Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 02:51 PM

2 posts, read 6,631 times

Advertisements

WHERE I AM:

I just moved to AZ last year after living in Florida 18 years. I moved to here to be near family, but after 6 weeks, I never felt so alone & realized that I was no longer in the south (no offense to those folks from AZ). To some, Florida isn't considered "the south", but I am originally from Mississippi and it did possess some of the things I missed, such as the southern hospitality, SEC-GO, BIG ORANGE! sweet tea (they don't even know what sweet tea is in Phoenix!) and grass!

WHAT I MISS!

I am a special education teacher, who misses her sense of community, network of friends, outdoor BBQ's, wine tastings, and walking the tree-lined streets that Old NE St. Pete (in FL.) offered, much like that of back home in Mississippi. I did spend a short time in the Tri-City area and liked what the area offered, but needed a bit more night life (not necessarily bars). I would aqlso like to meet "Mr. Right" and settle down one day, but don't think the Tri-City area had many options in that department.

[SIZE=3]I could go back to Florida[/SIZE][SIZE=3] (St. Petersburg[/SIZE][SIZE=3]) or Tennessee[/SIZE][SIZE=3], as I have no children and can go nearly anywhere with my career in education. Do I go back to what I know, or pursue a new life in Tennessee[/SIZE][SIZE=3] (then where do I begin to look?), which is something that has always intrigued me?[/SIZE]

Florida offers:
* My old routine
* Friends
* Home for the last 18 years
* Hurricanes/Humidity

Tennessee offers:
* Serves my passion for TN Football and Nascar
* God's Country-Mountains and Fresh Water
* Southern Hospitality
* I don't know a soul there!

Could someone offer me their perspective, advice and personal experiences with me? I am open and could use a little direction at this late stage of my life.

Thanks for any words of wisdom you can offer...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 03:04 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,207,730 times
Default "SWF 30-Something" thinking about relocating to TN-HELP!

Well, it kind of sounds like East Tenneseee would be your best bet, but you also need to live in one of the larger towns (so that limits your choices quite a bit). I would suggest learning more about Knoxville and Chattanooga, and if it seems like either of those are what you're looking for, then visiting the area. You might also consider Nashville; it doesn't have mountains but it has plenty of rolling hills, trees, and lots of places nearby to enjoy the countryside. There's also more nightlife in Nashville. And . . . you could become a Titans fan.

Old 04-27-2008, 05:18 PM

2 posts, read 7,193 times
Hi there from Northern Indiana...we also are thinking of moving on down to Carthage area...coming down this week to look at some property...we are retired and tired of this northern living..and lack of hospitality..can anyone who live in the area tell me about the Drs. and hospitals..also vets?..thanks donna

Old 04-27-2008, 05:55 PM

30 posts, read 90,336 times
Well, I can't offer much in regards to your questions. I can give you encouragement though! I moved to TN at the age of 37, not knowing a soul here. LOVE IT! Oh...and (surprise!) I met my Mr. Right 3 months after I got here (when I wasn't looking, of course).

As a young, single 30-something, I think it's a great place to move to. The cost of living allows you to own a house if you so choose, and there's plenty to do to help you get to know people.

Old 04-27-2008, 06:34 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,946,186 times
I went to grad school in Mississippi (Ole Miss) and am originally from Tampa. I used to live in Utah, and while people out West can be friendly and the scenery can be spectacular, I can definitely understand why you want to come back South!

I think Nashville is a fabulous city and has a lot to offer young professionals such as yourself. There's a ton of stuff to do, it's still very Southern, and the cost of living is pretty reasonable. You shouldn't have any problems finding a job in either Nashville or in one of its many booming suburbs.

One other advantage that Nashville has: its airport. Southwest has a hub in Nashville and offers inexpensive flights from Nashville to all over the country, including Tampa and other places in Florida for those times when you just have to get to the beach.

Good luck!

Old 04-27-2008, 10:41 PM

1 posts, read 2,971 times
Hi LadyVol - I'm a 33 yo SWM. I grew up in St. Pete and know the brick streets of NE St Pete you speak of well. I live in Tampa now, so I say, c'mon back! Just kidding, kind of... I actually would love to move to TN myself. Love the mtns, but am also quite intriqued by what I've read on these forums about Cookeville. Anyway, thanks for finally inspiring me to post...

Old 04-28-2008, 06:31 AM

4 posts, read 11,662 times
Hi, We lived in the St. Pete area you are talking about and then Sarasota. We still have our house there ...anyone interested!!!...We moved here 21/2 years ago and I love it. We are in our 50's and have open two business. One in Sewanee,TN the other we open in Sewanee, but just moved it to Winchester. I feel the people are very friendly...espically in a collage town (Sewanee is the University on the South.)
I sometimes think what did I do and then I travel to our cabin far away from it all and think...yes this is why.
If you would like more help you can reach me at my store Amazing Glaze in Winchester or Mountain Breeze Cafe in Sewanee.
Good luck.
Oh we didn't know a soul...family in St. Louis and Fl...both to hot for me.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:40 AM

4 posts, read 11,662 times
I didn't mention that teachers in our area seem very happy with there positions. I have four neighbors ladies that teach. Two are single.
Also, I think housing is still low enough to purchase. We bought a cabin on 9 acres under 130 two years ago.
Look in to Sewanee if you think you can handle the solutide. It is a small area, but lots of great things always going on. Culture of a mid town and the collage offers so much.
Bye again.

Old 06-28-2008, 12:27 PM

4 posts, read 10,546 times
Why? But more importantly Why?

OK. My opinion. I am 33 and have lived mostly in East TN (Chattanooga) all my life. IF you decide to go to TN, I would not move ANYWHERE but Nashville (I work out of nashville). And that is only IF. I am currently trying to get out of TN and to a bigger city. Here is the low-down on the men in the south. This is only the 30-40ish range I am commenting on.

Keep in mind, these are my opinions. I would call myself above average in looks and have dated some really hot guys (including models) in my life. (I travel with my job..however, the downfall is long distance relationships rarely work)

1. Momas boys in the south
2. Equal partner? not. Most southern men want a mama to marry and then trash for their pleasure
3. Hope you like pickup trucks and dead animals
4. Most men not educated (I have a Masters)
5. If they are the 30-40 range you have a couple of options: Never been married (VERY suspect in the mid to late 30s range since ppl in general in the south marry younger) OR Been married with a few kiddies and a crazy ex-wife.

Just a few things to think about. Now, I am sure there is some wonderful man sitting at home in TN somewhere just waiting for "the one" but in my experience, that is not the norm. However, TN (eastern only) is gorgeous. I would totally live there the rest of my life if I had a family. But as a single professional, forget it!

Good luck to you!

Old 06-28-2008, 03:32 PM

1,065 posts, read 3,868,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbelle117 View Post
Why? But more importantly Why?

OK. My opinion. I am 33 and have lived mostly in East TN (Chattanooga) all my life. IF you decide to go to TN, I would not move ANYWHERE but Nashville (I work out of nashville). And that is only IF. I am currently trying to get out of TN and to a bigger city. Here is the low-down on the men in the south. This is only the 30-40ish range I am commenting on.

Keep in mind, these are my opinions. I would call myself above average in looks and have dated some really hot guys (including models) in my life. (I travel with my job..however, the downfall is long distance relationships rarely work)

1. Momas boys in the south
2. Equal partner? not. Most southern men want a mama to marry and then trash for their pleasure
3. Hope you like pickup trucks and dead animals
4. Most men not educated (I have a Masters)
5. If they are the 30-40 range you have a couple of options: Never been married (VERY suspect in the mid to late 30s range since ppl in general in the south marry younger) OR Been married with a few kiddies and a crazy ex-wife.

Just a few things to think about. Now, I am sure there is some wonderful man sitting at home in TN somewhere just waiting for "the one" but in my experience, that is not the norm. However, TN (eastern only) is gorgeous. I would totally live there the rest of my life if I had a family. But as a single professional, forget it!

Good luck to you!
Merciful sakes alive. Whew!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee