Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2020, 03:51 PM

16 posts, read 23,297 times

Advertisements

I read on this site, https://www.tn.gov/agriculture/busin...ths%20of%20age.

If you are entering TN with dogs or cats, that they need a current health certificate from a vet within 30 days of entering if they will be in the state for more than 15 days.

We are moving to TN. I want to be a good citizen, but at the same time, I hate spending so much money if they dont even check.

Has anyone run into this upon moving to TN? Can they even enforce it? How do they know I'm staying for more than 15 days? I'll be in a car with 1 dog and my husband with be in our truck and fifth wheel (not the moving trailer) with our other dog. So it looks like we're just vacationing.

Should I bother spending the money on vet visits and health certificates?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2020, 04:13 PM

13,355 posts, read 39,974,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloonieMcFloonieNue View Post
I read on this site, https://www.tn.gov/agriculture/busin...ths%20of%20age.

If you are entering TN with dogs or cats, that they need a current health certificate from a vet within 30 days of entering if they will be in the state for more than 15 days.

We are moving to TN. I want to be a good citizen, but at the same time, I hate spending so much money if they dont even check.

Has anyone run into this upon moving to TN? Can they even enforce it? How do they know I'm staying for more than 15 days? I'll be in a car with 1 dog and my husband with be in our truck and fifth wheel (not the moving trailer) with our other dog. So it looks like we're just vacationing.

Should I bother spending the money on vet visits and health certificates?
Not that I'm encouraging anyone to break the law, but I honestly didn't even know that law existed. My niece recently moved from Texas to Cookeville and lets her cat out at night. She lives across the street from the sheriff's department. Twice, deputies returned her cat to her and never once asked if she had a current health certificate for her cat. In other words, I wouldn't worry about it.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 07-24-2020, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Not that I'm encouraging anyone to break the law, but I honestly didn't even know that law existed. My niece recently moved from Texas to Cookeville and lets her cat out at night. She lives across the street from the sheriff's department. Twice, deputies returned her cat to her and never once asked if she had a current health certificate for her cat. In other words, I wouldn't worry about it.
Ok, yeah. lol

I mean, even IF we were stopped at the boarder of TN for a vehicle check (and i dont even know if thats a thing there, it is in CA, but we border Mexico), I can just say we're passing through. Seems like a goofy law that's impossible to enforce. My dogs are current on Rabies and licensed. But a health cert? meh...

Old 07-24-2020, 04:35 PM

13,355 posts, read 39,974,327 times
Quote:
Ok, yeah. lol

I mean, even IF we were stopped at the boarder of TN for a vehicle check (and i dont even know if thats a thing there, it is in CA, but we border Mexico), I can just say we're passing through. Seems like a goofy law that's impossible to enforce. My dogs are current on Rabies and licensed. But a health cert? meh...
There's no border check here. So come on over and bring your fur baby! I honestly would not worry about that goofy law which, as you said, is almost completely unenforceable.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 07-24-2020, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
There's no border check here. So come on over and bring your fur baby! I honestly would not worry about that goofy law which, as you said, is almost completely unenforceable.
Cool. I will. Thank you! hahah
Should be an interesting adventure.

Old 07-24-2020, 06:05 PM

143 posts, read 220,761 times
I got one from my vet in Texas, just in case. No one ever questioned me about my cat.

Old 07-24-2020, 06:27 PM

6,473 posts, read 6,681,448 times
Add me to the list of people who had no idea about this law. I fly back and forth between the two places I live (St Croix and TN) several times a year, and do just the annual vet check and immunizations.

But I know how you feel. When I first googled about taking a dog into St Croix, I found a site (Dept of Agriculture, I think) that had very detailed health check paperwork to be filled out by a vet within 10 days of arriving on the island. So I took my dog and the form to our TN vet, paid for the visit, paid another 50 bucks (yep!) to have her fill out that form, and never was asked to see it, not by the airline, not at the St Croix airport, nothing. Needless to say I no longer do those health checks!

Good luck in your move, and I hope you love TN!

Old 07-24-2020, 08:20 PM

296 posts, read 266,042 times
Quote:
Cool. I will. Thank you! hahah
Should be an interesting adventure.
I just moved from Orange County to Tennessee, four dogs and I’ve not heard of this either.

Old 07-24-2020, 10:01 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:

We are moving to TN. I want to be a good citizen ...
Good. We want you to be one, too.

Quote:

... but at the same time, I hate spending so much money if they dont even check.

Old 07-25-2020, 05:18 PM

506 posts, read 1,476,144 times
Never heard of this law and I am a lawyer with a dog in TN.

I got my dog from MS and moved him to TN. Never been an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee