Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2023, 08:04 AM

537 posts, read 447,406 times

Advertisements

Don't forget that Gatlinburg has a bypass so you can get into the park without having to go thru the city center.

Pigeon Forge and the Parkway also gets congested on those weekends when they have huge conventions and car shows. But we've been there so many times that we know how to get around without driving the Parkway.

What tickles me are the locals. When the big car shows come to town, they get out early morning and put lawn chairs at stop lights. They're reserving places where they can sit and talk to the people in their show cars. You will never find such a friendly, unique place than the Pigeon Forge area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2023, 08:52 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,814,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Last time I was in Gatlinburg, I said I would never go back. Traffic was backed up through town for almost a mile. It took us a long time just to get through the center part of town. Crowds on the street were several people deep. Tacky shops galore. Not my idea of a place I would ever want to return to. It’s a shame since this part of the country is beautiful. Cherokee is in an excellent location to visit the park and far less crowded. The Indian shops/culture is an added bonus. Regarding your last statement, if I wanted to visit the mountains, and not just the park, there are more desirable areas in western NC to use as a base, such as Waynesville, Hendersonville, Black Mountain, or Brevard.
I agree with this. Gatlinburg and Pigeon forge can be so overrun with traffic that it takes the fun away. Even on the Tennessee side you can find mountain cabin rentals away from all that in places like Townsend or further south yet towards Tellico Plains. I’m not saying Gatlinburg is not nice because it is but the traffic and overcrowding can be a big issue especially on weekends. Visit on Tuesday?? Not so bad.

The North Carolina side is beautiful by the way. It’s a completely different experience.

Old 02-20-2023, 07:11 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,984,073 times
I agree with the assessment of why does it have to be Gatlinburg? The traffic, tackiness and crowds massively take away from the natural beauty of the area. Check out the other side of the mountains in NC
with towns like Sylva, Bryson City, Maggie Valley or Waynesville for less traffic/congestion and some better hotel deals.

Old 02-23-2023, 11:42 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,532,311 times
Be aware, Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge are extremely crowded, touristy to the point of being very tacky and lots of the same souvenir/tee-shirt shops. If you like that, it's great. If you're looking for something a little less crowded, try Townsend or perhaps Cosby. I don't recall what hotels in in the Cosby area, but Townsend definitely has some nice ones.

Old 03-09-2023, 04:48 PM

82 posts, read 18,665 times
Dear Hubby and I went to Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge at the end of February to early march a few years ago. It was the best choice we ever made to go at that time. No crowds and you can park on the main street! Otherwise you will have to pay for parking.. The highway into Pigeon Forge was dead. I saw the 3 lanes and said to hubby- this place must get really busy.

We arrived around 6 pm in the evening and did a bed and breakfast in Gatlinburg. Sadly that b+b burned down during the great fire.

I will say I was not thrilled with either place. Gatlinburg's main street reminded me of a boardwalk with all the silly fun and game activities.

Pigeon Forge was a long road with lite up billboards and show houses, shopping ,hotels,places to eat and kid activities -lgo cart rides etc. I thought it rather Vegas like with all the lights.

We drove through Cades Cove and stopped at all the buildings. It happen to be a heat wave when we went and it was perfect. It can say I loved that part as well.

Drove to the top of the Park Mountain into NC and ended up at Bush Beans out in the Country on the Tennessee side.

I will say I enjoys the Arts and Craft circle. But the down towns Not so much.

Dollywood was not open at that time of the year and being elderly we had no interest in it.

I enjoyed the Titanic experience. Though thought the forced photograph with the man dress as the Captain was just a money maker.
I actually insisted out of it and they left me alone.

We enjoyed the bed and breakfast as it was all one level in the part we stayed. I have bad legs.

And the morning breakfasts were amazing.

We stayed at eight gables Inn. sadly no more.

You will be doing much walking. This will be hard on your wife with a walker. I can't imagine going there with a walker. But if you drive around and stop at various places you want to see it would work.

We spent most of our time driving around .

Old 03-09-2023, 09:49 PM

537 posts, read 447,406 times
I've stayed in Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge so many times that I've learned all the back roads--to bypass traffic.

When you come into Sevierville, turn left at the big intersection and turn right just past the KFC. It's 4 lane and takes you past Dollywood (on the left) and brings you into Pigeon Forge at the end of The Parkway. That way you can avoid all the Pigeon Forge traffic.

And don't forget that if you're going to the park at Gatlinburg, there's a bypass that takes you around Gatlinburg's horrendous traffic. Just take the right fork in the road--and it's well marked.

We even know a way to get to the top of the mountain (toward Cherokee) that can be reached by going out Wears Valley Road a couple of miles and turning left.

We still avoid the place on car show weekends and when the motorcyclists come to town.

Old 05-21-2023, 09:44 AM

29 posts, read 27,379 times
Default Budget hotels Gatlinburg near Great Smokies National Park

Can anyone recommend any good budget hotels in Gatlinburg near the Great Smoky Mountains National Park? I've identified two on the web, the River Edge and the Econolodge by the River (the River Edge has slightly higher ratings), and also the Days Inn. There's a Motel 6 right near the park but it gets terrible reviews and I wouldn't go there. Thanks very much!!!!!!!!

Old 05-21-2023, 06:45 PM

3,055 posts, read 3,324,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgeberer View Post
Can anyone recommend any good budget hotels in Gatlinburg near the Great Smoky Mountains National Park? I've identified two on the web, the River Edge and the Econolodge by the River (the River Edge has slightly higher ratings), and also the Days Inn. There's a Motel 6 right near the park but it gets terrible reviews and I wouldn't go there. Thanks very much!!!!!!!!
To be on the Strip the 2 you mention may be just about it. There may be others as you get closer to I-40. Then you may have to fight traffic into Gatlinburg & the park. Becoming a tourist trap.

Old 05-22-2023, 03:29 AM

451 posts, read 424,532 times
You can look for newer reviews which I've always trusted more as things change good or bad in hotels. As for econolodge that's a choice hotels property go to choice hotels.com for more info and other budget type places like quality inn and Rodeway inns.
I like to check reviews on booking.com also but sorted for listing newer first. You don't have to reserve there just look at reviews.
Also now many reviews are posted on Google maps. Open Google maps click on the hotel and sort for newer reviews. I guarantee you can get more quantity of current reviews by doing this. Although you need to work at it.
Out of coincidence 4 years ago I stayed at that econolodge that backs up by the river on the main street. It was just fine. Ni e pool
Best of luck

Last edited by JMT; 05-22-2023 at 05:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee