Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2023, 02:39 PM

2 posts, read 7,150 times

Advertisements

Planning a move to Eastern TN in Jan/Feb 2024. Leaving Georgia coast for multiple reasons - biggest is the heat/humidity of the coastal climate here impacting health, but also to be a shorter drive to friends/family in Midwest (without leaving the South), better soil for growing vegetables (as opposed to sand), GA is leaning more left with every passing day, etc. I've visited the mountain region many times in all four seasons, and I love it!

Yes, I know, I won't be allowed to be a Dogs fan anymore.

I'm self-employed so job isn't an issue, but I do need some guidance on a few things. I'm still working at narrowing down which eastern county, but am leaning towards Unicoi, Carter, Johnson or Sullivan. Maybe Washington. Rural - I do NOT want to live in town. More southern counties are fine, I just don't want to be in a tourist area. The only traffic I want to deal with is a tractor.

I'll be looking for a property to rent for the first year while I scout out a place to buy. I have chickens and really don't want to give them up, so would prefer a house on an acre (or five) where I can build a coop and run, and ideally put in a garden. I know that's asking a lot! Is there a website, community forum, or other place to look for property like this? Bulletin board at the local feed & seed? Down here we use Zillow and Trulia, but neither of those have many listings in the mountain areas. It's also been my experience that driving down back roads looking for "For Rent" signs is usually the best way to go for what I'm looking for, but short of that?

I'm a bit of a hermit - I work (home office), tend the animals, grow vegetables, fish, and pretty much keep to myself. Not unfriendly, just live a quiet life. I do a little volunteer work. Keep an eye out for neighbors when needed but don't get in their business and appreciate the same. Don't care about being near other transplants, kids are grown so don't need to be near schools, and don't mind driving for whatever I need - I'm 35 miles from town now and don't care to be much closer.

Mostly (for now) I'd just like local knowledge - areas to avoid or look at, where to look for rental listings and eventually land purchase listings. I know it's still 10 months out, but I'm a planner and I'm taking my time to get everything in line.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2023, 06:50 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
There really isn't a good option for what you are trying to do.

Finding a place to rent, especially when not from the area, is difficult. I've had friends and acquaintances have difficulties in finding simple apartments recently. Finding a rental where chickens would be allowed short of driving around is going to be basically impossible. The best thing you could do is to try and find a realtor who might be able to point you in the right direction.

Washington and Sullivan counties have plenty of rural areas, but they are not what I'd call rural counties. In Washington County, look toward Greene County. In Sullivan, look east of Bristol going toward South Holston.

Johnson really uses Boone, NC as more of a service city than TN, but it's incredibly rural. Unicoi is also rural, and so is Carter, to a less extent.

Personally, if I was looking to go to the Midwest with any regularity, I'd look at counties north of Knoxville along I-75. I'm from here, but used to live in Indiana. When I would come back to see family in Kingsport, the easiest way to get into KY was along the Wilderness Road going through Lee County, VA. You'd get on 75 in Corbin at mile marker 29. From Kingsport, that was 2.5 hours.

Old 03-17-2023, 05:35 AM

4,385 posts, read 4,391,598 times
Look around the Cherokee Reservoir area.

Old 03-17-2023, 09:07 AM

537 posts, read 446,060 times
If you're a Georgia person, look in the far northeast corner of Georgia--around Hiawassee and/or Clayton.

Hiawassee is located on islands in the middle of Lake Chatuge, and it's knock dead beautiful there and around Blairsville.

They're Bulldog fans there.

For East Tennessee, you really need to put the shoes on the ground. I like Jonesborough and the general area south of Johnson City. Many also like the Morristown area. For Upper East Tennessee, most town are winners.

Old 03-19-2023, 10:21 AM

2 posts, read 7,150 times
Thanks everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee