Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2021, 11:19 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times

Advertisements

I just want to warn people not to move here if you take a nasal decongestant that contains pseudoephedrine, ephedrine or phenylpropanolamine daily so you can breathe through your nose. In addition to the federal law that states:

Federal Purchase Limits
You may purchase no more than 3.6 grams in a single day.
You may purchase no more than 9.0 grams within 30 days.

Tennessee purchase limits makes it even harder to buy these supposedly over-the-counter medicines. One box of Claritin D, 12 hour, 30 count has 3.6 grams. So if you take 1 pill per day, you would have to purchase it once per month to breathe through your nose for 12 hours per day and since it's non-drowsy, I assume most people would use something else to be able to sleep through the night. For a 365 day period you would need 12 boxes x 3.6 grams or 43.2 total grams over a period of a year.

Now look at what Tennessee has done to the Federal Law:

Tennessee Purchase Limits
You may not purchase more than 28.8 grams within a 365 day period.
You must be at least 18 years old to purchase.
You may not purchase more than 5.76 grams within a 30 day period.

"To comply with the Combat Meth Epidemic Act of 2005, we electronically monitor sales of products containing ephedrine, pseudoephedrine, and phenylpropanolamine."

So, you could do the 1 box per month purchase thing with Claritin D (12 hr, 30 count) and meet federal guidelines but you will hit a wall on the Tennessee annual part of the law and your local pharmacy will prevent you from purchasing it. Plus, they generate a receipt of non-purchase (at least they do in Walgreens) when you are denied purchase that sends you to a website so you can figure out why you personally were denied. The store says they don't know.

In other words, Tennessee treats everybody like a meth head. I have inquired if a prescription overrides the Tennessee law. Will post again if and when I get an answer.

Old 06-04-2021, 05:55 PM

143 posts, read 220,467 times
My husband has a prescription from his doctor. Our insurance won't cover it but he gets enough to carry him through the day.

Old 06-05-2021, 04:27 AM

712 posts, read 1,487,674 times
I just wanted to point out that Tennessee law has been extraordinarily effective at cutting down on domestic meth lab production in the state. To put this into some perspective, at it's peak Tennessee and Missouri were the top states for meth lab seizures, at over 2,000 seizures per year. This number has consistently declined since the passage of the law, to less than 50/year now statewide.

As you say, there are downsides mainly having to do with the inconvenience to those who need these medications for legitimate purposes. It is also misleading for me to suggest that meth usage has gone down that much in TN, as increases in the drug being smuggled across the southern border has largely offset the decline in domestic production.

Old 06-05-2021, 08:37 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchometeam View Post
As you say, there are downsides mainly having to do with the inconvenience to those who need these medications for legitimate purposes. It is also misleading for me to suggest that meth usage has gone down that much in TN, as increases in the drug being smuggled across the southern border has largely offset the decline in domestic production.
Not having as many meth labs means fewer neighborhoods, families and children are exposed to the problems associated with the cooking of meth. A win IMO. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6926576/

Old 06-06-2021, 10:42 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times
I agree with the OP. Those drugs restricted were sold for years and they are much more effective. The fact that criminals use those drugs to cook meth is irrelevant to those who need access to those drugs in order to not be miserable.

Maybe we should stop letting druggies and meth makers out of jail and really crack down on them instead of punishing the law abiding population. It’s a lot like being in kindergarten when everyone puts their head down because little Jonny is talking in class.

Old 06-06-2021, 05:31 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,242,102 times
It doesn't change the fact of the ridiculous laws, but if you're taking medication 365 days a year to breathe I *highly* suggest looking into allergy shots. They've changed my life.

If you don't live near an allergy doctor, after you get tested most will allow you to take the allergen vials with you to be administered by anyone with medical training. It varies, though... during the build-up phase they may require you to get the shots at the allergy clinic because of the possibility of a full-system allergic reaction.

Old 06-06-2021, 10:29 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I agree with the OP. Those drugs restricted were sold for years and they are much more effective. The fact that criminals use those drugs to cook meth is irrelevant to those who need access to those drugs in order to not be miserable.

Maybe we should stop letting druggies and meth makers out of jail and really crack down on them instead of punishing the law abiding population. It’s a lot like being in kindergarten when everyone puts their head down because little Jonny is talking in class.
Agreed. Banning or restricting people from buying these medications because some criminals might also buy them for illegal purposes is wrong and foolish. Why punish innocent people for the actions of criminals? It's like gun laws that are used to punish and restrict the rights of innocent, law abiding people based on what criminals might do.

Old 06-08-2021, 10:41 AM

36,519 posts, read 30,847,571 times
I worked with two women who had to take prescription Claritin and other decongestants year round. My doctor has prescribed Claritin to me also. Never known anyone to have difficulty getting their scripts.

Old 06-08-2021, 12:31 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,284,584 times
The whole Sudafed thing got ginned up years ago during the height of the meth crisis. That seems to have passed and it's time to reevaluate that position.

Old 06-08-2021, 01:18 PM

3,043 posts, read 3,311,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I worked with two women who had to take prescription Claritin and other decongestants year round. My doctor has prescribed Claritin to me also. Never known anyone to have difficulty getting their scripts.
Common versions of Claritin, Zantac, Tussin, other meds now generic can be readily available. D versions may be behind the counter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee