Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2020, 07:34 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,326,725 times

Advertisements

I travel across the country on I-40 on a regular basis. There are tons of places to stop and pee, eat, fuel. Tons of hotels, too. You'll be fine.

Google maps will show you ALL of that and more.

Make sure you download it on your phone. As you travel, you can do a search for anything you need along the way, complete with reviews, minutes out of your way, etc.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2020, 09:44 PM

9,473 posts, read 10,820,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HikingFairy View Post
Also, I just did a search of Williams, AZ, and it's really pretty! I love pine trees, mountains, and forest, so it looks like the perfect stop for Night 1.
Williams Arizona is a nice place. Cool town.

Old 03-07-2021, 01:38 PM

39,876 posts, read 26,546,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I 40 is far enough south that snow should not be a worry in October on almost all of it with the exception of high elevation out west.

Towing a trailer with a Subaru? I would check the tow rating of the car. That is a LONG drive with a trailer.....could be considerable strain on the car to do that. A Subaru dealer could give you some advice on this.

I 40 is likely the easiest way from southern CA to TN. There are a lot of isolated places though. Beauty? The prettiest parts of I40 are in parts of Arizona and New Mexico. The Texas panhandle and Oklahoma are long, dull and go on forever. You won’t find anywhere on the interstate system with 8 hour stretches with no gas, food or bathrooms. I would not worry about that. Arkansaw and Tennessee are much nicer for driving across on 40 as you will see the return of green and trees. One of the prettiest parts of I 40 in the whole stretch is a part you won’t see....East Tennessee and western North Carolina. At the State line 5-6 thousand foot mountains rise up all around you as you pass through the stretch of I-40 known as “the gorge”. Once your here you can take a trip to Asheville NC and see it...beautiful area. Your Subaru will be right at home in “crunchy” Asheville. Asheville is a nice place for a getaway weekend...lots to do there.

I took a cat on a 700 mile drive once. I’ll warn you they hate it. If your moving though there is no choice. Cats hate cages, they hate cars and they hate change. This trip is a felines worst nightmare. Talk to your vet....they can help.

Be careful and have a safe trip across the country.
We have ended up being somewhat of a cat rescue over the years. Have a friend that works for the local shelter, and we agreed to foster some when they needed help. We became "foster fails" (ended up adopting them). So, at the moment, we have 10....and will be moving from Idaho to somewhere in East TN. Planning on buying some thin, 4/8 plywood, ripping some strips so I can build 3 shelves with access, and make a 3-level carrier. Litter boxes on the lower, the rest space for the cats. Hope to not let them out until we're across. In comparison, the 4 dogs will be easy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee