Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2022, 11:35 AM

643 posts, read 2,390,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperG1rl View Post
Where we live, just few houses down has best fiber optic, but refuse to install it where I am. Because we are just past the border of the city of St. Marys. It not Columbus, or Lima, etc. Its just a small town like with about 15k or so ppl.
I had this problem back in 2006 but was able to get fiber installed within 6 weeks of purchase. Issue was the poles were too short to properly space the lines. Utility ended up installing new poles, power line, and fiber. My neighbors were endlessly grateful that I bought as they had wanted it for years and had to drive to downtown Bristol for Internet, the power line was so old is constantly cut out, and the old telephone lines were like a party line when it rained.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2022, 01:06 PM

70 posts, read 75,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by md21722 View Post
I had this problem back in 2006 but was able to get fiber installed within 6 weeks of purchase. Issue was the poles were too short to properly space the lines. Utility ended up installing new poles, power line, and fiber. My neighbors were endlessly grateful that I bought as they had wanted it for years and had to drive to downtown Bristol for Internet, the power line was so old is constantly cut out, and the old telephone lines were like a party line when it rained.
Oh man that would drive us crazy.

Old 03-30-2022, 04:27 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,357,789 times
Come for a visit and get a real feel for what the area is like. Looking at a map is not going to give you an accurate picture of what its really like here. What appears to be many small towns surrounding KNoxville (on many maps) are really just communities within the greater Knox City/County area.
Keep in mind that when you venture out into the sticks, internet strength can be sketchy, same with cell coverage.
Many people think that Tennessee's a bargain basement for real estate. They want a small house, with a few acres, mountain views or in the mountains, and on or near the water, within 1/2 hour of Walmart, and would like to get it for $100,000. Thats just not realistic. While Tennessee real estate prices are much lower than many parts of the country, they are certainly not cheap. There was an article in the News Sentinel this morning how the median price of homes is out of reach of most people. Rentals have gone up, and are also hard to find. Homes have multiple bids often tens of thousands over asking price.

A visit to the area is the best way to see if its the right places for you. When we were thinking of relocating from CA in 1994, we spent a week in Knoxville to see if it clicked all of our buttons. Obviously it did, we love it here. But we've also have friends come and go for various reasons. One just never adjusted to KNoxville. A few had their companies leave KNoxville, and they went with them. One lost their job and couldn't find another in their field.
The last thing I will leave you with is sometimes when You go way out in the sticks, the locals are not always the friendliest.
Come for a visit, drive all over the place, and talk to as many people as you can. Good luck with your venture.

Old 03-30-2022, 04:39 PM

My husband got a week off end of April for our 20th Anniversary. We booked a placed in Elizabethton. I found out our best friends mom lives in Elizabethton. Our friend and her husband goes there every summer. She loves it there and is planing on moving there when her husband's daughter is older.

Old 03-30-2022, 05:24 PM

143 posts, read 222,819 times
Quote:
My husband got a week off end of April for our 20th Anniversary. We booked a placed in Elizabethton. I found out our best friends mom lives in Elizabethton. Our friend and her husband goes there every summer. She loves it there and is planing on moving there when her husband's daughter is older.
I hope it's a rental. The two hotels in Elizabethton are flea traps. There are plans to build a new hotel near the hospital but I don't where that stands.

Old 03-30-2022, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzytx View Post
I hope it's a rental. The two hotels in Elizabethton are flea traps. There are plans to build a new hotel near the hospital but I don't where that stands.
It's a cabin rental on a farm.

Old 04-23-2022, 02:15 PM

Tomorrow is the day we will be heading out of Ohio to visit Tennessee. My husband wants to get a hotel halfway so we can enjoy our very first vacation ever together. We cannot check into the cabin we rented on Monday anyways. I am trying to convince him to leave early enough tomorrow and drive all the way through to Tenn and get a overnight stay somewhere in Tenn. BUT We are taking back road trip to take our time out because we love backroads over highways.

Has anyone traveled from West Ohio side to Tennessee. Say from like Dayton Ohio? We are looking to be driving through east Kentucky close to WV border down to Tenn. What is your suggestion to Scenic routes?

Old 04-23-2022, 02:44 PM

35,197 posts, read 31,523,947 times
Quote:
Tomorrow is the day we will be heading out of Ohio to visit Tennessee. My husband wants to get a hotel halfway so we can enjoy our very first vacation ever together. We cannot check into the cabin we rented on Monday anyways. I am trying to convince him to leave early enough tomorrow and drive all the way through to Tenn and get a overnight stay somewhere in Tenn. BUT We are taking back road trip to take our time out because we love backroads over highways.

Has anyone traveled from West Ohio side to Tennessee. Say from like Dayton Ohio? We are looking to be driving through east Kentucky close to WV border down to Tenn. What is your suggestion to Scenic routes?
I’d go down I-75 to Corbin, KY, exit 29. From there, take the Wilderness Road to Cumberland Gap, then go south into TN toward Morristown.

Old 04-23-2022, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I’d go down I-75 to Corbin, KY, exit 29. From there, take the Wilderness Road to Cumberland Gap, then go south into TN toward Morristown.
We hate taking 75! We are planning on taking back roads tho. But I'll bring that up with my hubby!!!

Old 04-23-2022, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Your not kidding, I am going to show my husband this. Mmm getting a room we could take our time walking around there would really make our trip memorable. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee