Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 09:19 AM

1,775 posts, read 8,098,829 times

Advertisements

I agree with JMT. We're doing as much research as possible before we make the big move. Last thing i'm worried about is a grocery store. We're more concerned with housing and schools. And to top it off, you moved to Gatlinburg the tourist trap. Before you make a shift to another part of TN, maybe look into it a bit more or even visit the area before you decide. Hope it works out for you.

Old 01-19-2007, 09:20 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,409,608 times
And visit, socialize, go to the bars and the diners...

And be thankful!! You're renting, and didn't buy!

We've visited knoxville on several occasions and will be spending a week in the area we're interested in (or areas, as the case may be) this spring.

Old 01-19-2007, 09:24 AM

86 posts, read 414,552 times
hiknapster:

You pretty much summed it up. When I really think about it, it's probably the frustration that is getting to me. I didn't say I didn't like the laid back culture, I just said it was a shock to me. It's what I meant to say anyway.

I'm pretty surprised at how many people missed in my first post "I DO LIKE TN". I do, I just might be in the wrong place. And like I said above, my husband got a great job in Gatlinburg, and being from a depressed state, it's hard to think that maybe he could get a different one that is as great elsewhere. AND, we also have two small children to factor into this equation, also. It's probably tougher on them, than us!

Old 01-19-2007, 09:26 AM

daniellefort:

I think you agree with me, not JMT. I was the one that said while researching a relocation, the last thing I'm worried about is a grocery store.
It is housing and schools I researched.

Old 01-19-2007, 09:26 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,319,846 times
OK, OK, everyone, easy up on Amy, she did some research and did what she thought was right at the time, no one can criticize her for that. She is just frustrated as she has the right to be in her situation. Lets try helping her out with her situation as it stands now, not before she moved and the "coulda shoulda's" Anyone one else have some advice for her? Amy, tell us more of exactly what you are looking for besides a 120k house within a good commute time to Gatlinburg? What County is your sons school in?

Old 01-19-2007, 09:27 AM

1,775 posts, read 8,098,829 times
Well i agree with both of you in some ways really. I just hope it gets better for you. But on the other hand, you live in the most beutiful area i've ever visited in TN.

Old 01-19-2007, 09:37 AM

MBMOUSE:

Thank you...I was quite surprised I got turned on! LOL

I know I want to be by a bigger town. (That's why Gatlinburg, for work, seemed great...close to Knoxville!) I don't have to have a $120,000 house....I just don't want to pay $165,000 for a dump or a trailer. I'd like my sons school to be relatively close to work (within 15 min). Now, he is in the school very close to our work which is great, but I hate that I have to drive him 40 min to school from home every morning. We work and live in Sevier county and have explored every town in Sevier, and yes, it's a tourist town, so it's more $. But, if I were to move into Blount County...the one right next door, the houses are better priced, but my son cannot attend school in Sevier County. Not to mention, the drive to work has now increased.

GOD, it does seem like I was an idiot to move here......but I did do my research and I just got some shocks, I guess once I got here. WHen I read what I wrote just now, it seems very obvious that I am not in the right part of TN. But, again, it's not just me that can "Up and move". I have a husband and 2 small children to consider.....I can't be a selfish brat about this.

Old 01-19-2007, 09:46 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
A&E's Mom:

Let's start at the beginning.

Produce. Maryville has a farmer's market on Saturday mornings. That will probably start at the beginning of May. Knoxville has one, too. I've been to the Knoxville and Oak Ridge ones, and they are very small, but it's something.

Culture shock. What you are going to have to do is while waiting in a line, say at the grocery store, turn to your neighbors and start talking. I am very good at this, because I am naturally chatty (I know, this comes as a great shock to y'all).

A great place to start is you turn to the person next to you and say, "Boy, I can't believe the price of these tomatoes..."

This tactic will work 95 percent of the time.

I've noticed that locals are not great at making eye contact at first. Just go up to them and talk. You will be amazed. They suddenly turn into talking machines. Be forewarned, though. I did this the other day in the Ingle's parking lot. I asked an older gentleman in overalls how he liked his Saturn as I stood next to mine. Fifteen minutes later, after talking about everything possible, I was freezing my butt off!

I would stay out of the Gatlinburg area for a place to live. Looking into what MB said, and also try Townsend, Walland, Maryville and Seymour. Strawberry Plains could be perfect for you.

I hope I'm making you laugh. I know it is a feeble attempt, but I want to cheer you up!

Old 01-19-2007, 09:50 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,319,846 times
Suggestion. Check to just the outskirts of Sevier county and see if there are houses there that you like, but before you buy, ask the school where your son goes now if he can still attend there even if you are just over the county line. I have found that if you live closer miles wise to one school, even if it is in another county, they will allow your child to continue attending that school. There might be a yearly fee associated with it due to tax rates, but it can't hurt to ask, you might be surprised.

Old 01-19-2007, 09:50 AM

630 posts, read 2,432,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyevansmom View Post
MBMOUSE:

GOD, it does seem like I was an idiot to move here......but I did do my research and I just got some shocks, I guess once I got here. WHen I read what I wrote just now, it seems very obvious that I am not in the right part of TN. But, again, it's not just me that can "Up and move". I have a husband and 2 small children to consider.....I can't be a selfish brat about this.
No, you are not an idiot.
You are just frustrated.
You and your husband did what was right for the family.
Now, you just have to find your perfect niche.

Give it a little time.

Don't be discouraged by negative comments.
I don't think they really meant to "come down on you."
It's kind of like stern parent advice.

You're already here, you've researched, and did everything that you could before hand.
So, now, just get out and meet people.
Keep looking for a place to live, if you want your child to be in a certain school, then, look in that area.
You never know, a home might open up tomorrow, and you might be the first one to see it.
Keep checking the internet, go to realtracs, can't put the url down here, but, if you add a .com to it, you can go right to the info.

and BREATHE....

That's what people tell me when I get stressed.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee