely NOT move?
-We’re artists and I’m a musician so an area with a nice art/music scene would be cool (I’m saying this with the knowledge that Nashville specifically is all about music)
-Jobs ( My wife recently became a Certified Nurses Aid/CNA and I have been working as a sales associate. We also both like to volunteer for different non-profits and have been interested in working with the less fortunate)
-Location of businesses to where we would live (apt.)
-We like to be able to walk
-Beautiful nature (for hiking, photography and thinking clearly)

The reasons we are planning this move from Michigan is mostly because of horrible east side economics. This economy is much worse than non-Michiganders realize. (Not to be a jerk but if your town sucks, mine does more. In your face!)
We are currently living in what was at one point the 3rd worse county in the country (yes…the country).
Besides the lack of work I’m also tired of:
-Flat boring nature
-Freezing, gloomy winters that kick my little car in the groin every morning
-And absolutely nothing to do.

We are:
-Newly married
-Have no kids
-Will be looking for either a townhouse or apartment for under $600
-And prefer a warmer climate (something not as important if it turns out the warmest TN climate is in the middle of ghettos surrounded by crackheads...

Any response would be greatly appreciated whether it’s personal advice or a quick link to other helpful sites that could aid me in this process. Thanks!

Last edited by Patrick_Quin; 03-10-2009 at 11:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 11:44 AM

6 posts, read 17,454 times
My family and I moved to West TN from Lansing MI in August of 2006 after both my husband and I lost our jobs. At that time the economy here in TN was much better! The cost of living here is so much cheaper than in MI and remain so, but the job front is bleak. As of late, TN has been steadily rising in terms of the number of people being laid off. I would really research this area more and make sure that this is where you really want to live. You may find yourself regretting it and having to find another state to live in. With that being said I think you would want to check out East TN as they do not seem to be hit as hard as we have here in the Western portion of the state.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:06 PM

Thanks kpell. I have been leaning a bit more towards the eastern side. It's a good thing we've still got some time before the move to really think things through about other options if needed. I appreciate the response!

Old 03-10-2009, 06:07 PM

50 posts, read 140,045 times
Hey Patrick! One site that is very helpful is Retire Tennessee. It has a wealth of information on the various areas of the state. It should prove useful to you. Another good one for demographics, crime stats, climate, etc. is Melissa DATA: Free Lookups. Odds are you'll get some biased inuts on what area(s) are the best. Of course mine would be the Tri-Cities area Good luck to you guys!

Old 03-10-2009, 07:02 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,870,277 times
Michigan native here who spent two years in rural West Tennessee and absolutely hated it. Nothing but flat soybean fields and people who seemed hostile to transplants. Anyone who was interesting and under the age of 30 moved to one of the cities the first chance they got.

I really liked Nashville though. It's at the point where the topography starts to get interesting for outdoor activities, and the country music scene seems to give it a really nice artsy vibe even if you aren't terribly into country music.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:55 AM

Thanks for those links Tri-Cities Native! Tri-cities are looking pretty good right about now.
Yeah beachmouse, I'd definitely like to be somewhere that doesn't remind me of flat Michigan. I'm very interested in Nashville mainly for the music scene as I wouldn't mind joining or starting a band. Though I don't think I'd want to be located directly inside the city. I'd imagine it's too busy inside for me.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:22 AM

Default CNA jobs and the East side

So i'm hearing more and more that the west side is hurting more than the east side, job opening wise. Does anyone know more about the areas suffering the most?
Also my wife will be searching for CNA positions (Certified Nurses Aid) at hospitals, nursinghomes, etc. Anyone have experiance in the nursing field on the east side with job/location advice??

Old 03-13-2009, 09:09 AM

50 posts, read 140,045 times
Patrick,

Here's some links that might prove helpful regarding local CNA jobs:
Johnson City CNA Jobs - Tennessee CNA Job Listings - Search CNA Agencies
Mountain States Health Alliance - (http://msha.jobscience.com/JsrApp/index.cfm?prodApp=cc153c84-af0b-4f17-a32a-75aec3b65159 - broken link)
Job Search

Hope these help!

Old 03-13-2009, 09:35 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,056,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick_Quin View Post
I currently live in Michigan. My wife and I plan on moving to Tennessee around the end of April. We aren’t exactly sure where though.
Lately I’ve been in the researching stage. However, all this web research is wearing me out. So I thought I’d go straight to the professionals.
I’m interested in hearing the side of the seasoned veterans. I’ve read enough technical articles and am onto the stage where I would typically ask someone I know who lives there for advise. However since I don’t know anyone in TN, you’re all the next best thing!

Here’s some of my areas of interest
-Safeness
-Least safe areas / where should I definitely NOT move?
-We’re artists and I’m a musician so an area with a nice art/music scene would be cool (I’m saying this with the knowledge that Nashville specifically is all about music)
-Jobs ( My wife recently became a Certified Nurses Aid/CNA and I have been working as a sales associate. We also both like to volunteer for different non-profits and have been interested in working with the less fortunate)
-Location of businesses to where we would live (apt.)
-We like to be able to walk
-Beautiful nature (for hiking, photography and thinking clearly)

The reasons we are planning this move from Michigan is mostly because of horrible east side economics. This economy is much worse than non-Michiganders realize. (Not to be a jerk but if your town sucks, mine does more. In your face!)
We are currently living in what was at one point the 3rd worse county in the country (yes…the country).
Besides the lack of work I’m also tired of:
-Flat boring nature
-Freezing, gloomy winters that kick my little car in the groin every morning
-And absolutely nothing to do.

We are:
-Newly married
-Have no kids
-Will be looking for either a townhouse or apartment for under $600
-And prefer a warmer climate (something not as important if it turns out the warmest TN climate is in the middle of ghettos surrounded by crackheads...

Any response would be greatly appreciated whether it’s personal advice or a quick link to other helpful sites that could aid me in this process. Thanks!
Under $600 and safe? Good luck.

Old 03-13-2009, 06:11 PM

Thanks again T-CN! You prove to be very helpful! My wife greatly appreciates the links.
And LauraC it may sound rediculous but we've been living in a large apartment complex for a year now that happens to be one of the safest places I've ever lived. Great neighbors, great workers. The price? $535. I win!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee