Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2022, 11:25 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,943,010 times

Advertisements

From hotels.com:

A collection of the most picturesque towns in Tennessee awaits you on a road trip where you can escape the glitz and big-city feel of Nashville and Memphis. For one, there’s Gatlinburg that’s both known as a popular gateway to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park and gets a frequent mention as among the prettiest towns in Tennessee – if not the whole of the United States.

There are many other charming towns set against the natural beauty of smoky skies and lush flowing hills, as well as small townships with incredibly walkable downtown streets flanked by historic sites and antique galleries. Find your hidden gem of a town in Tennessee with these picks for your next road trip through this landlocked southeastern state.

https://www.hotels.com/go/usa/most-p...43QKunLNkr_DSE
  1. Gatlinburg
  2. Townsend
  3. Jonesborough
  4. Bell Buckle
  5. Rogersville
  6. Pigeon Forge
  7. Greeneville
  8. Leipers Fork
  9. Pulaski
  10. Cookeville
  11. Columbia

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2022, 08:06 PM

3,037 posts, read 3,304,919 times
I'd like to add Dover and the Ft Donelson Military Park. I like the way the fort sits on a bluff over the Cumberland River. See for miles from the Cumberland River bridge downstream for about a mile. Having some old growth trees is a plus. Having a pair of eagles have their nest there is a bonus. Maybe not a "trendy" place but well worth the visit. Can't beat the price.

Old 09-20-2022, 11:06 AM

7,538 posts, read 17,224,480 times
... Pigeon Forge? Townsend!? Not to be hard on my home state, but I truly hope no one goes to Pigeon Forge hoping to be stunned by its picturesque beauty. I guess Gatlinburg is nearby for disappointed travelers...

This has to just be clickbait. Yes, these towns have mountain views, but some of them are just collections of strip malls or old converted houses along four-lane highways. ???

Old 09-20-2022, 11:39 AM

39,861 posts, read 26,489,397 times
Pigeon Forge picturesque? I guess their idea of that word is different than mine.

Old 09-20-2022, 02:23 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,506,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post
I'd like to add Dover and the Ft Donelson Military Park. I like the way the fort sits on a bluff over the Cumberland River. See for miles from the Cumberland River bridge downstream for about a mile. Having some old growth trees is a plus. Having a pair of eagles have their nest there is a bonus. Maybe not a "trendy" place but well worth the visit. Can't beat the price.
I'll need to go to see Dover. I'm struggling to think of any smaller town on a river in TN. Isn't Fayetteville on a river (I think a small one)? I've always thought that was a decent looking town. Also in the bigger category, the core of Cleveland, TN is quite attractive.

Old 09-20-2022, 02:37 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,943,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
... Pigeon Forge? Townsend!? Not to be hard on my home state, but I truly hope no one goes to Pigeon Forge hoping to be stunned by its picturesque beauty. I guess Gatlinburg is nearby for disappointed travelers...

This has to just be clickbait. Yes, these towns have mountain views, but some of them are just collections of strip malls or old converted houses along four-lane highways. ???
I am not a fan of Pigeon Forge, either. The mountains are beautiful, but the town itself is gaudy. If I were to pick a more picturesque Tennessee mountain town, it would be Sewanee.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sewa...active&ssui=on

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 09-21-2022, 10:38 AM

Elizabethton is on two rivers (the Doe and Watauga) and is actually one of the nicer small towns in East TN!

Old 09-21-2022, 12:08 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,315,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post

I haven’t been that far north yet in Tennessee, so I should thank you for saving me a trip to the Gatlinburg area. I’ve been staying in Cleveland, Tennessee, since August 1, and I’ve only ventured as far north as Athens.

My goal is to possibly relocate out this way — either in eastern Tennessee or perhaps somewhere in Kentucky or Virginia (I was born and raised in Los Angeles County). I’m tired of living in crowded, expensive, dry, barren Southern California and want to live somewhere that has four seasons, less development, more nature, and just an overall more pleasant and less hectic environment.

Chattanooga isn’t bad, but the traffic in and around that city is off-putting; hell, even Cleveland has traffic issues.

Old 09-21-2022, 12:12 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,315,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinestx View Post
I'll need to go to see Dover. I'm struggling to think of any smaller town on a river in TN. Isn't Fayetteville on a river (I think a small one)? I've always thought that was a decent looking town. Also in the bigger category, the core of Cleveland, TN is quite attractive.
Old town Cleveland around Lee University and the courthouse area is very quaint and picturesque; it has an almost Mayberry-esque quality to it. The traffic issues in the city are a bit frustrating, however. The local drivers are also not all that polite, in my experience, and I say this as someone who grew up in Southern California (the land of traffic and rude, aggressive drivers). Some of these good ol’ boy pickup truck drivers and the little tricked-out sports car drivers can be downright rude!

Old 09-21-2022, 02:42 PM

Anthony, if you like an old town vibe, you should head up to Jonesborough and then check out Johnson City too.

Jonesborough:

and Elizabethton (mentioned in an earlier post):
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee