Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2022, 02:51 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,510,011 times

Advertisements

Eastern and Northern Hamilton County is seeing houses go up at a blistering rate. It's somewhat alarming. Everyone wants a view of the eastern mountains and VW just announced another 1000 jobs, and we've seen lots of COVID refugees. Collegedale is the fastest growing city under 20,000 in the South with five new multi-building apartment complexes underway. And now the boom is moving easterly to Apison. Hamilton planning commission just approved another 900 homes on Bill Jones road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2022, 09:37 AM

35,079 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
I grew up on a farm in a deeply rural part of East Tennessee and most of my families have been in East TN or western North Carolina since the early 1800s. So, I think I have a pretty decent handle on this question.

Tennessee's truly rural areas like northwest TN will largely stay that way. The problem is no one wants to live there, and folks who need actual functioning economies in order to earn a living really can't live there.

Much more of the casual countryside in places like Sullivan County (for example) will become suburbanized and/or the human-wildland interface will grow much more complex over the coming decades.

In order for Tennessee to maintain the "wide open country look" that you're asking about (and I assume you mean in relative proximity to desirable amenities such as economically successful towns and cities), a huge political shift would have to take place in the general populace as well as the elected government. Wide open country doesn't just happen, it has to be planned using tools like county-wide zoning standards or greenbelt laws (see: Portland, OR metro).

Planned land use is anathema to a modern conservative. And most of the folks living in Tennessee are casually conservative. Beyond that, nearly all of the folks MOVING to Tennessee, outside of Nashville, are wildly conservative. So, additional land use controls, especially in country and rural areas, doesn't look to be on the legislative agenda for the next several decades at the very least.

Tl;dr - personal property rights trump conservation in Trump country. And that isn't a judgment on whether that is good, or bad, or neither - it's just a statement of the current politics.
One thing to consider too is that, outside of Washington County, every other county north and east of Knoxville had a natural population decline (births<deaths) for quite some time now. The people who are coming to the area are generally retirees. We can see evidence of this in local school consolations.

I don't see TN north and east of Knoxville growing that much. There simply isn't a skilled enough labor force overall to attract big employers that would then pull other people in. The area remains remote and not connected to any other metro areas.

Old 07-14-2022, 09:59 AM

12 posts, read 6,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I don't see TN north and east of Knoxville growing that much. There simply isn't a skilled enough labor force overall to attract big employers that would then pull other people in. The area remains remote and not connected to any other metro areas.
It's the area my family are looking to move to from TX. I hope it stays real and traditional. TX has been absolutely ruined over the last 15 years by small towns being taken over by crappy apartments, strip malls, too many people (legal and illegal), woke nasty schools, insane property taxes, and rising crime. There is a neighborhood about a mile from us that is literally filled with feral tweakers, prostitutes, and illegals. The cops I've spoken with say it's impossible to keep it cleaned up. They are in there every day and night. We want out of this area in the worst way. TX has lost its way in many ways.

My hundreds of hours of research has leaned NE TN, specifically the small towns bordering KY. We're also considering other states my wife's company will let her transfer to. I can get a job anywhere, so for me it's not a worry. We want to be someplace that's staunchly conservative, freedoms friendly, low/no state tax, and a government that stays out of the way of citizens. TX is becoming other than this. We are also looking at WY, SD, and a couple of others. TX used to be like NE TN, but those days are largely gone.

Old 07-14-2022, 06:58 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,238,441 times
Not sure if your wife will find the conservative government to be staying out of her way. Conservatives these days are unfortunately making choices that infringe on the rights of women and other folks who aren't straight men.

If you want true freedom, you may want to consider a blue state.

Old 07-14-2022, 07:47 PM

330 posts, read 1,197,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Not sure if your wife will find the conservative government to be staying out of her way. Conservatives these days are unfortunately making choices that infringe on the rights of women and other folks who aren't straight men.

If you want true freedom, you may want to consider a blue state.
That’s the funniest thing I’ve read all night.

Old 07-15-2022, 08:51 AM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewlGuy View Post
That’s the funniest thing I’ve read all night.
Not really. As a woman, I happen to agree with him. YMMV.

Just because the media likes to portray TN as some ultra right wing conservative bastion doesn't mean everyone feels that way. Some of us still like the the live and let live way of things, including us wimmenfolk.

Old 07-15-2022, 11:34 AM

35,079 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forestsoul View Post
It's the area my family are looking to move to from TX. I hope it stays real and traditional. TX has been absolutely ruined over the last 15 years by small towns being taken over by crappy apartments, strip malls, too many people (legal and illegal), woke nasty schools, insane property taxes, and rising crime. There is a neighborhood about a mile from us that is literally filled with feral tweakers, prostitutes, and illegals. The cops I've spoken with say it's impossible to keep it cleaned up. They are in there every day and night. We want out of this area in the worst way. TX has lost its way in many ways.

My hundreds of hours of research has leaned NE TN, specifically the small towns bordering KY. We're also considering other states my wife's company will let her transfer to. I can get a job anywhere, so for me it's not a worry. We want to be someplace that's staunchly conservative, freedoms friendly, low/no state tax, and a government that stays out of the way of citizens. TX is becoming other than this. We are also looking at WY, SD, and a couple of others. TX used to be like NE TN, but those days are largely gone.
I'm an upper middle class white guy with a local 5%er income and no kids. I have a very reasonable house payment and my taxes are affordable. The city services are reasonable, always working (parents live in the unincorporated county and have frequent power/internet outages, etc.), but TN really doesn't offer much in the way of social protections or benefits if you need them.

If I needed or wanted more social services, TN wouldn't be a good fit.

The small towns bordering KY are remote with almost nothing going on. It's a pretty far trek from there back to Knoxville or the Tri-Cities for any meaningful services. You'd definitely need to check on things like internet access, cellular service, and even municipal water access.

Rural east TN has a lot of drug issues and some issues with property crime, but random violent crime is mostly nonexistent, and what crime there is is largely contained among people already known to each other, and drug/domestic in nature.

It depends on what you are looking for. TX has notably higher property taxes. The weather alone in TX would get me. The weather is just far more moderate - very low risk of severe weather, drought, hurricane, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee