Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 06:54 PM

16 posts, read 86,472 times

Advertisements

Hi! Looking for a "leave it to beaver" style neighborhood or a quiet area. Crazy I know but we like stress free living. We like walks, bike riding, streams, waterfalls, hikes, wilderness settings. My husband has Postal service experience and I work for UPS. This is important to only travel 30 to 40 minitues for work. Any ideas in TN for us. Must be in the mountains of course. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2007, 06:58 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
I would start with where you can transfer your job to and work from there. You would hate to have your heart set on a town and then find out you can't get a transfer.

Old 03-01-2007, 07:36 PM

My husband can do any work....Our family life is important. He is in the Military also. I guess I need to do some research on jobs first. We visit TN every year for vaction. I just wanted some ideas to start my research for jobs. Can you name any at all? Thanks I need a starting point. I have never looked around at neighborhoods. we just stay in a retal cabin. So no Idea which direction to go...as for a living in TN...

Old 03-01-2007, 07:43 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Oh, okay. Will you be staying with UPS?

Old 03-01-2007, 07:52 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,876,105 times
Thumbs up Soddy-Daisy,Cumberland Trail

W ; Hello welcome to forum,I know I have your target zone right here in Soddy_Daisy,(A place as Unique as its name), motto on the highway signs. Just out yesterday 4 plus hours on the trail / creek gorges. 305 mile linear state park hike complex almost built, web at "CumberlandTrail.org" . Look up maps, etc for Soddy gorge and Possum gorge. .. Many kayak / canoe coves, creeks here. Outdoor activities with the city. . Private message if you wish. This whole rt #27 valley just paradise... You will think you are out in Colorado.
Plenty of competitions to tire you out.... More pics at web albums....
. . Viet .. vet . here...........................[IMG][/IMG]

Old 03-01-2007, 08:09 PM

630 posts, read 2,432,386 times
Default USPS transfer vs swaps

First off, you'll need to go to the postal reassign website and register.

https://ereassign.usps.com/ereassign...me/welcome.pge

Your husband will need his employee id number, and his usps pin.
He can talk to the shop steward if he doesn't have a pin number.

The next step would be to find out information about the area that you are interested in, and possibly visit. Go talk to the Postmaster and see what he/she has to say about their office, whether or not they need anyone.

Or, you can type up a swap letter, do some research, and send the letter out to post offices within the area that you want to move to.
Depending on how many years your husband has in service, you may want to go the swap route. But, you will need someone to swap with.
If you transfer, your husband will lose his seniority bid number, and will basically be put wherever they want him as a PTF (part time flexible).
They won't be able to guarantee him full time hours.
He will have to build up his bid number again, and eventually will be able to bid a full time job.

Now, if you swap with someone, it makes it so much easier.
However, they will take the lower seniority, and both will have to be at that level, so, if your husband has more seniority, he would have to take the lower number when he swapped.

We were very, very fortunate to find someone to swap with when we moved to Minnesota.
My husband had the better end of the deal. He left an office in Idaho with a bid number of 62, and came to the office in Minnesota with a bid number of 6.
He is now the number one clerk in the office. There is a carrier that has six more months in senority than him, but, he's in another craft.

Now, if he decide to transfer when we make our move, he will be at the bottom, and probably on the night shift.
Depending on whether or not he switches crafts.
He's been thinking of switching to carrier.
If he comes into an office where they really need carriers, he could be a sub for awhile and would get a lot of hours. But, he would still have to wait it out for a route.

If you need any help getting your stuff started just send me over a PM.
It's really not that hard to get going on the transfer or swap.

We'll be down there at the end of this month.
My husband will be talking to the Postmasters at several offices to see what is available.
Then, depending on the time limit, it could take us a month, or it could take six.... it all depends on the openings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilderness View Post
Hi! Looking for a "leave it to beaver" style neighborhood or a quiet area. Crazy I know but we like stress free living. We like walks, bike riding, streams, waterfalls, hikes, wilderness settings. My husband has Postal service experience and I work for UPS. This is important to only travel 30 to 40 minitues for work. Any ideas in TN for us. Must be in the mountains of course. Thanks!

Old 03-01-2007, 09:46 PM

What would be a quiet place to live, with a moderate distance for a commute to nashville. He found some prospect jobs there. Would any of the places I list be close: Cookeville, Washington Co, Oak Ridge, Church Hill, Kingsport, Johnson City, Mount Carmel, Church hill, Albemarle Co., Gray, Bradley Co., Clarksville. Bartlett, Blountville, Fredricksburg. How many miles to Nashville?

If you know anything about these areas as far as nearness to Nashville or about the "leave it to beaver" living please comment. Thanks. I am tring to narrow my search down if anyone has lived in these places.

Old 03-01-2007, 10:02 PM

just depends what my husband finds. he wants to go to Medical school also. We have a lot of things in the fire. Military unit to find, jobs, schools, home....So I am not sure how all this will start out.....Home site would be nice to find...and maybe see what is available for work and then if nothing just find a differant home site. It is a lot of work to move. I moved to WV 12 years ago from MS. So I just am starting with neighborhoods and see where it leads me. I appriciate any help....Thanks

Old 03-01-2007, 10:08 PM

408 posts, read 1,978,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilderness View Post
What would be a quiet place to live, with a moderate distance for a commute to nashville. He found some prospect jobs there. Would any of the places I list be close: Cookeville, Washington Co, Oak Ridge, Church Hill, Kingsport, Johnson City, Mount Carmel, Church hill, Albemarle Co., Gray, Bradley Co., Clarksville. Bartlett, Blountville, Fredricksburg. How many miles to Nashville?

If you know anything about these areas as far as nearness to Nashville or about the "leave it to beaver" living please comment. Thanks. I am tring to narrow my search down if anyone has lived in these places.
On that list Clarksville is the only one near Nashville. It's about 45 minutes North of Nashville. Maybe outside Clarksville you could find what you are looking for. You also wouldn't be near the Mountains either.
The other locations are about an hour or more to five hours from Nashville. Though I'm not sure where Albemarle Co. and Fredricksburg are.

Old 03-01-2007, 10:14 PM

Do you know any rural areas surrouning Nashville? With no more then a 30 minute commute? No crime counry living...I will get the map out....Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee