Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 09:03 PM

854 posts, read 1,701,942 times

Advertisements

We're looking into retirement areas in a small town, low crime, lakes close by to fish, affordable housing, near the mountains and NOT HIGH humidity. I read about Maryville as a possibility. What areas and small towns do you recommend? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2008, 10:19 PM

634 posts, read 1,419,536 times
NOT HIGH humidity, anywhere in TN?

Good luck

There are some cheap area's to live in with nice hills near lakes ( or at least the lake here ). Taxes on our 5 year old 4 bedroom and 11 acres is only 330.00 a year, and car tags are only 24.00 a year also.No inspections, no emissions testing and no wheel taxes here either.Pretty cheap living, but living here since 74, I can tell you it is humid. I remember going to Texas and working a job there during July and Aug, and in Sept when I retured home in TN, I sweat my but off here in 10 degree cooler temps than Texas was when I left there not sweating. Low to mid 90's here you'll sweat outside, but summer before last it stayed over 100 for weeks hitting 108 one day breaking a record in our county.Talk about hot,add our humitity to that and you'll smother. While working in TX in temps exceeding ours in the late 80's, it seemed like a dry heat 'to me' and I didn't sweat a lick there after being used to our TN sticky kinda heat. Dad tells me each summer that TN humid heat ain't nothing to complain about as he was raised in FL.

If it's more humid down yonder, you can bet I'll just stay up here in TN

Last edited by RS-1080; 11-29-2008 at 10:39 PM..

Old 11-30-2008, 01:13 AM

854 posts, read 1,701,942 times
Thanks. What about the mountain areas like Maryville? High humidity also?

Old 11-30-2008, 06:16 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,206,471 times
You can go to the main City-Data page and look up weather information for most towns, along with all sorts of other information.

Here's the page for Maryville: https://www.city-data.com/city/Maryville-Tennessee.html

Old 11-30-2008, 10:32 AM

22 posts, read 176,249 times
Honestly, I think it's relative to your own tolerance level for humidity. Compared to where we used to live (MD/VA/DC region) it seems as though there is no humidity. However, many of the "locals" continuously comment on how humid it is here.

Old 11-30-2008, 02:29 PM

1,697 posts, read 6,803,955 times
IMO, much of NE Tennessee offers most if not all of what you're looking for.

RE: humidity, it's really the dew point that matters more in terms of comfort. Here are the average (mean) July & August temps and dew points for three places over the past three years:

La Crosse, WI: temp. 73, dew point 63

Tri-Cities, TN: temp. 75, dew point 63

Maryville, TN: temp. 79, dew point 66

Old 11-30-2008, 02:34 PM

37,796 posts, read 40,994,120 times
Default Hot and Humid Summers

Compared to what you (coming from the North) are probably used to it's very hot and humid here in the summer. I live in Oak Ridge which is slightly north and west of Knoxville. My favorite time here is mid-October through mid-May for being outdoors for long periods of time.

Between May 15 - October 15, I go outside for shorter periods of time during the day because the humidity just zaps you.

If you go to the Maryville page on City Data:

https://www.city-data.com/city/Maryville-Tennessee.html

there is a humidity chart (scroll down).

Do you consider Maryville to be a small town with a population of 27,600? It's 15.9 square miles with a population density of 1681 people per square mile. City Data categorizes any place with a population of more than 6,000 as a bigger town.

Old 11-30-2008, 03:00 PM

2,700 posts, read 3,681,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
We're looking into retirement areas in a small town, low crime, lakes close by to fish, affordable housing, near the mountains and NOT HIGH humidity. I read about Maryville as a possibility. What areas and small towns do you recommend? Thanks.
We are originally from WI but have lived in the humidity capital of the US--inland Central FL for 30+ years. I feel that residency allows me to speak from experience--

From our 5-week experience in Maryville during July and August, I can tell you that TN humidity doesn't hold a candle to humidity in the Orlando area. Yes, the mornings are steamy--hence, Smoky Mountains' name--but by 9 or 10 the humidity goes back to 'normal' and wha la--gorgeous weather.

Old 11-30-2008, 03:14 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,659,902 times
I've been to Wisconsin in August (Cedar Lake area) and I thought the humidy was worse than Knoxville area. It was a lot hotter, especially at night.
I moved to Knoxville from south Georgia and I also lived in Washington, D.C. for most of my life. I find the humidity in Knoxville to be non-existent compared to both of those places. You don't start dripping as soon as you walk outside.
For most of the summer, Knoxville, Maryville and surrounding areas get a nice breeze off the mountains starting about 3 in the afternoon.
East Tennessee's climate in general is very agreeable. It doesn't stay too hot for long or too cold for long but you do have four real seasons.

Old 11-30-2008, 05:24 PM

451 posts, read 1,371,470 times
Tims Ford Lake down in southern middle TN is nice... very near mountains and is about as "un-humid" (lol) as anywhere else in the state. The housing is affordable also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee