Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2023, 11:07 PM

537 posts, read 443,644 times

Advertisements

I live about 5 miles south of the Tennessee State Line outside Huntsville, AL. My wife and I were riding through the countryside last week, and I was commenting on how absolutely beautiful Middle Tennessee is south of Nashville. (We were between Pulaski and Columbia off I-65.)

Right now Cookeville, Tennessee is one of the stars in the southeast for retirees moving in. You have Tenn. Tech university, a good regional hospital and beautiful hills with natural rivers and waterfalls. It's 80 mi. east of Nashville on I-40--close enough. And two fabulous lakes are 1/2 hour away.

This state is full of great places to live. Nashville and Franklin are now so expensive, but the quality of life is great. Let me just list the places I really like in no particular order:
Columbia and Maury County--very historic antebellum place 40 mi. south of Nashville
Tullahoma and the Tims Ford Lake area (Jack Daniels Country)
Crossville if you're a golfer.
Johnson City and Jonesborough--largest city in Upper East TN
Greeneville--20 mi. south of Johnson City--#1 agriculture county in the South.
Morristown
Maryville--back door to Great Smoky Mountain National Park
Murfreesboro and the hills 10-20 miles southeast of there.
Winchester--at the foot of Monteagle Mountain. Two great fishing lakes.
Cleveland--north of Chattanooga. Ocoee River and whitewater is 20 mi.
Shelbyville--walking horses and beautiful farms south of Murfreesboro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2023, 01:33 PM

37,796 posts, read 40,994,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
This is golden information- thanks! Wife an I are thinking of retiring from rural CT to TN, and this synopsis helps. Do you know if there is a decent off road (dirt biking) motorcycle culture there? In CT its almost impossible to ride a bike off road, they control every square foot.
No, sorry. I'm an old lady.

Old 02-07-2023, 12:36 AM

Quote:
This is golden information- thanks! Wife an I are thinking of retiring from rural CT to TN, and this synopsis helps. Do you know if there is a decent off road (dirt biking) motorcycle culture there? In CT its almost impossible to ride a bike off road, they control every square foot.
For offroading, try WindRockPark.com in Oliver Springs. That's just over the hill from Oak Ridge--west of Knoxville.

Is 73,000 acres enough land for you?

The National Forestry Service also has a number of Off Road facilities in East Tennessee and Northeast Georgia.

The thing that Tennessee has is plenty of mountain land for recreation.

Old 02-07-2023, 04:29 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,506,982 times
Quote:
There are a lot of off-road courses around Oak Ridge, near Knoxville. THey are old mining roads and are quite extensive. OK... JOeJunior has told you about Wind Rock... I've been, and it's very large.

Old 02-08-2023, 05:01 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,921,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
No, sorry. I'm an old lady.

Old 02-08-2023, 05:02 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,921,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJunior View Post
For offroading, try WindRockPark.com in Oliver Springs. That's just over the hill from Oak Ridge--west of Knoxville.

Is 73,000 acres enough land for you?

The National Forestry Service also has a number of Off Road facilities in East Tennessee and Northeast Georgia.

The thing that Tennessee has is plenty of mountain land for recreation.
That’s awesome- nice to see they put recreation area aside for folks. Thanks!

Old 02-10-2023, 12:25 PM

703 posts, read 934,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJunior View Post
I live about 5 miles south of the Tennessee State Line outside Huntsville, AL.

Tullahoma and the Tims Ford Lake area (Jack Daniels Country)
Winchester--at the foot of Monteagle Mountain.

Concur - I find the area near Fayetteville, Tullahoma, and Winchester beautiful with all the rolling hills, lakes, and rivers. Small cities that are not too far from the convivences of large cities.

Old 02-13-2023, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by y8tiger View Post
Concur - I find the area near Fayetteville, Tullahoma, and Winchester beautiful with all the rolling hills, lakes, and rivers. Small cities that are not too far from the convivences of large cities.
You're absolutely right about the land north and northeast of Huntsville. (Fayetteville's county is on the state line.) Few people realize how mountainous the northeast corner of Alabama is. And it's even better if you include the Tennessee River.

Winchester is within eyeshot of Monteagle Mountain, and they've got Tims Ford Lake in the middle of town. That's very positive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee