Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 02:59 PM

36,576 posts, read 30,907,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I was outside Jamestown today and a guy was saying he has seen a few snakes that have crossbred. He has a 4 foot 1/2 copperhead and 1/2 timber rattler and have see copperhead/black snake combos....
Did he see a hoop snake rolling down the hill too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 03:03 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,421,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Did he see a hoop snake rolling down the hill too.
LMBO

No kidding, right?

Old 06-04-2008, 03:06 PM

24,773 posts, read 28,548,112 times
Hogzilla..... check this out......

Boy Bags Wild Hog Bigger Than 'Hogzilla'

Old 06-04-2008, 03:31 PM

462 posts, read 1,878,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Hope you nipped that in the bud. You might have a hogzilla running lose on your farm!
All that is left of the bore. But, alas, there is even less of Petunia. We changed her into sausage and ham.
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 06-04-2008, 04:52 PM

176 posts, read 800,258 times
Default Putting Snakebites in Perspective

At the outset, let me say I dislike snakes. I am against showing kids in school how nice snakes are because 1)even non-venomous snakes can give you a bad bite and 2)showing how "nice" snakes are will encourage someone to eventually pick up a venomous one.

That said, your chances of dying in the US from lightning are about five times your chance of ending up in the morgue from a snake. Approximately 75 people die in the US from lightning each year while about 14 die from snakebite.

I asked a nurse friend of ours who works in a local hospital how often she sees a snakebite victim and she said, "Never". Use common sense; the snake doesn't want to meet you either. Does it happen? Sure, but by avoiding obvious dangers (picking up logs, putting your hand into fissures, etc.) you'll be OK. A bite very, very rarely means death in the US; Australia, Africa, Asia, etc. are another matter.

Old 06-04-2008, 05:30 PM

1,697 posts, read 6,810,621 times
mrradio is correct that fears of potential snakebite are way overblown, though it's certainly wise to exercise caution in some situations where one might encounter a venomous species.

Just to allay any concerns over venomous snakes in E. Tenn., there are only two species here: timber rattlesnakes & Northern copperheads. Cottonmouths (often called "water moccasins") are not found anywhere in East Tenn., though some locals will vehemently disagree and insist they've seen many. Most folks, however, don't know the difference between a cottonmouth and a harmless water snake.

Timber rattlers are very reclusive and shy snakes, and while copperheads deliver the most bites of all venomous TN snakes, that's only because they're the most common venomous species. Given the choice of biting someone or just slithering away, they'd much rather do the latter. I've also seen folks mistake both corn snakes and juvenile black rat snakes for copperheads, and sadly even killing them "just in case" they were dangerous.

Also, FWIW, a poison is something that's ingested while a venom is injected. So unless you milk a snake and drink its venom, it's much more accurate to refer to "poisonous" snakes as venomous.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:42 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,413,772 times
True enough, I've been bitten by the big guy (when he was little) albeit by accident...and it was unpleasant indeed. They have sharp little teeth in many rows, that face inward so to get a finger out, you sort of have to push it in further (like with a fishhook sort of). Annoying and painful but certainly not dangerous.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:04 PM

Here's the little guy, a year or so ago. It was bath time, which he hates. Just for perspective, this shower enclosure is about 6x4 feet; he's around 13 or 14 feet long now, and nearly 100 lbs.

When we got him he was a little over a foot long, and just adorable!

Old 06-04-2008, 08:20 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,078,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post

Here's the little guy, a year or so ago. It was bath time, which he hates. Just for perspective, this shower enclosure is about 6x4 feet; he's around 13 or 14 feet long now, and nearly 100 lbs.

When we got him he was a little over a foot long, and just adorable!
Can't see him, maybe he's under my desk...nope not there either.....

Old 06-04-2008, 08:28 PM

seriously? It works when I click...

And that thing under your desk? It's not a snake. Put it away before it scares someone.

Haven't we been here before, Bones?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee