Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2023, 09:30 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,999,373 times

Advertisements

I've lived in the Memphis area my entire life....74 years and counting! Due to the crime situation here I'm considering leaving the area. I've been doing a LOT of searching on Zillow to get an idea of home prices in several different areas, and it appears that Jackson prices are more comparable to where I live now (Cordova) than other places in TN that I've considered (Cookeville and Murfreesboro, for example.

Is there a reason why Jackson homes seem to be well priced? Is it just because of a lack of high paying jobs in the area? Being retired, that really isn't a factor for me - but being in a safe area is a priority. I'm not getting any younger and, if I die before my wife of 52 years I want to be sure she is in a safe and secure place.

I love where I live now - except for the fear of increasing crime. I have all the restaurants, shopping, medical care, etc. within 10-15 minutes of home. My small neighborhood is safe so far...but I don't want to risk staying here until it's too late.

On he same subject, what are the areas in Jackson that are best to avoid. I'll probably be looking in the $300-$350K range.

Thanks in advance.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2023, 08:56 AM

472 posts, read 346,208 times
Not that it's exactly what you asked but Arlington and Lakeland are fairly safe (safer than Cordova, as far as I know). Not sure if they are cheaper. Piperton and Rossville would be similarly priced but have way less shopping/ are further away from facilities and you'd need to go to Collierville for most things. Horn Lake also might fit, but less developed as well.

Jackson is fine, and near Union is safer. Jackson has its crime issues, I think the city proper would be comparable to Cordova, maybe slightly worse.

I could be wrong on these though!

Old 06-05-2023, 06:01 PM

506 posts, read 1,474,414 times
I agree with the above post. I don't have the statistics, but my opinion is that Jackson is similar to Cordova, if not worse for crime.

Safety + close to chain amenities with a 300-350k budget somewhat near Memphis seems like DeSoto County would be what you are looking for--maybe Olive Branch or Hernando.

Other than that, you are going to probably need to find a different geographic area to retire to.

Old 06-06-2023, 10:00 AM

Well, I actually retired 9 years ago so that ship already sailed

I've looked at other areas and Cookeville seems to be the best fit. I've also looked at Fairhope AL, Crestview FL and a few other areas - but I prefer to remain in Tennessee. Mississippi has never had any appeal for me.

Old 06-06-2023, 12:56 PM

7,538 posts, read 17,221,758 times
Ever looked at Johnson City, Kingsport or Bristol? If you like Cookeville you might also like these towns. Johnson City has the most diverse base (due to ETSU) and typically gets the newer retail opportunities first, although Bristol has a new mega development on the freeway that brings in new brands. The big downside (for you potentially) is the quality and access of medical care is inferior compared to Cookeville (with its proximity to Nashville).

Old 06-07-2023, 09:52 AM

367 posts, read 584,518 times
If you are going to uproot and move I would not consider Jackson. It has more crime problems then it should for a city its size and I could see it getting worse. I would look at Murfreesboro first and Cookeville second.

Old 06-07-2023, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Ever looked at Johnson City, Kingsport or Bristol? If you like Cookeville you might also like these towns. Johnson City has the most diverse base (due to ETSU) and typically gets the newer retail opportunities first, although Bristol has a new mega development on the freeway that brings in new brands. The big downside (for you potentially) is the quality and access of medical care is inferior compared to Cookeville (with its proximity to Nashville).
The medical care situation is a primary consideration for both me and my wife. That has somewhat limited the places in which we would be interested.

Another issue for us is the distance from here to the JC/Bristol area. We have two sons - each with one of our grandchildren. Until late 2021 both were within a few minutes of where we now live. One just a few blocks away here in Cordova, the other in Arlington. The latter son move to Niceville FL in late 2021. At least we still have one close by. Moving to the far northeast corner of TN would put us hours from him...and even further from the one in FL.

At this point I'd say we're likely to stay put. As for the distance, a big consideration for me is this: what if we relocated to JC...and then I died within a couple of years? That would leave my wife a 7-9 hour drive from any family.

Old 06-07-2023, 02:11 PM

7,538 posts, read 17,221,758 times
Sure, that makes sense. I hope you find the situation that works out for you both!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee