Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2022, 07:34 PM

3,037 posts, read 3,306,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Dollywood announced they are closing until the day after Christmas because of the bitter cold. It's a great place to visit when lighted for Christmas and it will be warm in the 60s for the new year's weekend.

Ha ha that's funny Liz. Are you saying no one wants to go there because it's too crowded? I'll admit I prefer to visit the Smokies via Townsend but millions of people don't agree with us.
TVA announced they were having some rolling power downs Thursday-Friday due to cold & wind. Power downs could be 10-15 minutes per hour until system stabilizes. By Friday pm the power problems should be over.

With ice on the roadway a tough day to travel. One day to stay put if you can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2022, 08:57 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,718,375 times
Rolling blackouts are continuing today, Saturday. I’ve had three already. I also had multiple yesterday and at one point I was out five hours.

Old 12-26-2022, 06:39 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
We had the rolling blackouts for about 15-20 minutes per hour every hour for five hours in Bristol. While TN does not have the grid problems of, say, Texas, we aren’t immune to it.

Old 12-27-2022, 05:38 AM

155 posts, read 265,778 times
We love everything about East TN at Christmastime, from the crowds/lights of Gatlinburg to the peacefulness of a rented cabin in the woods.

Old 12-27-2022, 08:12 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,127,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
We had the rolling blackouts for about 15-20 minutes per hour every hour for five hours in Bristol. While TN does not have the grid problems of, say, Texas, we aren’t immune to it.
Wonder if that's done by density or street/neighborhood, or some other method. I only had three rolling blackouts over the weekend, but I live in a SFH neighborhood where the properties are half an acre and up, so not very dense.

Old 12-27-2022, 03:57 PM

70 posts, read 74,009 times
Friday was brutal at Ohio. I had to go food shopping (no choice) had to wait for my first paycheck and combine it with my hubby's to do a nice food shopping. Try keeping your bags flying off the buggy and load the car up full of groceries in a 50 mph winds at -35 windchill temps yeah I am paying for it now with a mild head cold. I am now coming out of it.

We are looking at bunch of places to choose from then book reservations early. Thank you, we are not going to do Gatlinburg doing holidays. My uncle has a house in Nashville. If my hubby wants to say around there and my parents wants to as well and my uncle and his wife be there that would be cool unless my uncle won't be there he may let us use his place. Who knows.

Old 12-27-2022, 03:59 PM

70 posts, read 74,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
That is crazy! I live in the outskirts of my town in St. Marys Ohio I never loose power, but in town they always loose power over littlest things. Twice was from squirrels, several was transformers.

Old 12-27-2022, 06:55 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperG1rl View Post
That is crazy! I live in the outskirts of my town in St. Marys Ohio I never loose power, but in town they always loose power over littlest things. Twice was from squirrels, several was transformers.
This was a TVA thing - apparently the grid was stressed overall. This is the first time that I've seen anything like this around here. I wouldn't put too much thought into it. Many places had issues. Here in Bristol, I almost never lose power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Wonder if that's done by density or street/neighborhood, or some other method. I only had three rolling blackouts over the weekend, but I live in a SFH neighborhood where the properties are half an acre and up, so not very dense.
It sounds plausible, but I never heard anything definitive. My power went out around lunch Friday - it was on and off much of the afternoon. I just got back home tonight, having been in Asheville since Saturday around lunch. My clocks went off again, so obviously had a power blip sometime after Saturday, but no idea for how long. BTES never mentioned anything other than "TVA issues" on their Facebook.

Old 12-27-2022, 06:59 PM

81 posts, read 46,215 times
https://www.al.com/news/2022/12/tva-...er-freeze.html

Quote:
For the first time in 90 years, the TVA initiated a series of temporary “rolling blackouts” Saturday in efforts to conserve energy across its power grid. The planned outages occurred from about 7 a.m. to 11 a.m and lasted for up to 30 minutes at a time.

Old 12-28-2022, 08:34 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,240,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Ha ha that's funny Liz. Are you saying no one wants to go there because it's too crowded? I'll admit I prefer to visit the Smokies via Townsend but millions of people don't agree with us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Of course, plenty of people want to visit Gatlinburg, as evidenced by the many tourists who frequent there. It’s not our cup of tea. It’s the tackiest place we’ve ever been with hoards of souvenir shops lining the main st. Granted the area is beautiful, but there are so many other quaint towns in east TN and WNC with equally beautiful scenery. BUT, to each his/her own…
Long before I visited Gatlinburg / Pigeon Forge, I read A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson about an attempted through-hike of the Appalachian Trail. They later made the book into a movie featuring Robert Redford and Nick Nolte. The book was good and very funny if you can ignore Bryson's occasional ranting and insults; I haven't seen the movie, but now that I'm reminded it exists I may stream it.

When I did finally visit the area, a passage from the book was really driven home. The author and his hiking companion had been in utter solitude for weeks. Seeing nothing but trees, rocks, squirrels, and maybe 1-2 people a day who passed them on the hike. Someone met them at Clingman's Dome and drove them to Gatlinburg / PF to get supplies, a shower, and a night in an actual bed. Bryson's description of the crowds, flashing lights, and over-the-top kitsch of Gatlinburg actually made me laugh out loud while reading. Then later I realized the description was quite spot-on, at least it was from the perspective of this introvert.

The entire town of Pigeon Forge exists for one purpose: to extract as much money as possible from as many people as possible as quickly as possible. Museums, helicopter rides, 365 Christmas stores, knife stores, boot stores, speed traps, every thrill ride you can conceive of packed into a very small area.

Don't get me wrong, Pigeon Forge can be a fun area. I know several people who go at least once a year, and some multiple times a year. I've personally been several times for kid's soccer tournaments and because my company holds their annual employee event at Dollywood. Great pancake restaurants, incredibly fast go-kart tracks (at least they were fast before COVID made them lower the speed and get rid of shared helmets), beautiful scenery, Dollywood is a top-tier amusement park, and Dolly Parton is a living Saint who has done amazing things to improve the situation of her native Appalachian people (there are no recycle bins in the county... because she pays to recycle every scrap of trash that is tossed).

Gatlinburg, however, is just wrong to me. I've been there twice, and both times only because I went with other people. They took an absolutely gorgeous natural area and turned it into a tourist trap. The crowds... and traffic... just not my scene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee