Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2020, 11:22 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,521,481 times

Advertisements

Tennessee does have so many great communities and cities, especially in Middle and East Tennessee. It seems the farther you go east, the more beautiful the state is.

Old 04-19-2020, 11:56 PM

9,473 posts, read 10,818,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
Tennessee does have so many great communities and cities, especially in Middle and East Tennessee. It seems the farther you go east, the more beautiful the state is.
Now you gone and done it. Here comes the East vs West war lol.

Old 04-20-2020, 12:47 PM

366 posts, read 110,757 times
I'll take Maryville, just a great greenway system and nice people. Hard pass on Knoxville, I was born there but moved to NC(Belmont) for a few years so i think that may have spoiled me. Maryville is the closest thing.

Old 04-20-2020, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelinnen View Post
I'll take Maryville, just a great greenway system and nice people. Hard pass on Knoxville, I was born there but moved to NC(Belmont) for a few years so i think that may have spoiled me. Maryville is the closest thing.
Yep, Maryville's very nice in every way. Back door to the Smokies. There's a mountain between Maryville and Knoxville that keeps the two societies separate too.

Old 04-20-2020, 04:47 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,673,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelinnen View Post
Maryville was on our short list for our retirement. I really liked it when we visited, but for some reason it just didn't click with my wife. I remember we had lunch at Hot Rods Diner when we were there.

I haven't thought about Belmont in a long time. In the late 70s we lived in the Charlotte area and one of the people I worked with lived in Belmont. Whenever we would visit them we always remarked about how much we liked the area. When we got ready to have a house built we talked with a builder there but it just didn't work out. Wound up going south and building our house in Fort Mill SC.

Old 04-24-2020, 11:48 AM

377 posts, read 470,860 times
different cities have different strengths:

Knoxville is my favorite place to live because of so many fun things to do and good economy (and not as twangy as Nashville). One of the best places to live if you have school age children.
Maryville is my next favorite place to live because of the Greenway. There are more open spaces but fewer social things to do in the community. Another Great place to live if you have school age children.
Nashville is great for visiting -- taking in the country vibe, especially if you can spend the night at the Gaylord when it's 40 degrees outside! Don't like the traffic and cost of living though.
Chattanooga is a fun place to live (quaint feel) if you're single/young marrieds and there are nice restaurants. Might make my top 5 in TN to live.
Jonesborough is an interesting town.The International Storytelling Festival gives it a great vibe.
Greenville is on my list to visit because people say it's beautiful. I haven't been there.

Old 04-26-2020, 07:35 AM

506 posts, read 1,477,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathiOH1 View Post
different cities have different strengths:

Knoxville is my favorite place to live because of so many fun things to do and good economy (and not as twangy as Nashville). One of the best places to live if you have school age children.
Maryville is my next favorite place to live because of the Greenway. There are more open spaces but fewer social things to do in the community. Another Great place to live if you have school age children.
Nashville is great for visiting -- taking in the country vibe, especially if you can spend the night at the Gaylord when it's 40 degrees outside! Don't like the traffic and cost of living though.
Chattanooga is a fun place to live (quaint feel) if you're single/young marrieds and there are nice restaurants. Might make my top 5 in TN to live.
Jonesborough is an interesting town.The International Storytelling Festival gives it a great vibe.
Greenville is on my list to visit because people say it's beautiful. I haven't been there.
Just one slight correction: it is spelled Greeneville

I'm biased, but Greeneville is one of my favorites. The downtown is gorgeous and the town has some of the best mountain views around. There are so many wonderful outdoor areas in the surrounding Cherokee National Forest.

Jonesborough is a close #2.

Old 04-26-2020, 08:16 AM

Some of my favorite mountain views are over in Unicoi County just north of the TN/NC state line. That's east of Greeneville.

One of the strangest places is Sneedville. I once went over about 4 major mountain ranges from Rogersville to get there with cutbacks on each side of each mountain. And when I got there, the county seat was only 650 people--#95 county in population. No crime is there.

Old 04-26-2020, 09:23 AM

13,357 posts, read 39,994,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
Some of my favorite mountain views are over in Unicoi County just north of the TN/NC state line. That's east of Greeneville.

One of the strangest places is Sneedville. I once went over about 4 major mountain ranges from Rogersville to get there with cutbacks on each side of each mountain. And when I got there, the county seat was only 650 people--#95 county in population. No crime is there.
Splitting hairs here, but Hancock County is not #95 in population. It's #92. The smallest county in Tennessee by population is Pickett County.

Hancock County is losing population so it might end up being 95th at some point. Its population in 1940 was 11,231, and its 2010 population was 6,819. Its 2019 estimate was 6,620.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 05-01-2020, 03:05 PM

204 posts, read 121,330 times
I used to live in Knoxville. I liked it. No traffic, low crime, easy drive to the mountains. I probably would have liked it more had the job market been a little broader but I was there so my wife could go to grad school at UT. I also like Chattanooga a lot. Nashville is okay but I will admit that I only did a few days trips there so I don't really know enough about it to have a strong opinion.

Last edited by JMT; 05-01-2020 at 04:08 PM.. Reason: Let's keep this about favorite, not least favorite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee