Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 01:54 PM

5 posts, read 517,494 times

Advertisements

I hope this is the right place for this. I have been unable to get a hold of the DMV to get this straightened out. Maybe someone here has some insight into this. Hopefully someone here works for the DMV

Ok here is the deal. I just came back to TN after being homeless in Louisiana for a few years. I found my dad and step mom and am now living with them. I am trying to get a TN ID only card. I do not have proof of residency. I do have proof of identity however. I have no way of getting any bills in my name to prove where I live. Can anyone tell me what I need to do? Again I have contacted the dmv through email and phone and have yet to be able to talk to anyone. Their phones are always busy. and I have received no email responses. Thanks in advance for any help.

John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 02:01 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,347,702 times
Do you have a checking account? I had to show 2 or 4 pieces of mail with a Tn. address on it. Stop in to your local DMV and ask what you need to get a ID.
Good luck
Pam

Old 01-05-2009, 02:24 PM

No I do not have a checking account. I don't have photo id to open a checking account. I need this bad and like I said have had no luck getting in contact with anyone at the DMV. this is so frustrating. thanks for the help though

Old 01-05-2009, 02:26 PM

21 posts, read 455,747 times
Just went through this with my son. Easiest way to prove residency is to take your birth certificate, SS card to the town clerks office and register to vote. Most states will accept a voter's registration card as proff of residency. The Board of Canvasers application only asked for SS Number if you did not have picture ID. We live in a small town, so we didn't even have to do anything but walk in with my son and they took my word for it. Hope this helps.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:35 PM

thanks for the help PLCRI. After an extensive search of the TN dept of Safety I found this. Can someone help me figure this out. I bolded the part that I need help understanding

To prove Tennessee residency, applicants must provide the following:

Two Documents from List Documents must show residence address used on application and your name or the name of your spouse. Proof of relationship will be required unless you are using the spouse’s Tennessee Driver License number and it has the same last name and address as the applicant.[*] If the applicant is a minor child or adult child still residing with parents, proof of relationship is also required with the name of the parent or legal guardian.

Examples showing residence address used on application and your name, or name of your parent, guardian or spouse

Ok if I'm reading this right I can have proof of residency by my dad proving where he lives. I guess lol.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:36 PM

1,697 posts, read 6,803,448 times
As an adult living w/ your parent(s), it sounds like should be able to get an ID card if you provide proof of your relationship along w/ the other required documentation:

Identification License

Proof of Tennessee Residency

Good luck, John!

Old 01-05-2009, 02:47 PM

I looked at the web site you referenced. If you have two items from list A, you should be all set. The two that look the easiest to obtain IMO are to get your voter's registration card (which is easy to do), and have your parents write a rental agreement or reciept. The two items I am referring to are in list A.

Current rental/Mortgage contract or receipt including deed of sale for property.

and

Current Tennessee voter registration

Old 01-05-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamoshika View Post
As an adult living w/ your parent(s), it sounds like should be able to get an ID card if you provide proof of your relationship along w/ the other required documentation:

Identification License

Proof of Tennessee Residency

Good luck, John!

Thanks for that. I tried pasting what the link said but it didn't paste right. thanks for putting up the links. i think this is my best bet. It is funny how a homeless man can have such problems getting back into the system without much proof of anything lol. Guess I better not get down on my luck again haha

Old 01-05-2009, 03:00 PM

papajohn, Just wanted to wish you luck starting over. Many people are just one paycheck away from where you are today. I hope everything works out for you!

Old 01-13-2009, 03:36 PM

1,830 posts, read 5,348,325 times
You're going to need a picture ID to get on the plane, so you do need to get this done.

The posted link says, under the "Two documents from list A" :
Quote:
Examples showing residence address used on application and your name, or name of your parent, guardian or spouse.
So all you need to do is take 2 documents showing your parent's name, like their phone and electric bills. Plus your Social Security number and a copy of your birth certificate. If your father doesn't have a copy of your birth certificate handy, you will need to order one as quickly as possible. That is usually done through the Department of Health for whatever state you were born in. For instance, here's where you'd go for Tennessee: Tennessee Department of Health: Vital Records You will need to have your dad order it, because a copy of photo id is required. (you really are in a Catch-22 with all this!)

But anyway, with your dad's help you should be able to get everything you need. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee