Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2021, 05:24 AM

1 posts, read 6,646 times

Advertisements

My family is looking to move out of NY (trying to escape the insane cost of living, lack of space, crime in the city, etc). I’m a teacher and my husband is a police officer but if we move he may try to return to teaching. Of course we need to find jobs first. (Sorry, I’m rambling).

I know from my research that Williamson county has excellent schools but the housing market seems limited and I’m also not really interested in moving to an area that will be overcrowded. My question is, are places like mount Juliet or Maryville equally as good? Are there any other areas that I should be looking into? Schools, safe area, and of course job potential are #1.

I know Maryville is much further than Spring Hill and the other suburbs of Nashville but that area appeals to me the most (while researching). My concern is there not being potential for jobs as a teacher and enough for our kids to do there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2021, 02:54 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,720,623 times
Maryville is nearly 200 miles from Spring Hill or Mount Juliet.

What kind of housing budget are you talking about?

Old 02-07-2021, 03:07 PM

730 posts, read 815,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millie721 View Post
My family is looking to move out of NY (trying to escape the insane cost of living, lack of space, crime in the city, etc). I’m a teacher and my husband is a police officer but if we move he may try to return to teaching. Of course we need to find jobs first. (Sorry, I’m rambling).

I know from my research that Williamson county has excellent schools but the housing market seems limited and I’m also not really interested in moving to an area that will be overcrowded. My question is, are places like mount Juliet or Maryville equally as good? Are there any other areas that I should be looking into? Schools, safe area, and of course job potential are #1.

I know Maryville is much further than Spring Hill and the other suburbs of Nashville but that area appeals to me the most (while researching). My concern is there not being potential for jobs as a teacher and enough for our kids to do there.
I highly recommend you check out the Cookeville area. It has excellent schools and is much more affordable than Williamson County and Mt Juliet but it's only an hour from the Nashville airport. It's a fast-growing area but not the crazy growth like in the Nashville suburbs. It's very family friendly with lots to do for kids (children's museum, children's library, children's theater, etc). It's also in a beautiful area with over 100 waterfalls, huge lakes, and a bunch of state parks within 40 minutes of town.

Check out this recent episode of House Hunters where a couple from California zeroed in on Cookeville as where they wanted to live and raise their family. The wife was a teacher and got a teaching job in Cookeville. At the end of the episode during the follow-up they said they love Cookeville so much that they got their siblings and parents back in Cali to also make the move.

Last edited by JMT; 02-07-2021 at 06:00 PM..

Old 02-07-2021, 06:16 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
Please consider researching respective sub-forums further about these cities (Nashville and Knoxville) to help you learn. There is also a Cookeville sub-forum. Then you can potentially visit the selected areas.

Members can help you further in those specific sub-forums.

Old 02-13-2021, 07:14 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,508,832 times
Maryville is very very different from the other two. First, location. Maryville (pronounced "Murrvuhl") is just south of Knoxville and only recently has become more of a suburban enclave to that city. It has historically been one of the larger independent town in Tennessee and has a very quaint downtown. Part of that owes to the presence of Maryville College (PC-USA) which sits at the southern edge of the downtown. It is also a gateway to the Great Smoky Mountains. Lately, as expressways have made it easier to travel to various parts of Knoxville, the town has become an extension of the suburbs there. It has some very beautiful parts, but it is adjacent to Alcoa, named for the company that operates an aluminum smelting plant there. The Knoxville airport, a respectably busy mid-to-small sized airport is in Alcoa.

The other two cities are characteristically suburban 'bedroom' communities. The term connotes newer residents of the area and typically with younger children. As far as suburbs of Nashville go, they are very new. Mount Juliet has some relation to Old Hickory Lake, but the land that fronts it is a bit out of reach, both in terms of availability and price. Hendersonville by contrast has grown up around the lake (on the other side). Spring Hill has a bit of the Williamson 'new money' vibe going for it. And of course, you'll have the Williamson schools there.

Old 02-18-2021, 10:50 AM

111 posts, read 136,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinestx View Post
Maryville (pronounced "Murrvuhl")
We cool with them country boyz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeXA4IriOcA

Old 02-18-2021, 11:57 AM

4,383 posts, read 4,388,108 times
If you have not been here and looked around in person I highly recommend you do so. We moved here from Pensacola, Fl and came at least 6 times to look around and see what we liked and what we didn't.

We live near Maryville now but we have relatives in Smyrna so we also looked at Mount Juliet and Murfreesboro. We also looked at Oak Ridge here in the Knoxville area.

All these places have pros and cons and you need to take a look personally to find out which is best for you.
Just about every place in Tennessee worth living in is growing. Housing costs are rising in both the Nashville and Knoxville markets.

There are jobs but they won't pay as well as the jobs you have in NY. But it won't cost as much to live here.

We chose here to be close to the Smokies and the lakes/rivers in this area. Between Maryville, Farragut and Knoxville we have access to anything we could possible need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee