Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 08:46 AM

196 posts, read 640,740 times

Advertisements

I spent some time in GA and there were plenty of alligators yet I here that TN has none? Is that true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 08:56 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,508,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lutarian View Post
I spent some time in GA and there were plenty of alligators yet I here that TN has none? Is that true?
That is correct. There was one found recently but it was determined to have been imported by someone. It was dealt with expeditiously and is no longer loose. They are not native and that I know of, are not in residence.

Old 08-10-2008, 01:46 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,236,460 times
I imagine that if there were any "wild" alligators in Tennessee, they would probably be confined to southwestern Tennessee. About gators in Georgia, I imagine northern GA has little if any, especially northeast Georgia. Southern Georgia for sure has them. I also know that coastal North Carolina has themm.. at least southeast NC. I have seen them.

I have not seen any here in northeast Tennessee, but strangely there was a report of an alligator found in a pond about 50 miles northeast of here up into Marion Virginia- which is even a cooler area than here... they are about 700 ft. higher in elevation.

I did not get the details, nor do I know how long it was there, or if its still there. I highly doubt it would survive the coolish winters up there. Lows in the 20s in the winter are not uncommon up there.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:49 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,895,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
I imagine that if there were any "wild" alligators in Tennessee, they would probably be confined to southwestern Tennessee. About gators in Georgia, I imagine northern GA has little if any, especially northeast Georgia. Southern Georgia for sure has them.
Southeastern Georgia has them as "native" to the area. North Georgia (Atlanta and above, or E/W of the city) does not have gators as native, howeverrrrrrr.... last year in the Chattahoochee River (http://www.11alive.com/news/article_news.aspx?storyid=98465 - broken link), an 8 ft gator enjoyed watching local fishermen fish. He was fat and apparently happy, but due to his size, apparently had survived this far North for some time (or was dumped here). He was NOT by the way, caught. Also, two years ago a man heard the rumble/growl of a gator in a large creek behind his yard, and the next day news crews found tracks for it, and *babies*, in the creek clay. On a more recent note, there is now a 4ft gator in Lake Lanier (http://www.wsbtv.com/news/17084297/detail.html - broken link)in NE metro Atlanta, but he/she is definately believed to have been a pet that was turned loose. They aren't trying to catch it because due to it's size it's not considered a threat to people.

I've never heard of any "large" gators in Tennessee whether they be pets turned loose or mutants who are surviving in the colder months there (my sister lives there and keeps up on stuff like that).

Old 08-11-2008, 02:48 PM

451 posts, read 1,372,392 times
There is a fellow who raises exotic animals in our county. One year an alligator got loose from his farm and travelled to a nearby home. The elderly lady who lived there stepped over what she thought was a log in her driveway and asked her husband who was inside why there was a log in their driveway. He went out to check and discovered the alligator. He was pretty sure where it had come from, & called the man with the exotics who came to remove it quickly. The same alligator had once made a previous escape and wandered to a nearby pine grove. A fellow hired to mow in the grove discovered him and high-tailed it out of there.... leaving his mower behind.

Those are the only 2 instances of alligator sightings i know of in this area.... thank goodness!!

Old 08-11-2008, 03:06 PM

What location do you live in JoAnn5?

Old 08-11-2008, 03:11 PM

451 posts, read 1,372,392 times
Southern Middle TN

Old 08-12-2008, 09:54 PM

1,065 posts, read 3,870,267 times
Here is an actual picture of an alligator.
Attached Thumbnails
Alligators-gator.jpg  

Old 08-12-2008, 11:01 PM

southern middle tn!...ok...I am freaked out now...I love water sports and was thinking of moving to the Cookeville area but if there is any possibility of a gator in the water I will not step foot in it at all...

Old 08-12-2008, 11:11 PM

13,355 posts, read 39,979,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lutarian View Post
southern middle tn!...ok...I am freaked out now...I love water sports and was thinking of moving to the Cookeville area but if there is any possibility of a gator in the water I will not step foot in it at all...
Cookeville is not in southern Middle Tennessee. You have nothing to worry about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee