Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2020, 12:12 AM

1 posts, read 1,085 times

Advertisements

Hi guys, we looking to move to TN near family, and I need to know about the local pitbull restrictions. (Advance notice because of the topic: please answer respectfully or your comment will be promptly reported; thank you!)

So while our family lives in Tennessee, we are having some issues moving there because we recently learned about the pet restrictions. Where we currently live, breed restriction laws don't exist; so our dog is used to going everywhere with us - especially hiking (mostly hiking actually), sometimes to fairs, and other outdoor activities. The cities we are considering (the main pick being Chattanooga) don't have any ordinances, but one website said pitbulls aren't allowed in parks and other public places across the state. However I wasn't able to find anything else online to confirm or debunk this info, so I guess it's time to ask the locals.

It would absolutely kill our pup to be stuck behind a fence or in the house for the next 10 years, so it's become an important discussion when picking a location. So can leashed pitbulls go on outings with the family in cities that have no ordinances against them, or is that not allowed because of state law?

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-29-2020, 07:16 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,833,646 times
Im not aware of any statewide ordinance. IDK about specific cities/town ordinances. I have had Pitbull's for several years along with other breeds. I recently lost my last one at a tender age of 15. I have lots of friends and family that own Pitts and have never known of anyone having a problem taking their dogs anywhere. I dont utilize dog parks but see Pits at city and state parks, flea markets, walking trails, etc.
I dont think you will have any issues taking your pup with you on outings.

Old 07-29-2020, 08:45 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,943,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrahG View Post
Hi guys, we looking to move to TN near family, and I need to know about the local pitbull restrictions. (Advance notice because of the topic: please answer respectfully or your comment will be promptly reported; thank you!)

So while our family lives in Tennessee, we are having some issues moving there because we recently learned about the pet restrictions. Where we currently live, breed restriction laws don't exist; so our dog is used to going everywhere with us - especially hiking (mostly hiking actually), sometimes to fairs, and other outdoor activities. The cities we are considering (the main pick being Chattanooga) don't have any ordinances, but one website said pitbulls aren't allowed in parks and other public places across the state. However I wasn't able to find anything else online to confirm or debunk this info, so I guess it's time to ask the locals.

It would absolutely kill our pup to be stuck behind a fence or in the house for the next 10 years, so it's become an important discussion when picking a location. So can leashed pitbulls go on outings with the family in cities that have no ordinances against them, or is that not allowed because of state law?

Thanks in advance!
There's no state-wide ordinance, but many local jurisdictions do have restrictions on pit bulls. Chattanooga doesn't, but a few suburbs of Chattanooga do. Here's a list of which counties and municipalities in Tennessee have restrictions:

https://www.dogsbite.org/legislating...-tennessee.php

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by JMT; 07-29-2020 at 12:47 PM..

Old 07-29-2020, 01:05 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,915,551 times
Great information from the previous posters.

What you do have to be very mindful of is homeowners insurance or renters insurance. It may be area dependent but some companies make their agents “sneak up” on homes suspected of owning so-called vicious breeds to see if the homeowner lied about having one of them.

I have a Rottweiler and a Catahoula/Pit Bull.. Neither on my insurance company’s Christmas list but I live in the toolies and my agent forgets that I own these dogs.

A county deputy sheriff lives 1,0000 feet thru the woods from me and he has. Bull Mastiff, lollol

What IS your responsibility, is to have your dog well trained starting with obedience classes and NEVER leave the dog off the leash when you are in public places or your home, if itis in some sort of close neighborHood.

Pit Bulls are sort of like women working in a man’s world ———- “they have to work twice as hard to prove they are half as good. Make sure the training is exemplary and all vaccinations are kept current so nobody has anything to complain about.

My dogs have a ~1\3 acre chain linked back yard to go out in, when we can’t be with them. However, they go to the barn every night, off leash, and they inspect fences daily on our 25 acres so they get plenty of exercise. To reiterate, we live on a 1-1/2 lane farm road with 18 houses on it — everybody out here has big dogs that bite in the night

Old 07-29-2020, 01:50 PM

True about the insurance. Some agents/companies wont insure you if you have certain breeds. I had Rotties for years and had to find an agent who also had Rotties. You may have to shop around for homeowners ins.

Old 07-29-2020, 02:22 PM

16,274 posts, read 10,398,910 times
My breed is German Shepherd and I can assure you it has been impossible to find a rental that accepts that breed. We have timed our move so we won't have our girl in all likelihood but now I need to wait to get a puppy until we move.

Old 07-29-2020, 05:13 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,484,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
There's no state-wide ordinance, but many local jurisdictions do have restrictions on pit bulls. Chattanooga doesn't, but a few suburbs of Chattanooga do. Here's a list of which counties and municipalities in Tennessee have restrictions:

https://www.dogsbite.org/legislating...-tennessee.php
Agree. Depending on where you select please check the local restrictions.

Old 07-30-2020, 04:04 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,514,297 times
The Rottweiler in our house belongs to our daughter--technically. The dog just loves the big back yard that's fenced. And for all she knows, she's a poodle--or at least acts like one.

The pit bull and male Rottweiler we previously had were our daughter's rescue dogs. The pit lived inside, and the rottie lived outside, however. We always were careful to keep'em apart.

But we lived on 4 acres at the end of a cul-de-sac. No one ever bothered us or stole anything with Hank outside.

Any owner just has to be very careful with big dogs commonly thought to be dangerous. And that often means walking them on leashes in public.

Old 07-31-2020, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
The Rottweiler in our house belongs to our daughter--technically. The dog just loves the big back yard that's fenced. And for all she knows, she's a poodle--or at least acts like one.

The pit bull and male Rottweiler we previously had were our daughter's rescue dogs. The pit lived inside, and the rottie lived outside, however. We always were careful to keep'em apart.

But we lived on 4 acres at the end of a cul-de-sac. No one ever bothered us or stole anything with Hank outside.

Any owner just has to be very careful with big dogs commonly thought to be dangerous. And that often means walking them on leashes in public.
That holds true for any breed, even ankle biters, IMO.
I have had quite a few dogs that were technically my sons. Funny how that works, huh..
The two hounds he rescued that have lived with me for two years are technically his.
I miss those Rottweilers. I had them for 18 years, great dogs.

Old 07-31-2020, 10:29 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,915,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
That holds true for any breed, even ankle biters, IMO.
I have had quite a few dogs that were technically my sons. Funny how that works, huh..
The two hounds he rescued that have lived with me for two years are technically his.
I miss those Rottweilers. I had them for 18 years, great dogs.
Lol. My son’s Rottweiler also lived with me, lol

Odin was mine to take to obedience classes, feed, take to the vet, and walk two miles every morning before I went to work.

But that dog LOVED my son. As soon as my son walked thru the door, Odin didn’t even know I existed, lollol

Rottweilers own the dog part of my soul. I’ve lost three to cancer - said never again - in late 2018 a state trooper friend called - that is how I ended up with Rottweiler #4, lolol - my first female Rottweiler and my goodness is she ever opinionated, lollol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee