Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2020, 08:58 PM

121 posts, read 127,069 times

Advertisements

Was just reading on another thread that flies and mosquitoes are bad in TN. Saw a long thread about drain flies on a FB post too. It's got me wondering about bugs in TN.

Is there anything really bad, particularly annoying, etc? Here in CT, we get swarms of stinkbugs, ticks of all kinds and super annoying black flies that will attack you on hikes in wooded areas in the spring. They are tiny and will fly up your nose (!)

Wondering what it's like in TN and if the mosquitoes and flies are as bad as he was saying? I realize that was just one person, but would appreciate your thoughts, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2020, 05:36 AM

235 posts, read 194,124 times
Moving from Wisconsin to TN I can compare both. There are Gnats on the golf courses but they aren't that bad and only in the late afternoon are they apparent. The mosquitoes are here but they are very small compared to the giants in Wisconsin. Ticks are prevalent but if you stay out of the woods and tall grass they are not a problem. There are something called Chiggers that like to bite you on your lower legs and ankles. You can't see them but the bites do itch quite a bit. Lots of spiders but we treat our outside areas with Home Defense and don't seem to have a problem.

Old 09-23-2020, 09:17 AM

4,704 posts, read 25,365,903 times
Mosquitos are a problem here, but its really relative. We get our home treated during the summer months so we can spend time in the yard.
Ticks are very common and can be anywhere there is tall grass, or in the woods.

Old 09-23-2020, 01:24 PM

1,671 posts, read 1,935,079 times
Buy high ground, stay out of the low lands even if they aren’t designated as flood plains.

If the ground drainage is poor spend the money on French drains and let an expert landscaper suggest what you might need a d now it should be arranged.

Keep your acreage well mowed.

We have 24+ acres that sits at ~1000 feet and has the best natural drainage one could ask for. I still have horses, which means manure. We are surrounded by woods and beef cattle.

We keep everything Bush hogged and mowed. We only have pest control on the outside of the house due to Black Widows, as my high blood pressure might go in a tizzy if I were to get bit.

Day before yesterday, I saw I saw my 6th or 7th mosquito for the season - and I’m not kidding.

We had chiggers when we first moved here but they left town after we started keeping everything mowed.

We also have a lot of song birds, Barn Swallows and five Purple Martin Houses. The Swallows and Purple Martins do a stellar job keeping certain flying insects under control.

Mud Daubers kill Black Widows, so do not kill the Mud Daubers

Ticks & fleas are the biggest issue. Keep your dogs on something. We have a 1/4 acre fenced back yard. We put Sevin Dust down in Spring, plus keep that yard mowed as short as the mower deck will go, to keep the flea/tick issue down to a dull roar.

I don’t allow spraying of any sort around the horse barn, but even so, the insect population is not that bad.

Buy good ground that drains at a 15 on a scale of 1-10, keep everything mowed, keep weeds And bushes from growing against the house, and consider hiring a pest control service.

If nothing else hire a service that will put termite stations around the house. That is a huge deal for me keeping termites away. Ours get checked quarterly

Old 09-23-2020, 09:28 PM

902 posts, read 814,178 times
Don’t forget about spider crickets, which will be pretty much everywhere there’s a damp, cool spot like a crawlspace, basement or damp bath towel after taking a shower (happens to us a bunch).

https://bugspray.com/spider_cricket_control.html

Went under the house recently to do some plumbing work and there must have been 200 of them scattered across the foundation walls. We’re at elev. 1800’ in ETN and kill 1-2 per day in the basement this time of year. Wife absolutely hates them, myself not so much as I’ve read up on them some.

Never approach one directly from the front as their anatomy only allows them to jump forwards and not sideways or backwards. First time my wife encountered one she thought it was chasing her as it kept coming towards her as she ran away. Lol

They’re pretty hard to totally get rid of, as are the gnats here in TN too. We call them “ninja bugs” as they bite you without you ever knowing they were there.

Chiggers are the worst though if you get into a patch of them. Expect hundreds of extremely itchy mosquito like bites that last for days and spread across the body by the chiggers which can’t be seen. Used to be a land surveyor and have had that pleasurable experience more than my fair share of times, with various scars to show for it.

Last edited by VinceTheExplorer; 09-23-2020 at 10:30 PM..

Old 09-24-2020, 10:03 AM

1,671 posts, read 1,935,079 times
I THINK I may have seen a few of those spider crickets at the barn. Never at the house, so the pest control must take care of them up,here.

I have a real cricket at the barn that I would like to pop because he won’t shut up at night - all night - until daylight. The only good thing about his night serenading is I know if something comes into the barn because he shuts up. I don’t know how my horses get any sleep, having to listen to him. ——

Old 09-24-2020, 07:51 PM

Had those in NY. Those are some of the nastiest bugs ever. I hate the way they jump!!

Old 09-25-2020, 09:14 AM

4,704 posts, read 25,365,903 times
I thought they were called cave crickets. As a home inspector, I was in crawlspaces almost every working day (for 30 years). The creepy part was when the would hop around on the plastic vapor barrier. Being in tight dark places and hearing odd sounds is unsettling to say the least.
You are not likely to run across them unless you plan on spending time under the house.

Old 09-25-2020, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
I thought they were called cave crickets. As a home inspector, I was in crawlspaces almost every working day (for 30 years). The creepy part was when the would hop around on the plastic vapor barrier. Being in tight dark places and hearing odd sounds is unsettling to say the least.
You are not likely to run across them unless you plan on spending time under the house.
Phew! In my NY house, they were invested in the basement where the laundry room was (rental, crappy landlord.) One jumped into the washing machine while it was running, it was downright horrifying, lol.

Old 09-30-2020, 06:48 AM

36,817 posts, read 31,098,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
Same thing, common names vary by location. I have always called them cave crickets. We use to set traps under the house for them and use them for fishing bait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
View detailed profiles of: