Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 10:28 PM

44 posts, read 421,059 times

Advertisements

I have caught the mountain bug and want to move closer.
I am retired so work is not a problem.
What towns are best.
What are the taxes in the area?
How do the TN taxes compare to the NC towns around there?
Other costs of living?
crime?
Medical care?
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2008, 10:58 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,943,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam4givin View Post
I have caught the mountain bug and want to move closer.
I am retired so work is not a problem.
What towns are best.
What are the taxes in the area?
How do the TN taxes compare to the NC towns around there?
Other costs of living?
crime?
Medical care?
Thank you!
North Carolina has a state income tax, Tennessee doesn't. Tennessee has a rather high sales tax (8.25% on food, 9.25% on everything else), North Carolina's is smaller.

As far as what towns are "best" I guess it depends on what you're looking for. Do you want a small town? Larger town? Shopping? Night life? Restaurants? Do you want to live in a development, or do you want to live out in the wilderness? How about proximity to a commercial airport or to an interstate?

City-data.com has wonderful information on cost of living, crime and health care for just about every city and town in the country. I suggest you get a map, pick out some towns in both states and go to their respective city-data.com pages to see what info is there. Some also have photos.

Old 05-26-2008, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
North Carolina has a state income tax, Tennessee doesn't. Tennessee has a rather high sales tax (8.25% on food, 9.25% on everything else), North Carolina's is smaller.

As far as what towns are "best" I guess it depends on what you're looking for. Do you want a small town? Larger town? Shopping? Night life? Restaurants? Do you want to live in a development, or do you want to live out in the wilderness? How about proximity to a commercial airport or to an interstate?

City-data.com has wonderful information on cost of living, crime and health care for just about every city and town in the country. I suggest you get a map, pick out some towns in both states and go to their respective city-data.com pages to see what info is there. Some also have photos.
Thank you for responding!
I want a small town not real far from a little shopping.
Do not care about night life.
Restauraunts nice but do not have to have.
I do not want to be in a close development but not to far out to find.
Air port not needed.
Interstate, nice if it is with in 25 miles but a little further is ok.
What about local taxes?
Car registration costs?
How does utility costs compare?
Thank you!

Old 05-26-2008, 08:31 AM

764 posts, read 1,421,162 times
Quote:
Restaurants nice but do not have to have.
Air port not needed.
What about local taxes?
Car registration costs?
Thank you!
Hi Tam4givin,

Hopefully this will help you in your search.... The official state websites and the websites for the Chambers of Commerce for the towns you are interested in have a lot of information on them and will probably answer most of your questions. Try these two for starters...

Tennessee - Tennessee.gov

and North Carolina - NC.GOV - Home

These two will be able to tell you about taxes, vehicle registration, etc. You might even be able to get your questions about the utilities answered there or at least be pointed to the names of the utility companies serving the area(s) you are interested in so you can browse their websites.

For the Chambers of Commerce - just type in (for example) "Gatlinburg Chamber of Commerce" into Google (or your favorite search engine) and it will be one of the first links to come up. They will be able to tell you about all the attractions, local businesses, etc. Some have a relocation packet you can order, some have that information on their websites. Almost all of them that I've seen have the links for the local County and City government websites as well.

I sincerely hope this information helps you in your quest. Good luck and I hope you find your perfect town!

Old 05-31-2008, 05:20 PM

Smile Thank you

Thank you folks!

Old 05-31-2008, 06:34 PM

4,951 posts, read 2,537,518 times
Quote:
Restauraunts nice but do not have to have.
Air port not needed.
What about local taxes?
Car registration costs?
Thank you!
Hi Tam4givin...
Have you considered Jonesborogh? The things you are looking for in a town sound like you are describing J'boro. It is only about 8 miles from Johnson City. They have alot of restaurants and it has a beautiful downtown. It is the oldest town in Tennessee, so alot of history. You might find it helpful to go to Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, house prices, home value estimator, recent sales, maps, race, income, photos, education, crime, weather, houses, and more and enter the town and state that will pull up alot of info on any town/city you are interested in checking out. It contains all kinds of info, such as population, average income, weather, etc... Some of them have pictures also. If I remember correctly, there were alot of pictures of Jonesborogh. Once you've narrowed down your options you can contact the individual chambers of commerce and the visitors centers and request visiting and relocation packages. Most of these are not charged for and you can get helpful info for each place.
Good luck in your search. I hope you find exactly what you are looking for!

Old 06-01-2008, 03:55 PM

445 posts, read 1,682,674 times
Default Maggie Valley is nice

it is in North Carolina. I had a house there. I loved it but it was at the tope of the mountain and would not make a good permanent home. The city itself is very nice and Ashville is not that far away.

Old 06-01-2008, 07:16 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,582,370 times
The thing about Tennessee is that besides gatlinburg there are no towns that are actually in the smoky mountains. Even Mountain city is in a valley. Johnson City and Erwin are close, as is Newport. Do a search on this thread for more background.

Newport has a bit of the lawless hillbilly reputation, but if you are "street wise" in the country sense I think it offers great value for its proximity to the mountains and I-40.

There are lots of small towns on the Cumberland Plateau.

Old 06-01-2008, 07:35 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,943,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
The thing about Tennessee is that besides gatlinburg there are no towns that are actually in the smoky mountains. Even Mountain city is in a valley. Johnson City and Erwin are close, as is Newport. Do a search on this thread for more background.

Newport has a bit of the lawless hillbilly reputation, but if you are "street wise" in the country sense I think it offers great value for its proximity to the mountains and I-40.

There are lots of small towns on the Cumberland Plateau.
Newport is definitely a more affordable alternative to Gatlinburg. It's easier to get to, too. And there's a heck of a lot less traffic.

I also appreciate your suggestion of the Cumberland Plateau. The plateau gets overlooked quite a bit, yet it can often be a better option for some people. The higher altitudes of the plateau (Crossville, Monterey, Jamestown) have weather similar to Gatlinburg's weather, the plateau is closer to Nashville's larger and MUCH cheaper airport, plus the plateau offers some amazingly beautiful areas such as Tennessee's most popular state park, Fall Creek Falls, and the ruggedly beautiful Big South Fork National Recreation Area.

The hospital in Cookeville offers just about everything you'd find at hospitals in bigger cities (it's one of the state's 5 busiest heart centers, for example). The hospital in Crossville is also pretty good.

Plus there's just a heck of a lot less traffic on the Cumberland Plateau than there is in the Smoky Mountains.

Last edited by JMT; 06-01-2008 at 07:48 PM..

Old 06-01-2008, 09:37 PM

1,065 posts, read 3,868,055 times
Default Jonesborough

A picture of Main Street in downtown Jonesborough. You can see First Baptist Church of Jonesborough where my wife and I attend Church. Jonesborough is a great town. We live in Telford, about four miles from downtown Jonesborough. Small town, friendly people, and terrific mountain scenery. Another plus, only 8 miles to Johnson City, 18 miles to Greeneville, and 25 miles to Kingsport.
Attached Thumbnails
Smoky Mountain Area Towns Best To Live In-main-street-jonesborough.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee