Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2023, 06:17 PM

14 posts, read 16,884 times

Advertisements

me and my wife are looking for to move to Tenn, but i really have no idea where, as i've really only been to Gatlinburg and the surrounding areas. i asked almost the same question about five years ago, but now it's a real possibility of it happening.

i'm a hot rod / muscle car / truck guy, love the water, nightlife isn't a big priority, we are not religious at all (if it makes any difference). we are in our mid 50's and access to doctors is getting higher on the list. i don't like big(er) citys, rather be in a more rural setting where i could be on 1/2-1 acre of land so i can have a free standing garage / work shop, but we don't need a big house, 1200-1500 sf is plenty. we are conservatives. if anyone has any thoughts i'd appreciate it. if you guys need more info, just ask. thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2023, 06:53 PM

143 posts, read 220,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hate living in florida View Post
me and my wife are looking for to move to Tenn, but i really have no idea where, as i've really only been to Gatlinburg and the surrounding areas. i asked almost the same question about five years ago, but now it's a real possibility of it happening.

i'm a hot rod / muscle car / truck guy, love the water, nightlife isn't a big priority, we are not religious at all (if it makes any difference). we are in our mid 50's and access to doctors is getting higher on the list. i don't like big(er) citys, rather be in a more rural setting where i could be on 1/2-1 acre of land so i can have a free standing garage / work shop, but we don't need a big house, 1200-1500 sf is plenty. we are conservatives. if anyone has any thoughts i'd appreciate it. if you guys need more info, just ask. thanks in advance.
You might consider Elizabethton which is about 2.5 hours northeast of Gatlinburg. They have a car club and cruise-ins downtown on Saturday evenings from May through October. There's also a motorcycle club. Truly a car/truck/motorcycle town.

Medical care is available in town with a local hospital and multi-care clinic but there's also Johnson City which is about 25 minutes away. I would recommend looking just outside the city limits for better prices and lower taxes.

Old 09-08-2023, 07:29 PM

thank you, appreciate the information

Old 09-08-2023, 09:01 PM

577 posts, read 560,509 times
Douglas Lake looks like a good area, between Knoxville and Gatlinburg. There are towns all around there and they are just 30 to 45 miles from Knoxville.

Not too far from there is Cherokee Reservoir near Morristown which is sizable enough to have solid medical care.

In southwestern Tennessee is the very nice Pickwick Lake, in which case I would probably live in quaint Iuka, Mississippi. In that case the nearest hospitals would be in Corinth and Tupelo, Mississippi.

You could also consider areas near Nashville's Percy Priest Reservoir, such as near Lebanon, Tennessee which is 30 miles outside Nashville.

The Cookeville, Tennessee area is popular with some pretty hills and mountains nearby. And Cookeville has a university and is big enough to have strong medical care.

Also the Winchester, Tennessee area, which is between Nashville and Chattanooga, has pretty views of the nearby Cumberland mountains. Atop those mountains is Monteagle, Tennessee which is about 45 miles from Chattanooga.

And as the other poster mentioned, the Johnson City/ Elizabethton area is beautifully located next to the mountains.

Old 09-09-2023, 04:28 PM

another question, will $200k-250k buy something with a little land out of the bigger citys? i own my home outright in florida, so when we decide on a place to settle, we'll get a mortgage on the new place and we can take our time moving and pay off the new note when our home here sells.

appreciate the info from you guys.

Old 09-10-2023, 08:41 AM

3,036 posts, read 3,304,919 times
Quote:

As a car guy one place to visit is the Lane Motor Museum. Near the airport.

https://www.lanemotormuseum.org/

Old 09-10-2023, 11:20 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
If either of you need a job, you should find that first and then ask about surrounding towns where you might want to live.

Old 09-10-2023, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
If either of you need a job, you should find that first and then ask about surrounding towns where you might want to live.
we've talked about this, and we will need to work, but being that we won't have a mortgage will defiantly help with where we can work.

Old 09-10-2023, 05:20 PM
JRR

8,159 posts, read 5,651,590 times
Quote:
another question, will $200k-250k buy something with a little land out of the bigger citys? i own my home outright in florida, so when we decide on a place to settle, we'll get a mortgage on the new place and we can take our time moving and pay off the new note when our home here sells.

appreciate the info from you guys.
I would think that you might have to go pretty rural to find something in the $200k-$250k price range. Even around Cookeville that would not buy much of anything with a bit of land.

Old 09-10-2023, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
I would think that you might have to go pretty rural to find something in the $200k-$250k price range. Even around Cookeville that would not buy much of anything with a bit of land.
thanks. just to be clear, by a little i mean 1/2-1 acre ( that's a lot to me, lol)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee