Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2022, 12:21 PM

42 posts, read 129,632 times

Advertisements

Quick back story. My wife and I married at 19. I told her I always wanted to take her to Paris France (I went on my senior trip in 1984) and picnic with her at this little park near the Eiffel Tower. 37 years and four children later, it hasn't happened yet. We trade planning our anniversary trips so the other doesn't know the destination.

Now.....this year it's my turn. We have always traveled either west or north of Northern Illinois (not Chicago but 120 miles west of there) where we live. I've decided south this time. We have always talked of Memphis for Stax and Sun Records, (we did Motown one year and I highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't been there.) and she wants to go to Graceland (me not so much). I've wanted to see Owensboro KY and the river walk park area there so we are stopping there for a day or two. Then on to Memphis for three days. When I saw Paris Tennessee had a scaled down Eiffel Tower (in a park no less) it was a no brainer we had to stay there. This leads me to a couple of questions.

First, it looks like you can stay at the Paris Landing State Park. Our travel dates would revolve around when we could get a night there. Has anyone stayed there, how are the accommodations, anything we should be aware of before we book there? We're looking around the first couple of weeks in June. Not sure about the weather down there in June. I figure a bit warmer than Northern Illinois but maybe a bit rainy? And what about Sally Lane Candy Farm? Might be a place to satisfy her sweet tooth?

As for Memphis, we like music and music history. Mainly artists from the 50's through the 80's. Good food (both nice $$$ and hole in the wall places). As long as the food is something to "write home about" we there. Small eclectic shopping (Cooper-Young area, what is that?) Obviously Beale Street and a few other places I've heard about here on CD. Central BBQ and Leonard's, Silky O'Sullivans, Wild Bill's or The Worm, Crystal Grotto, Wiseacres, and the Peabody Hotel for the duck walk. Yeah, I know, touristy but it sounds cute. We'll probably never be able to get to all of them, but always leave something to come back and see I always say.

As for Owensboro, I'll post in the KY boards or just "wing it" unless anyone here has any specific ideas.

Is there anything else that might be a must see or something that only the locals know about I could add to the list of ideas? We're open to almost anything that isn't overly strenuous, my wife's health really won't allow it.

CD has never let me down while planning a trip. I wish there was more to do in my area so I could contribute more on the Illinois boards, but everything is so Chicago based in this state. The only reason we ever go there is to visit my daughter. You couldn't pay me to live there or in the 'burbs.

Thanks for any advice. It'll be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2022, 02:06 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
I'm not a resident of Tennessee and I've never lived there, so I can't help you much. But I've visited a few times, and I had a couple of things to toss out:

I beat you to Paris by two years, and I haven't been back either, even though I'd like to. I've never been to Paris, TN, but I'd love to see it, if only for the replica of the Eiffel Tower if nothing else. FYI, for your future planning purposes, there's also a replica in Las Vegas, and in the Kings Dominion theme park a little north of Richmond, VA, and one at EPCOT in Florida that you can see but I don't think you can get too close to it. There are probably other ones as well, but those are the ones I know about.

As for Tennessee, in terms of natural scenery, I think that the state gets prettier the farther east you go. If you enjoy views of large rivers in flat landscapes, then Memphis is fantastic. But otherwise, I find the topography to be much more interesting from Nashville on eastward from there.

The running of the ducks at the Peabody may be touristy, but it's unique and a lot of fun. The actual event takes just a few seconds, so if you're going to video it (and you should), be ready. If you have time, take the monorail to Mud Island. They have an interesting scale model of the Mississippi River there, among other things. Don't be too down on Graceland. It was actually a lot more interesting than I expected, and I'm not even an Elvis fan. In any case, if you're a fan of 1950s-80s music, and you're in Memphis, you simply cannot skip it. Look into taking a ride on an old-time riverboat up the Mississippi River; it's a relaxing way to get out there on the water and enjoy the views.

Sorry I don't have anything else for you. Hopefully some other folks will chime in. Enjoy your trip, and happy anniversary!

Old 11-05-2022, 03:42 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,721,445 times
Quote:
If you have time, take the monorail to Mud Island. They have an interesting scale model of the Mississippi River there, among other things.
A coworker just recently went to Memphis and they did the monorail. Unfortunately, due to the pandemic they have not kept up the maintenance of Mud island and he said it was awful. He definitely would not do it again until they fix it up.

Old 11-06-2022, 06:50 PM

3,047 posts, read 3,315,933 times
In KY maybe check out Hendersonville & the Audubon State Park. From Clarksville visit Dover & the Ft Donelson Military Park. Paris TN woyuld be worth your visit. Enjoy your trip.

If you have time come to Nashville and check out the Parthenon in Centennial Park.

Old 11-09-2022, 09:08 AM

704 posts, read 936,406 times
Many years ago when I was stationed at Fort Campbell a group of us travelled to Paris, TN for their famous Catfish Festival.

I heard it is much larger now and known as the World's Biggest Fish Fry.

Ditto the Parthenon in Nashville is a must see.

A few years back, I took my wife on the Southern Belle Riverboat Cruise in Chattanooga and plan to go back for the Tennessee Valley Railroad Steam Special.

Old 11-14-2022, 02:25 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,509,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post
In KY maybe check out Hendersonville & the Audubon State Park. From Clarksville visit Dover & the Ft Donelson Military Park. Paris TN woyuld be worth your visit. Enjoy your trip.

If you have time come to Nashville and check out the Parthenon in Centennial Park.
I think you meant to say, "Henderson, KY". Hendersonville is a suburb of Nashville.

I think the OP's budget is important here as there's a full range of places to see all the way up the price scale. Heck, even a night out in Nashville these days can easily set one back $200.

Old 11-18-2022, 09:06 AM

42 posts, read 129,632 times
Budget is a concern but to any great extent. Budgeting $4k for a week long road trip and only needing sub $3k has become the norm. We value comfort, good food and safety, but absolutely treasure the experience in our trips whenever they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee