Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 07:03 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,402,249 times

Advertisements

Atlanta's water supply comes from Lake Lanier. https://lakelanier.org/tag/water-supply/
No need for wells.

If the surveyors had done their job properly your portion of TN would be part of GA and TN river water would also have been used by every community downstream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2019, 04:20 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,243,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDawg View Post
Atlanta's water supply comes from Lake Lanier. https://lakelanier.org/tag/water-supply/
No need for wells.
Both Lake Lanier and Allatoona Lake. But they were built in the 1950's before Atlanta's surge in growth. They aren't large enough to supply Atlanta's massive population and industrial needs through the deepest droughts. You actually do need wells, but they won't do any good because there aren't any pockets of groundwater to tap. They needed to build more reservoirs last century to store more water; that would be almost impossible these days, because any water you catch and use is currently being used by someone else downstream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDawg View Post
If the surveyors had done their job properly your portion of TN would be part of GA and TN river water would also have been used by every community downstream.
True, my house is south of the 35th parallel and should be in Georgia.

But it's hard to get approval for mass cross-system water transfers these days, unlike early in last century when Los Angeles stole all the water from everyone else. It's long proven that when a large city starts sucking up water they just don't know when to quit; that's why the Colorado River no longer flows to the ocean.

Even if the border is moved it's unlikely Atlanta will be allowed to stick a big straw into the Tennessee. Not so much this year, but in years past some of the big power plants downstream of Chattanooga have had to partially shut down due to low flow.

Old 08-02-2019, 05:22 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,402,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
Both Lake Lanier and Allatoona Lake. But they were built in the 1950's before Atlanta's surge in growth. They aren't large enough to supply Atlanta's massive population and industrial needs through the deepest droughts. You actually do need wells, but they won't do any good because there aren't any pockets of groundwater to tap. They needed to build more reservoirs last century to store more water; that would be almost impossible these days, because any water you catch and use is currently being used by someone else downstream.

That maybe true, the getting a well permit is not allowed anymore. As long as there is available county water you can't dig.

Florida put up the stink about Chattahoochee water being used all the along the waterway and that they weren't getting enough for the oyster production on the Apalachicola. That's because the namby-pamby environmentalists won't allow a pipeline from Wakulla Springs to the bay. There's 40,000 gals of clean fresh water going into the ocean that could be used for the oysters. Instead they sued Georgia for more water. The Grand Master of the Courts has ruled against them twice - citing the available spring water available to them.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wakull..._Rate_G056.jpg

Old 08-05-2019, 06:34 PM

2,898 posts, read 1,868,294 times
I'm going to visit East TN and the smokies for my first time. Very excited I can't wait.

Old 08-06-2019, 04:39 AM

1,056 posts, read 725,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
I'm going to visit East TN and the smokies for my first time. Very excited I can't wait.
Have fun! Enjoy the rainforest!

Old 08-10-2019, 08:05 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,910,104 times
Quote:
East Tennessee is beautiful. Enjoy your trip!

Old 08-10-2019, 08:12 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,807,317 times
Lay of the land from the Foothills Parkway and don't forget to drive the new link!

Rainforest in Tennessee??-grsm_terrain_features.jpg

Last edited by Dave_n_Tenn; 08-10-2019 at 08:24 AM..

Old 08-14-2019, 07:00 AM

2,898 posts, read 1,868,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
East Tennessee is beautiful. Enjoy your trip!
It was a great trip. We thoroughly enjoyed TN.

Old 08-15-2019, 12:49 PM

1,056 posts, read 725,806 times
Quote:
It was a great trip. We thoroughly enjoyed TN.
Great!

Anyways, what does everyone else think of there being a rainforest in Tennessee?

Old 08-15-2019, 02:17 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,243,328 times
I've lived here for 14 years and had no idea about the designation until this thread. But having done a lot of hiking in the Smokies, I don't doubt it at all.

It can be incredibly humid with frequent rain and frequent low clouds/fog (hence the nickname "smokies"). Lots of amphibians (salamanders!), mushrooms, and dense foliage. Lots of springs and flowing creeks. On some sections of the AT it's as if you are hiking through a tunnel of rhododendron with sides and a roof. Gorgeous when in bloom!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee