Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2021, 08:44 AM

18 posts, read 32,684 times

Advertisements

Okay I’m back! I thought I had my move narrowed down to rural cities near Knoxville but now nashville is back in the mix!

I’m looking for recommendations to help narrow my search on rural cities near nashville and Knoxville.
I am a single young professional (registered nurse) I’m looking to move to a rural city but somewhere close no longer than 40 mins to a hospital/clinic. I would like about 2-5 acres of land with a barn or somewhere where I could build a barn. I’d like to have 1-2 horses (I barrel race as well). Price range between 200k-300k, no more than 375k. I’ll also be going back to school, I was looking into UTK but recently saw Vanderbilt university offers a masters program I’m interested in. I’m very outdoorsy, hiking/lakes etc but love the idea
Of downtown nashville as I’m a huge country music fan. I’d like to narrow down my search and then start applying for jobs. I’m currently in the military and in San Diego but will be separating February of 2022. Recommendations on when I should start actively starting the buying process would also help as well!

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2021, 09:04 AM

10,055 posts, read 14,418,692 times
I travelled through the Bell Buckle, Wartrace, and Shelbyville, TN areas early last year, which are located southeast of Nashville, with I-24 being about 10-25 minutes or so away. The area is gorgeous with rolling hills, farmlands, a mix of super nice gated homes, and smaller new subdivisions and rural areas with homes and barns and animals.

Bell Buckle has a charmingly cute downtown that is very quaint and small yet takes you back in time.

Murfreesboro, which has a hospital or two, is 30-40 minutes away from Bell Buckle, and Shelbyville has a hospital/clinic too, if interested in being closer to that area, since prices look to be less.

I was just super impressed how stunningly beautiful that countryside is around there. Nashville is about an hour and 10 mins to an hour and a half away.

Old 02-14-2021, 09:13 AM

1,398 posts, read 2,506,497 times
Tullahoma and Winchester Micropolitan area is the second strongest in Tennessee behind Sevierville. One of the top 20 strongest in the nation. https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/...nessee/541392/

Old 02-14-2021, 02:24 PM

3,037 posts, read 3,304,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRMAC7 View Post
Okay I’m back! I thought I had my move narrowed down to rural cities near Knoxville but now nashville is back in the mix!

I’m looking for recommendations to help narrow my search on rural cities near nashville and Knoxville.
I am a single young professional (registered nurse) I’m looking to move to a rural city but somewhere close no longer than 40 mins to a hospital/clinic. I would like about 2-5 acres of land with a barn or somewhere where I could build a barn. I’d like to have 1-2 horses (I barrel race as well). Price range between 200k-300k, no more than 375k. I’ll also be going back to school, I was looking into UTK but recently saw Vanderbilt university offers a masters program I’m interested in. I’m very outdoorsy, hiking/lakes etc but love the idea
Of downtown nashville as I’m a huge country music fan. I’d like to narrow down my search and then start applying for jobs. I’m currently in the military and in San Diego but will be separating February of 2022. Recommendations on when I should start actively starting the buying process would also help as well!

Thanks in advance!
If you attend school at Vanderbilt maybe get an apartment in Bellevue & be about 30 minutes from there. Then one you have your masters go on somewhere else.

Old 02-14-2021, 05:21 PM

143 posts, read 220,188 times
I would also look into the cost difference between UT-Knoxville and Vanderbilt for advanced nursing degrees if that might be an issue with you. If I remember correctly then Vanderbilt is pretty pricy.

Old 02-14-2021, 06:30 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:

Thanks in advance!
Check out Cookeville. It's home to Tennessee Tech University which also has masters and doctoral programs in nursing. It's an hour east of Nashville and has the largest rural hospital in the state and is partnered with Vanderbilt. It also has a large VA clinic, the only one in the 14-county region. It's a very outdoorsy town with 150 documented waterfalls within 40 minutes of town as well as hundreds of miles of lake shoreline and a bunch of state parks and a national recreation area. The state has called Cookeville the "waterfall oasis in Tennessee."

Even though it's the fastest growing micropolitan area in the state and one of the 10 fastest growing in the nation, you can easily get acreage of beautiful land within your budget. Here are samples of homes on at least 2 acres that have recently sold to give you an idea:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...1999415_zpid/?

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...41993700_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...1258936_zpid/?

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...41996609_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9...81237255_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...41982881_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6...2600557_zpid/?

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by JMT; 02-14-2021 at 09:16 PM..

Old 03-03-2021, 09:25 AM

506 posts, read 1,474,414 times
I would give Knoxville an edge in cost of living, hiking/outdoors and having a more "rural" feel outside of town.

Nashville would have an edge as a single young professional and nightlife. I don't know if you are going to get what you are looking for in Nashville at that price point without being around an hour away from the city.

Not sure how much that helps, but wanted to throw that out there.

Old 03-03-2021, 10:29 PM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times
Quote:

Thanks in advance!
I am surprised no one has mentioned Clarksville. The city has many nice rural areas and affordable housing. In your price range you could find what you are looking for. While Clarksville is midsized, it retains more of a rural feel. It is a military town and has a fast growing medical community. Hiking and outdoor activities are plentiful as well. You would be 40-50 mins from Vanderbilt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee