Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2022, 11:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,856 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am new hear but I need some advice. I have searched and search and am getting mixed reports on what I am looking for. Me and my family of 6 are really thinking of moving to tennessee. I have been looking for a really safe rural area that is close to the GA line due to us still having family in GA. We raise pigs and grow a big garden each year so land is a must. What would be a good area to look at? Looking for good charter schools for my young ones and maybe about 35 to 40 min from a smaller town for shopping. Don't need really flat lands but low sever weather would be nice. Any tips or helpful information to make this search easier is very appreciated. We don't plan to move for about 5 years because I am still in school to get my teaching degree. Thank you all.

Last edited by Barefootfarmgirl; 07-31-2022 at 11:12 PM.. Reason: Misspelled something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2022, 12:02 AM

4,882 posts, read 5,014,802 times
How far into Tennessee are willing to move into? Hamilton, Bradley and Polk, with possibly Marion would be your target counties. Hamilton and Bradley will price you out pretty quickly on the amount of land you would need. Polk not sure about charter schools. Then you start a little farther north Sequatchie, Rhea and Meigs counties, with possibly Bledsoe. You can still buy acreage there, but still have no idea about charter schools.

Old 08-02-2022, 03:33 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,244,282 times
[Opinion]"Good schools" is almost a oxymoron in the land of "tax is theft" voters. Low taxes = low funds for schools and low pay for teachers. Especially in rural areas. And Charter schools, where even some non-profit varieties have corporations skimming public taxpayer money away from students to line their pockets, are usually (not always) even worse. [/Opinion]

There are no Charter schools in Polk, Bradley, or Marion Counties. There are several in Hamilton, but I don't think Hamilton meets any of your other criteria.

As mentioned by Creekcat, southern Hamilton county will be very expensive because of Chattanooga. There are a few semi-rural areas in the far eastern section (Apison), but any large tracts of land for sale usually get quickly snatched up by developers.

Southern Bradley County is very rural and farther away from Chattanooga. But Cleveland is growing, so maybe that's why Creekcat said land is high. I honestly don't know. It is quite "flat-ish" for the eastern part of the state, though.

Southern Polk County is mostly taken up by national forests and is "mountainous", except for near Conasauga.

Marion is "mountainous" except for the Sequatchie Valley. The Kimble/Jasper/South Pitsburg area is growing, though, so you'd have to go a ways north to get to a real rural area.

Based on the very limited info you've provided, I think the best areas will be south-eastern Bradley and south-western Polk counties, as long as your expectations on the local schools work with the area.

Old 08-07-2022, 09:42 AM

4,704 posts, read 25,301,161 times
Budget of course is import info to have to make recommendations. MY daughter used to live outside of Cleveland, and it was fairly rural, but the cost of real estate was still higher than I would have expected. Now, five years later, my guess is prices have only gone up. She did move to Cleveland for a while, but the real estate prices were fairly close to Knoxville prices (at least where she was looking, and bought).
The reason she moved from outside of Cleveland to inside Cleveland, was the proximity of shopping, etc. To get gas, or get to a store for that one item you need, was a drive. The mindset of the locals also had some bearing on the move as well.

Old 08-09-2022, 02:41 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,783,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefootfarmgirl View Post
Hi, I am new hear but I need some advice. I have searched and search and am getting mixed reports on what I am looking for. Me and my family of 6 are really thinking of moving to tennessee. I have been looking for a really safe rural area that is close to the GA line due to us still having family in GA. We raise pigs and grow a big garden each year so land is a must. What would be a good area to look at? Looking for good charter schools for my young ones and maybe about 35 to 40 min from a smaller town for shopping. Don't need really flat lands but low sever weather would be nice. Any tips or helpful information to make this search easier is very appreciated. We don't plan to move for about 5 years because I am still in school to get my teaching degree. Thank you all.
How far in GA does your family live? How long a drive would you tolerate? What is your budget?

Old 08-23-2022, 03:56 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,402,249 times
Mccaysville-Copper Hill
Ducktown-Turtle town
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee