Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2020, 05:54 PM

2,534 posts, read 1,871,923 times

Advertisements

Maybe Chattanooga but do shopping in GA to avoid Tn's high sales taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2020, 05:54 PM

2,904 posts, read 1,877,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
I would stay away from Cleveland for the time being. It has jumped substantially with Covid cases and deaths. My daughter and SIL live in Cleveland.
Ignoring corona, if it wasn't a concern, what would your opinion of Cleveland be?

Covid is going to bounce from area to area and maybe even circle back around a 2nd time. I wouldn't move or not move to a town because of current covid cases (not talking about a big sense city it's not the same comparison)

Old 07-20-2020, 08:08 PM

361 posts, read 862,861 times
My wife and I moved to the Cleveland area just over 4 years ago. Cleveland is big enough to offer what most of what a person needs as far as dining, groceries and most shopping. For the things you may not find in Cleveland, Hamilton Place in Chattanooga is less than a half hour and Turkey Creek at Knoxville is about 50 minutes to a hour.

Some nice things with Cleveland is a great Greenway, some redevelopment in the downtown has started, the mountains are close by, both the Tennessee & Hiwassee Rivers are close by and traffic can be a little heavy but it is not like you will be setting in a traffic jam!

Hope this helps a little.

Old 07-26-2020, 07:43 PM

21 posts, read 18,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone1 View Post
My wife and I moved to the Cleveland area just over 4 years ago. Cleveland is big enough to offer what most of what a person needs as far as dining, groceries and most shopping. For the things you may not find in Cleveland, Hamilton Place in Chattanooga is less than a half hour and Turkey Creek at Knoxville is about 50 minutes to a hour.

Some nice things with Cleveland is a great Greenway, some redevelopment in the downtown has started, the mountains are close by, both the Tennessee & Hiwassee Rivers are close by and traffic can be a little heavy but it is not like you will be setting in a traffic jam!

Hope this helps a little.
Good feedback, thanks.

Old 08-01-2020, 04:37 AM

36 posts, read 45,321 times
We're also looking at moving from the Jacksonville, FL area to eastern TN. We've vacationed in Blue Ridge GA several times in the past 15 years and are finally ready to make the move. We're considering the Ellijay/Blue Ridge area, but GA taxes on income and vehicles are a downer. Does TN have an Ad-Valorem tax on vehicles like GA?

I work remote so I could live anywhere. Schools are not an immediate concern, but good schools are good for society and home prices.

Any thoughts/opinions on Copperhill or Ducktown?

Old 08-01-2020, 07:14 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,523,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pej7445 View Post
We're also looking at moving from the Jacksonville, FL area to eastern TN. We've vacationed in Blue Ridge GA several times in the past 15 years and are finally ready to make the move. We're considering the Ellijay/Blue Ridge area, but GA taxes on income and vehicles are a downer. Does TN have an Ad-Valorem tax on vehicles like GA?

I work remote so I could live anywhere. Schools are not an immediate concern, but good schools are good for society and home prices.

Tennessee doesn't have an ad valorem tax on autos, but their sales tax rates on vehicles when purchased is out of sight. Although I live just 5 mi. from TN, I don't keep track of how incoming vehicles are taxed.

As far as Copperhill and Ducktown goes, you wouldn't want to live there because there's very little society there. The Ocoee River to the west makes getting to Cleveland very difficult--crooked mountain road. Most people in the area live north of Blue Ridge, GA--10 miles to the south.

Old 08-02-2020, 06:59 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,407,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pej7445 View Post
The transfer tax is what will hurt. Otherwise the ad valorem tax ceased to exist. Plates renewals are $20. Your insurance will be half of what you are paying elsewhere. SSA is exempt as is the first $65000 from a pension plan.

Quote:
It’s an old copper mining town. Vegetation is finally coming back after two decades of remedial work. Shopping area is Blue Ridge 15 miles south. Only good thing is the BP station is a dime cheaper than McCaysville.

Old 08-02-2020, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post

As far as Copperhill and Ducktown goes, you wouldn't want to live there because there's very little society there. The Ocoee River to the west makes getting to Cleveland very difficult--crooked mountain road. Most people in the area live north of Blue Ridge, GA--10 miles to the south.
US 64 is the most direct route to Cleveland and is the thing about living up that way. Not hardly a crooked road. Only two bad turns and our commercial trucks do three runs daily on it. It’s a 45-50 min trip weekdays. Worse on weekends with the float operators clogging the road. Weather only closed it two days last winter.

The optional route takes you back down US 76 to Ellijay and over to I 75 then up thru the mess of Chattanooga to get there about 2-3 hours. I take 64 practically every day.

Old 08-02-2020, 08:13 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,523,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDawg View Post
US 64 is the most direct route to Cleveland and is the thing about living up that way. Not hardly a crooked road. Only two bad turns and our commercial trucks do three runs daily on it. It’s a 45-50 min trip weekdays. Worse on weekends with the float operators clogging the road. Weather only closed it two days last winter.

The optional route takes you back down US 76 to Ellijay and over to I 75 then up thru the mess of Chattanooga to get there about 2-3 hours. I take 64 practically every day.
We have a place in the NE GA Mountains at Helen, GA. So we too go up Hwy 64 often.

Most people don't realize that going from Ellijay over to Chattsworth is such a beautiful drive--coming off that mountain overlooking what's a huge river valley. It's a seriously vertical drop.

We sometimes go to the south end of Ellijay and go by Carter's Lake ending up in Resaca where we get on I-75 north to Chattanooga.

Old 08-03-2020, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
We have a place in the NE GA Mountains at Helen, GA. So we too go up Hwy 64 often.
Oh yeah over Blood mountain - plenty to make you sick there. I avoid it and the drive thru Suches like the plague.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee